Staines has knocked back the Dogs

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s disappointing. Let’s hope we can get burton and a 9 as they are higher priority for us. I think averillo could be a decent fullback and he has said he would like to play there

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thank you :tearsofjoy:

I don't know why some people think this is crazy..I mean there's obviously a chance it won't work but considering all the dumb decisions we've made in the past I'd rate this as a pretty low risk.
The one thing in my mind that meakes me think that this is actually a great move, is the fact i can remember when Rueben Wiki was a centre. Look how he turned out? Legend of the game.
Hoppa has many great attributes, sadly speed isnt one. Therefore we should transfer those skills one place further in. My only concern would be the physicality of the role and whether he would enjoy that or not.

Malla

Reaction score
The one thing in my mind that meakes me think that this is actually a great move, is the fact i can remember when Rueben Wiki was a centre. Look how he turned out? Legend of the game.
Hoppa has many great attributes, sadly speed isnt one. Therefore we should transfer those skills one place further in. My only concern would be the physicality of the role and whether he would enjoy that or not.
Would not even begin to compare Wiki to Hoppa lol.

Back then the Centre position was much different to what it is now. Big Mal would probably be a front rower these while Steve Roach wouldn't even crack a canterbury cup team lol.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would not even begin to compare Wiki to Hoppa lol.

Back then the Centre position was much different to what it is now. Big Mal would probably be a front rower these while Steve Roach wouldn't even crack a canterbury cup team lol.
Its not a comparison of skill at all. Its a comparison of where Will is at in his career, and the new direction it could take. Comparing the centre position from back then to now is somewhat irrelevant bacause the position is a whole lot more difficult in the modern ggame.but if your ising Meninga as an example, he was a totally different body shape and size to almost every other centre of his day, hence he was so devastating.
As for Roach, are you serious??

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not old enough to draw that comparison lol.

I just think a few of his weaknesses aren't a weakness when being pushed in while some of his strengths might provide a point of difference to our attack, similar to how you mentioned. He can run a line, break a tackle and offload..he'd also link the forwards with the backs and be another ball playing option that could ease pressure on our halves.

Malla

Reaction score
Its not a comparison of skill at all. Its a comparison of where Will is at in his career, and the new direction it could take. Comparing the centre position from back then to now is somewhat irrelevant bacause the position is a whole lot more difficult in the modern ggame.but if your ising Meninga as an example, he was a totally different body shape and size to almost every other centre of his day, hence he was so devastating.
As for Roach, are you serious??
Even more reason not to make that comparison but you are further reinforcing the point i have made.

Yes, Roach is nothing but a fat air head.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gotta go after Corey Allan in my opinion and play Averillo at 6. Get Burton at 7 and Smith/Grant at 9. That is a very talented and youthful spine.

Having someone like Blake Green around the joint next year would almost remove the argument that the spine is too inexperienced. It is heavily discussed that Green will go straight into coaching so I think it's a great move by the Dogs.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney will suffice for now if it means we get Grant and Burton.

1. Meaney
6. Burton
7. Green
9. Grant
I doubt bet on signing button and definitely not grant...u need to remember that we are not an attractable club at the moment and unless we are will to pay overs we won't get any of these elite players

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I've always believed the issue has been a lack of quality experienced players in the squad. These young guys coming through have no one to train and play alongside that they can learn off. We had Foz but in all seriousness he was useless and couldn't really perform that role.

Just looking at someone like Cleary and he had Maloney and Wallace he could learn off, then when they did leave he had what many considered an off year before bouncing back the following year.
Exactly with foz. He could have been what the young guys needed if he played more than half the season any time. Shame he couldnt

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

I just think a few of his weaknesses aren't a weakness when being pushed in while some of his strengths might provide a point of difference to our attack, similar to how you mentioned. He can run a line, break a tackle and offload..he'd also link the forwards with the backs and be another ball playing option that could ease pressure on our halves.
The notion of Hopoate moving to an edge backrower position a bit left field but I think it definitely has merit.
No doubt the speed of the game has gone past him, but he still has that skill set to be a useful footballer.
He'd need to bulk up a bit and learn to play tough though, the contact would take some getting used to also.
Plenty of players have successfully moved from centre / backs to edge backrow recently, Chris Lawrence, Sione Matautia, Ben Smith, Kurtis Capewell, Wade Graham, Talakai
We'd need to buy a centre though so DWZ / Reimis aren't one of the first choice centres.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember when Josh Hoffman knocked us back under similar circumstances and he was far more established.
I don’t understand why Staines wouldn’t want to come over. It’s not like he’s playing wing or centre for the Panthers right now either.
Real question do we even know that Staines is better than Laurie?
Fuck that rings a bell
He'd still be here and playing FG if he signed

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know what the fuss about him was anyways. He scored a few set up tries in 1 game. Any winger playing with the Panthers spine will look good.
I have never seen him play other than the highlight tries.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bummer, can’t deny would of been a good signing.!!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Straight from the horse's mouth.

Staines has decided to remain with the Panthers. They've promised him game time at fullback. (We should make a bigger play for JAC now in my opinion)

We're still chasing Burton (two other clubs are chasing him also).

Harry Grant is talking to Arthur Laundy. They only met after the Tigers last game.

Elliott knocked back Warriors offer of 1.7M over 3 years (570K) to sign with us for 480K + a car. He was on 430K previously and our initial new offer was 450K.

Journo James Hooper helped convince AL that the Dogs needed a new major sponsor.

Arthur Laundy (Tigers supporter) has no interest in running for the Dogs board but his son Craig (Dogs supporter) might in future. Craig can't now because he hasn't been a football club member long enough (3 years). Craig recently had heated words with George Coorey - about what exactly I don't know.

Laundy is happy to continue his sponsorship if current board members are replaced. If his ability to talk directly to players is reneged though he reserves the right to withdraw his sponsorship. Frankly if he likes to talk to players for his dollars I think that's fair enough. If I were him I'd want the same.

AL contributed 100K in TPA for Thompson but had to withdraw when he became sponsor.
Well the first bit of what you said has been confirmed. Officially announced.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even more reason not to make that comparison but you are further reinforcing the point i have made.

Yes, Roach is nothing but a fat air head.
Righto mate. Did you ever watch Roach play?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Totaly agree. He would need to put a few kgs on, and im not sure he would be keen on the idea, but i think he could flourish there!!!

Jam

Scanlens Gum
Reaction score
I don't know what the fuss about him was anyways. He scored a few set up tries in 1 game. Any winger playing with the Panthers spine will look good.
I remember when Christian Crichton looked good as a winger at the Panthers. He came to us and we discovered that he could not replicate his form without a proper spine delivering him quality ball.