Steve Mortimer lends support to Ray Dib as Bulldogs board rivals circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-factor

Y.N.W.A
Reaction score
RUGBY LEAGUE
NRL 2018: Steve Mortimer lends support to Ray Dib as Bulldogs board rivals circle

Steve Mortimer, one of the Bulldogs' favourite sons, has launched an impassioned defence of "misunderstood" Canterbury chairman Ray Dib and the incumbent directors amid an increasingly bitter power struggle at Belmore.

Club director Mortimer, who quit his official role last year after questioning the club's direction under former coach Des Hasler before later being reappointed, has asked for understanding from the Bulldogs' voting members after a summer of upheaval.

Dib supporter: Bulldogs director Steve Mortimer.
Dib supporter: Bulldogs director Steve Mortimer. Photo: Steve Christo
And he has lent his significant weight to Dib, who is facing a fight from the Lynne Anderson-led Reform ticket at the February 11 showdown for control at Canterbury.

"I don't think a lot of the Bulldogs supporters or members know exactly the person he [Dib] is," Mortimer said. "He's done a great thing for the Bulldogs. We don't have the debt like Parramatta.

"He's a very intelligent man and, yes, he has played for the Bulldogs – he didn't play too many first-grade games – but still he was there. He's a smart businessman and I think the Bulldogs supporters and our members need to get to know what a good person we have in the chairman position."

The Bulldogs board has already launched legal action against candidates of the rival Reform ticket after they alleged the current directors had hired a PR firm to compile a "dirt file" on the directors.

The Reform ticket includes Anderson's husband and former Bulldogs coach Chris as well as premiership-winning internationals Paul Dunn and Steve Price.

Dib's invitation for Mortimer to return to the fold has been seen as a shrewd one, and arguably the Bulldogs' greatest player has backed continuity in the boardroom as they head into the season with a new chief executive, coach and captain.

On Dib, Mortimer said: "I also employed him when I had two Athlete's Foot shops back in the '80s. I got to watch all the young blokes servicing people and Ray Dib was an absolute gentleman. He was very smart and going through university ... I just found him to be a gem of a person.

"He's a goer himself and everyone makes mistakes, but what we've done now with Dean Pay [means] the players are so happy.

"Dean Pay is very keen to get Canterbury-Bankstown Junior Rugby League up and running so we can also develop our own good footballers as well. Dean Pay is a country boy originally from Dubbo and he's won a premiership with the Bulldogs. He's basically respectful, humble and wants to help people."

Eighteen people will contest the Bulldogs board elections, including four independents to complement the seven incumbents and seven members of the Reform team.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love turvey, but his support of dib is extremely misguided. Especially after he chose Hasler over him last year.
Turveys support doesn’t change my feelings towards dib or the current board one bit.
One things for certain, once dib and his lackeys are gone, I’ll still have love for turvey.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
I respect Steve Mortimer and value his opinion and I don't hate Ray Dib or have any grudge against him but I also believe most of the reform members deserve a chance to be on the board just as much as Steve and Ray have.

I think it's important to vote for the best possible names each of us thinks is best and that means some from the current board perhaps and definitely some needed from the reform ticket.

At the moment my favoured outcome for the next board is something like this.

Lynne Anderson as new Chairman
Arthur Coorey
Steve Mortimer
Steve Price
John Ballesty
Chris Anderson
Luke Brailey

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s starting to get heaps messy
Hope this doesn’t in any way shape or form affect the side and it’s start to the season

Need a strong and competent front office

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think most of the reform ticket are dead in the water after the past week of stuff coming out (and legal action against them).

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love turvey, but his support of dib is extremely misguided. Especially after he chose Hasler over him last year.
Turveys support doesn’t change my feelings towards dib or the current board one bit.
One things for certain, once dib and his lackeys are gone, I’ll still have love for turvey.
Im not really sold on either group tbh. Dib has done some stupid shit, and the reform ticket are yet to prove their worth. But if Mortimer of all people still sees good in him, and is still supporting him, then i cant understand why anyone else has so much mistrust for him. That says a lot to me.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I respect Steve Mortimer and value his opinion and I don't hate Ray Dib or have any grudge against him but I also believe most of the reform members deserve a chance to be on the board just as much as Steve and Ray have.

