Steve Mortimer backs Ray Dib at Canterbury Bulldogs elections

Do you believe Ray Dib will win the election?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer will lend his heavyweight support to Canterbury chairman Ray Dib at the upcoming elections after satisfying himself the Bulldogs are on track to regain the culture that made them the "family club".

The blue and whites have gone back to their roots by reappointing Mortimer to the board and installing former players Dean Pay and Andrew Farrar as coach and head of football respectively. There was a feeling that Canterbury had gone away from the values that made the club so successful in its halcyon years under patriarch Peter "Bullfrog" Moore.

Mortimer and fellow great Terry Lamb felt the club was losing its way under previous coach Des Hasler, one of the few coaches who hadn't previously played for the Bulldogs.

Mortimer stepped down from the board after questioning the direction under Hasler, but accepted Dib's invitation to again become a director after Pay's appointment.

Bringing former Dogs back into the fold has been viewed as a shrewd political move by Dib, whose board will be up for re-election in February. However, Mortimer said Dib's only motivation was to ensure the Bulldogs return to their glory days.

"This is not about me, it's about the Bulldogs," Mortimer said.

"It's about what Terry Lamb said in finding our DNA again – and I don't think there's a problem there.

"The reason I'm doing it is out of respect for Ray Dib.

"I know there are other people who might have a different [opinion], but I have known Ray for 30 years and he's an absolute gentleman, he puts people before himself."

Mortimer's support of Dib was crucial at the 2014 elections when another former player, Paul Dunn, ran against the chairman. Dunn is considering putting together a ticket when members next go to the ballot box after a series of dramas at the club, including Hasler's alleged extension and sacking, a poorly managed salary cap and the controversial turnover of the playing roster.

Mortimer's support will again be crucial, although Hasler's intention to sue the Bulldogs over his contractual dispute could sway some fans. The man affectionately known as "Turvey" predicted there would be a new era of success under Pay.

"I'm absolutely delighted he's doing this," Mortimer said.

"The thing about Dean Pay is he's the same as me, my brothers or anyone else who came to us from the country – he's a Dubbo boy doing his best. He wanted to coach after [playing] and good luck to him.

"Ray Dib was very astute in picking a coach with a Bulldog background. The wonderful thing is that Dean Pay is looking at our junior rugby league and looking at developing players to play for those clubs because he believes there's nothing better than having local players capable of playing in the NRL.

"I feel comfortable being a director of the Bulldogs now because I can see a pathway as to where we are going.

"When I resigned, the last person's hand I shook was Des' and I wished him all the best."

Mortimer believed the club was getting back to the values instilled by Moore.

"Not many people realise Peter Moore was my mentor when I first came down when I was 19 years old to play for Canterbury-Bankstown," he said.

"That gave me a hell of a lot of confidence. Peter liked my style of play and along with my brothers he looked after us very well. We were very blessed."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rbury-bulldogs-elections-20171011-gyyyuv.html

Interesting how Steve is 100% convinced of Ray Dib's character and value to the Club. I guess knowing him for 30 years helps.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer will lend his heavyweight support to Canterbury chairman Ray Dib at the upcoming elections after satisfying himself the Bulldogs are on track to regain the culture that made them the "family club".

The blue and whites have gone back to their roots by reappointing Mortimer to the board and installing former players Dean Pay and Andrew Farrar as coach and head of football respectively. There was a feeling that Canterbury had gone away from the values that made the club so successful in its halcyon years under patriarch Peter "Bullfrog" Moore.

Mortimer and fellow great Terry Lamb felt the club was losing its way under previous coach Des Hasler, one of the few coaches who hadn't previously played for the Bulldogs.

Mortimer stepped down from the board after questioning the direction under Hasler, but accepted Dib's invitation to again become a director after Pay's appointment.

Bringing former Dogs back into the fold has been viewed as a shrewd political move by Dib, whose board will be up for re-election in February. However, Mortimer said Dib's only motivation was to ensure the Bulldogs return to their glory days.

"It's about what Terry Lamb said in finding our DNA again – and I don't think there's a problem there.

"I know there are other people who might have a different [opinion], but I have known Ray for 30 years and he's an absolute gentleman, he puts people before himself."

Mortimer's support of Dib was crucial at the 2014 elections when another former player, Paul Dunn, ran against the chairman. Dunn is considering putting together a ticket when members next go to the ballot box after a series of dramas at the club, including Hasler's alleged extension and sacking, a poorly managed salary cap and the controversial turnover of the playing roster.

Mortimer's support will again be crucial, although Hasler's intention to sue the Bulldogs over his contractual dispute could sway some fans. The man affectionately known as "Turvey" predicted there would be a new era of success under Pay.

"The thing about Dean Pay is he's the same as me, my brothers or anyone else who came to us from the country – he's a Dubbo boy doing his best. He wanted to coach after [playing] and good luck to him.

"Ray Dib was very astute in picking a coach with a Bulldog background. The wonderful thing is that Dean Pay is looking at our junior rugby league and looking at developing players to play for those clubs because he believes there's nothing better than having local players capable of playing in the NRL.

