Steve Harwell, former Smash Mouth singer, dead at 56

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Steve Harwell dies at just 59. He had been suffering from liver problems. Did a great cover of ‘Im a Believer.’ ‘All Star’ was excellent too. RIP Condolences to his family and friends.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
By his own admission, he effectively drank himself to an early grave.

Reminder we're certainly not indestructible (i say this as a man recently diagnosed with early stages of fatty liver).

Walking on the Sun reminds me of my uni days.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Alcoholism is a terrible disease and one possibly not in the spotlight enough. I’ve known two people from my past (not super close, but knew them well enough) to pass in the last 12 months for this very reason. Both under 50. Not right. Whilst never a huge Smashmouth fan they certainly had some anthems in the 90’s so RIP Steve Harrell and all the best to those left behind.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Alcoholism is a terrible disease and one possibly not in the spotlight enough. I’ve known two people from my past (not super close, but knew them well enough) to pass in the last 12 months for this very reason. Both under 50. Not right. Whilst never a huge Smashmouth fan they certainly had some anthems in the 90’s so RIP Steve Harrell and all the best to those left behind.
My uncle is a walking..well he can hardly walk..advertising for not to drink too much. He was an extremely heavy drinker all his life. Ended up with alcohol induced dementia which saw him lose his balance.. which means he has had numerous falls, busting his shoulder his arm, which hast seen it have more pins in it, then a pincushion,.. and lose some of his memory. Some days he stares out like a zombie.. when I was a kid, I never knew what it was like to know him not drunk.. his kids, my cousins all have hangups from it. He’s only in his 70s but looks like he’s bloody a 100. My other uncle, who is was his brother, used to drink very heavily he ended up dying at the ripe old age of 45.

Seeing these guys and others in my family drink heavily and get drunk, and also violent, meant as a kid I swore off alcohol… As such I’ve never touched the poison, and I’m so happy I haven’t.

Last edited:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
My uncle is a walking..well he can hardly walk..advertising for not to drink too much. He was an extremely heavy drinker all his life. Ended up with alcohol induced dementia which saw him lose his balance.. which means he has had numerous falls, busting his shoulder his arm, which hast seen it have more pins in it, then a pincushion,.. and some of his memory. Some days he stares out like a zombie.. when I was a kid, I never knew what it was like to know I’m not drunk.. his kids, my cousins all have hangups from it. He’s only new 70s but looks like he’s bloody hungry. My other uncle, who is was his brother, used to drink very heavily he ended up dying at the ripe old age of 45.

Seeing these guys and others in my family drink heavily and get drunk, and also violent, meant as a kid I swore me off alcohol… As such I’ve never touched the poison, and I’m so happy I haven’t.
I wish I was like you and never drank alcohol before.
I gave up drinking 3 years ago.
One of the best life decisions I’ve ever made!

Alcohol has no positive benefits.
Unless you think smelling like shit and being likely to end up in an early grave is positive then drink up!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish I was like you and never drank alcohol before.
I gave up drinking 3 years ago.
One of the best life decisions I’ve ever made!

Alcohol has no positive benefits.
Unless you think smelling like shit and being likely to end up in an early grave is positive then drink up!
Great you gave up.. Apparently it is the only thing we put in our body that has no nutritional benefits at all..

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Didn't expect to see this this morning.
It's sad when people do it to themselves due to self destructive tendencies

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Can someone tell me how much alcohol it would take to get to this death level?
I go through 3 1 litre Henny bottles a week, 6 days drinking. Am I at risk or is this upper end of high but still humane?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My uncle is a walking..well he can hardly walk..advertising for not to drink too much. He was an extremely heavy drinker all his life. Ended up with alcohol induced dementia which saw him lose his balance.. which means he has had numerous falls, busting his shoulder his arm, which hast seen it have more pins in it, then a pincushion,.. and lose some of his memory. Some days he stares out like a zombie.. when I was a kid, I never knew what it was like to know him not drunk.. his kids, my cousins all have hangups from it. He’s only in his 70s but looks like he’s bloody a 100. My other uncle, who is was his brother, used to drink very heavily he ended up dying at the ripe old age of 45.

Seeing these guys and others in my family drink heavily and get drunk, and also violent, meant as a kid I swore off alcohol… As such I’ve never touched the poison, and I’m so happy I haven’t.
Fair enough 95 and likely the right call if alcoholism is in your family - it’s an insidious disease. The majority of people can socially drink and keep it under control but for those who can’t it’s an entirely different story - same as gambling and other addictions.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough 95 and likely the right call if alcoholism is in your family - it’s an insidious disease. The majority of people can socially drink and keep it under control but for those who can’t it’s an entirely different story - same as gambling and other addictions.
My Uncle has an addictive personality.. unfortunately was also a gambler. He was a brilliant salesman..absolutely sensational, could sell ice to an Eskimo..had a great house, latest stuff in it.. Lost it all due to his vices, ended up in housing commission in Bidwill. Such a waste..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My Uncle has an addictive personality.. unfortunately was also a gambler. He was a brilliant salesman..absolutely sensational, could sell ice to an Eskimo..had a great house, latest stuff in it.. Lost it all due to his vices, ended up in housing commission in Bidwill. Such a waste..
Yep, it’s often the big personalities and creatives it gets. When I was working in recording studios years ago I was at first shocked to meet people of profile whose public face is very different from their private reality. In turn I came to learn more than a few of those people had addictions (booze, cocaine and others) which to my knowledge were never known publicly.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
RIP.

Condolences to his fans, family and friends. I was a fan of some Smash Mouth songs back in the day. I guess that having too much time on your hands can lead to poor decisions like drinking too much. I don't know if it's of any consequence to those who know stars that die young that they've left some legacy in their work.

I used to be a heavy drinker back when smash mouth were at the top of their game. Back in the uni days it was fun to be pissed three days a week. These days I'm lucky to get pissed three times a year. I rarely even have a solitary drink these days. The quiet drink while watching the football was the last regular drinking I did.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I go through 3 1 litre Henny bottles a week, 6 days drinking. Am I at risk or is this upper end of high but still humane?
Bump

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
So you're bumping a post you made today. Rightio I guess that makes sense given your style.

And to answer your question there's a search tool called Google and I suggest that you use it to answer your question whilst drinking your "henny" and counting those fat centrelink stacks of yours

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
So you're bumping a post you made today. Rightio I guess that makes sense given your style.

And to answer your question there's a search tool called Google and I suggest that you use it to answer your question whilst drinking your "henny" and counting those fat centrelink stacks of yours
No one responded and it got lost.
And I think it’s just not just a selfish request as much as I’d like to know as it might be useful for others and soem rasrlt responses indicated some here has experience in the topic.
Serious stuff Uleh.