Stat dive - defence analysis

Juniorluke

Waterboy
Reaction score
Watching our lower grades they all have the same structure look very fit and fast in defence. We aren’t even at the peak of what this will look like. Think guys coming through this system for 5 years with this defensive structure. The future is insanely bright.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those are outstanding numbers. Like speed and commitment ind defence is next level this year.
I mentioned during the pre season that the whole defensive system was given a shake from last year. The biggest difference from last year was 3 things, Line-speed, tackling technique and fitness.

Line-speed came from the newbies joining/helping Reed Mahoney, most notably Curran/Mann... Seems the rest of the team has bought in.

Tackling technique..Im sure we have all noticed it now but Ciro was hell bent at chopping down on the PCM's introducing the three man tackle.. 2 up top, one man low chopping out the legs. Boys were drilled NEVER to turn their back on a tackle, no matter how tired you are, you run in a cut that player down.

And Fitness, i have never seen a tougher pre-season, i almost felt sorry for the boys at times but without the hard work 1 and 2 would never work....

CC would be wrapped with the numbers and im sure it will give the boys that extra confidence that its working which turns into belief of systems.

2026 premiers.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I posted in some other thread the comparisons of the weight per cm of different forwards packs. What I found surprising was that Penrith ranked lower on the table.

I think Ciro's and Penrith's defensive structure are to make sure to have lightweight, mobile forwards who can quickly scramble. Which is probably why we always see Ciro's bench of lighter/smaller forwards.

It's usually Reed or the lock (if it's Mann, Morrin or Hayward) come rushing out of the defensive line to make first contact and if they miss or have an ineffective tackle, they've done enough to slow the oppositions forward for the 2nd line of defence to tackle him.
It certainly looks that way, and having such tenacious players like Mann and Morrin coming off the bench make such a massive difference.
I had faith in Ciraldo all along, and always backed him. Its nice to see it starting to come together for him!! We are well and truly on our way up!!!

Juniorluke

Waterboy
Reaction score
Salmon isn’t a flashy player but it’s no coincidence guys like him are helping us improve. Would be an elite trainer and professional 24/7 young guys feed of it. 2 years at the club is perfect for him and not breaking the bank at all. Wouldn’t be on much more than 200k

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yet he was in the 17 when they were both fit, You must know better then the coaching staff that armchair must be heavy duty.
Yh because he's Gus and Ciraldo's pet. Curran/Mann are both superior locks. Preston is a superior backrower. He is not in our best 17.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Salmon isn’t a flashy player but it’s no coincidence guys like him are helping us improve. Would be an elite trainer and professional 24/7 young guys feed of it. 2 years at the club is perfect for him and not breaking the bank at all. Wouldn’t be on much more than 200k
There's not enough in attack from him, whether at lock or 2nd row. I'm sure other players can do his defensive work and also contribute to the attack

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Facts with stats. Numbers don’t lie you can’t hide

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get the first stat.. can someone explain it?

Defense has improved out of sight from last year. Huge improvement, but I question whether we can sustain this intensity through a whole season. The second thing I’ll note is that the second phase play / offloads were killing us. Sometimes we’d commit 3 to a tackle and the ball would pop, and they sneak in a few extra metres. This something that parra did pretty well against Penrith last year

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don’t get the first stat.. can someone explain it?

Defense has improved out of sight from last year. Huge improvement, but I question whether we can sustain this intensity through a whole season. The second thing I’ll note is that the second phase play / offloads were killing us. Sometimes we’d commit 3 to a tackle and the ball would pop, and they sneak in a few extra metres. This something that parra did pretty well against Penrith last year
The expected points stat? It's a formula he created that uses historical data to measure the likelihood of a team scoring points. It's similar to xG in football where the quality of a shot going in a measured. I think he has an article on his site explaining it in detail.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The expected points stat? It's a formula he created that uses historical data to measure the likelihood of a team scoring points. It's similar to xG in football where the quality of a shot going in a measured. I think he has an article on his site explaining it in detail.
Nah bro, the doggies one. Is the writer saying that we rank the best in not letting opposition get yardage? Ie #1 tackle is on 10m, but we manage to drive em back to 9m?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nah bro, the doggies one. Is the writer saying that we rank the best in not letting opposition get yardage? Ie #1 tackle is on 10m, but we manage to drive em back to 9m?
I think he's just measuring metres gained differently to how the NRL do. Basically it's just metres gained past the play the ball rather than metres run with the ball in hand. I think. Either way we're conceding the least metres per carry.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I have also noticed a very powerful tackling technique lead by Mahoney but executed by many players. They attack the legs low with the shoulder, but with incredible speed and force, that drops the attacking player to the ground very quickly. Then very consistently, there is a defender over the top that comes down on the player hard as they drop, earning the right to hold them down a split second longer.

This happens so often, it is an obvious weapon of a technique that works effectively on big bodies in fast motion, killing their momentum. I generally have not noticed other teams or our previous side from last year do this with any consistency and speed like we have been this year.

Am I seeing things, or do you see this happening too?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was never over-critical myself but was concerned about rookie coach with a team that was so far off the mark.. the buy in this year is night and day to last, and the players genuinely look happy.. I remember watching the Penrith documentaries and one thing that was evident was Cirado, and Ivan of course always keeping things fresh.. like the different themes and such.. and they made sure everybody is involved. There's a lot to be excited about.
It’s not a buy in when you sack all the players that can’t and get the ones that can.