"I feel comfortable being a director of the Bulldogs now because I can see a pathway as to where we are going.

"When I resigned, the last person's hand I shook was Des' and I wished him all the best."

"Not many people realise Peter Moore was my mentor when I first came down when I was 19 years old to play for Canterbury-Bankstown," he said.

"That gave me a hell of a lot of confidence. Peter liked my style of play and along with my brothers he looked after us very well. We were very blessed."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rbury-bulldogs-elections-20171011-gyyyuv.html

Interesting how Steve is 100% convinced of Ray Dib's character and value to the Club. I guess knowing him for 30 years helps.
Don't know how I feel about this seriously 4weeks ago I would've kicked ray dibs teeth down his throat if I seen him,but now I really do feel he is trying to fix the wrongs he did in the first place weather that's enough for me to be happy for him to remain chairman or not I don't know maybe one more marquee signing for the backline or Lattrell Mitchell Joseph Manu or cooper Cronk as halfs coach and I will forgive him. Haha

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know how I feel about this seriously 4weeks ago I would've kicked ray dibs teeth down his throat if I seen him,but now I really do feel he is trying to fix the wrongs he did in the first place weather that's enough for me to be happy for him to remain chairman or not I don't know maybe one more marquee signing for the backline or Lattrell Mitchell Joseph Manu or cooper Cronk as halfs coach and I will forgive him. Haha
i dont think we will get another big signing for 2018

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see us go for Ash Taylor for 2019. Perfect distraction now with world cup, Cronk and Titans not having a coach still. Plus we will have a little more cap space by then.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Of course he will win...
There is no rival ticket ATM and the longer it goes the more likely one won't eventuate and even if it does they won't mount a serious challenge.

Shame... I'm over Dib now having basically a free hand, I would've loved a serious rival ticket (I would've voted for them) just to scare Dib some more and his ego!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't understand how after what's happened he can back him. Someone who had to be a large part of what happened OR atleast must have had some power to correct it and done nothing. To the point Mortimer has to walk away........ unless he hates Dunn more??? Seems weird to me. Don't really like it but.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I would love to see us go for Ash Taylor for 2019. Perfect distraction now with world cup, Cronk and Titans not having a coach still. Plus we will have a little more cap space by then.
Me too mate but unfortunately he has made it very clear he is 0% chance of leaving SE Qld so it will be the Titans or Broncos, which is a bummer!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too mate but unfortunately he has made it very clear he is 0% chance of leaving SE Qld so it will be the Titans or Broncos, which is a bummer!
Oh that sucks. Someone should remind him that we have beaches and waterways down here too all within 30-40 minutes of Belmore and Homebush.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Look the wrong that Dib did id giving full power to Des. That in itself was a fucked decision. In my opinion, I have zero confidence in Dib giving Des this much power as he single handed stuff up our club.

I do acknowledge that he is trying to make amends for his 1 big error, but as far as I'm concerned it's one too-many. He may very well win in Feb, but another mistake like this will be his last!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the club is united in keeping Dib based on the recent changes made, then so be it. But, should Dib be found to have broken a contract with Hasler and a hefty payout be applied at the expense of the club then as the Chairman who solely owns the decision to re-sign Hasler then he should man up and stand down. In an everyday business he would be sacked.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive never understood the strong hate towards Dib or strong like for that matter, at the end of the day hes the chairman, everything has to be ratified by the board. He doesnt have the power to make big decisions or moves unless its approved by the board. Sure the clubs struggling onfield, but they got Des in 2012 which was a massive coup at the time, gave him 6 years and now sacked him. Whats so bad about that. After making the GF in 2014, Des was always gonna be given a few more years, the first year he didnt make the semis they sacked him. And it looks like theyre doing their best to minimise a payout. They also secured Foran & Woods for next year, which aint that shabby.

Politis is a very successful businessman , but as a chairmen also has handpicked yes men on the board giving him complete control at the Roosters.

The power both Dib & Politis have at their respective clubs is worlds apart. So anything positive or negative that happens at our club cant be greatly attributed to Dib.

Thats the way I see it.

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Well given he just gave him a job he was always going to be supportive...

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I remember about not having Bulldogs culture was when we played Barba after his defection and also SBW. Can still remember feeling empty when they beat us and you could tell the coach Hasler the manly man wouldn't of gived two tosses about the club. So glad we have doggies men there again, can tell it will be a pleasing season cause you know it will atleast be a different style and a bit of pride to wear the jersey.

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ray Dib cares about the club, his professional, smart & powerful & his very important for the club moving forward.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If their was to be a rival ticket at the next election, my advice to them would be to get moving because the longer they leave it the less likely they are of having success. As voting member my only agenda is to have the best possible people running our club.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
When your backs against the wall, you'll say and do anything to get yourself a second chance.
He's no different from Tony Williams, job security for a few years, and then when it comes to the end of it, start doing what people want, to try and make them forget the piece of shit you really are.

What makes anyone think he will keep putting the club first if he's re-elected?

Fuck Dib. All he can do now is hope that the dumb people who buy his bullshit now outnumber the ones who see past it at the next election.

Status
Not open for further replies.