I think it's important to vote for the best possible names each of us thinks is best and that means some from the current board perhaps and definitely some needed from the reform ticket.

At the moment my favoured outcome for the next board is something like this.

Lynne Anderson as new Chairman
Arthur Coorey
Steve Mortimer
Steve Price
John Ballesty
Chris Anderson
Luke Brailey
I totally agree with your first 5, having 2 ex footballers is about the right mix, I believe that Turvey and Price are the 2 best available of the 4 standing.
Chris Anderson I say NO his refusal to shake Dib's hand proves that he to unprofessional.
Luke Brailey appears to have only one issue that is to play all the games at Belmore, running a football club is involves running a business. The financial strength of our Club is what keeps it alive. I believe that to play all the future games at Belmore might sound good for some, but it would be financially disastrous for the Club in the long term.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"I don't think a lot of the Bulldogs supporters or members know exactly the person he [Dib] is," Mortimer said. "He's done a great thing for the Bulldogs. We don't have the debt like Parramatta.”

The reason why the club isn’t it debt is because we have the pokies at our leagues club propping us up. It has nothing to do with Dib. If anything once we lose our court case with Hasler we will be out of pocket $1m thanks to Dib.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason why the club isn’t it debt is because we have the pokies at our leagues club propping us up. It has nothing to do with Dib. If anything once we lose our court case with Hasler we will be out of pocket $1m thanks to Dib.
Dib comes from a finance background ran his own finance business and also from memory he also was the founder of the Lebanon team etc the guy has the brains and he's a gentleman it will be hard to replace someone better than him at the moment.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Dib comes from a finance background ran his own finance business and also from memory he also was the founder of the Lebanon team etc the guy has the brains and he's a gentleman it will be hard to replace someone better than him at the moment.
He is a slimy con man who can't take responsibility for his fuck ups

Just blames everyone else and only made changes that are nessasary once time ran out for him.

If he was so smart he would have fucked of Des and listened to Steve Mortimer and terry lamb

The guy is a fucking retard

He couldn't run a cake stall

I'd have anyone as chairman over him

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think most of the reform ticket are dead in the water after the past week of stuff coming out (and legal action against them).
Fuck I hope not

Couldn't stand Dib in our club any longer

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
More than that
More like 2 mil

Sherlock Holmes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Turvy backs Dib to remain on the board then that's just reinforced my vote !

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Steve actually doesn't provide much of a case to keep him. Comon Steve don't lesson your legacy by defending that twit.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Steve actually doesn't provide much of a case to keep him. Comon Steve don't lesson your legacy by defending that twit.

Apart from being a bulldog legend. I don’t think he offers anything at board level. He’s best positioned in an ambassadors role. Ray only brought him back because his ticket is very weak.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not really sold on either group tbh. Dib has done some stupid shit, and the reform ticket are yet to prove their worth. But if Mortimer of all people still sees good in him, and is still supporting him, then i cant understand why anyone else has so much mistrust for him. That says a lot to me.
I agree 100% and exactly the way I see it

Turvey has the Dogs interests at heart 100%. If hes backing Dib, and wants him re-voted in, clearly there is good reasons for this, and Dib must be bringing somthing good to the table. Dib has been apart of the club since the 80s, he has built his own career in law, he is a bulldogs man.

I still dont see what the current board have done that was so terribly bad. If anything they sacked Hasler 1 year late and gave him too much control over the footy club (and that was justified to a degree with the results Hasler came here with after building the Manly team and winning 2 comps with them.

Im voting for Mortimer, and if he wants Dib to be part of the new board then thats good enough for me

The rival ticket have done nothing to.give me confidence. The non-handshake, getting Klemmer offside, their accusations of a dirt file without providing any proof have got them off on the wrong foot.. they dont give me any confidence.

I dont like that Lynn Anderson was on a shambolic Titans board till now, I also dont like a husband and wife on the same board

brockodore

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mortimer will be there no matter what. He knows he will be there if the whole reform ticket wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.