SPEED!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Why do we struggle to get players with speed?
When was the last time we had a few outside back with speed to burn?
Mbye, barba are the only 2 I can remember they didn’t play at the same time.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You would have to go all the way back to Brett Dallas. He was the last true speedster to wear the Blue and white of course that's not including the Morris twins.

Brett Dallas 2nd Try 1993 R5 Canterbury v Parramatta

Brett Dallas at 1.01

Hands down the best ranga we ever had!!!

Last edited:

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: It’s funny cause it’s true.
Lol it is... what’s the point of speed when our attack is predicted before we even play it out... that’s how easy it is to read our attack lol so speed won’t matter

silva

Utility
Reaction score
In the year 2000 we had the same problem with our attack. Club went and bought luke patten to play fullback, nigel vagana to play centre, and brett howland to play wing. 2 of those 3 signings turned out to be excellent for us and exactly what we needed.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
We are a perennially slow team.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Michael Who Lett the dogs out lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The problem isn't speed.. it's lack of space.

Get someone like Montoya or BMoz into space and they are fast. Even JMK has some decent pace about him. But if they get the ball flat with a wall of defence in front of them, they don't get a chance to wind up.

There's a few speedy blokes in NSW Cup though (Lewis, Bergamin, Carr, Cerruto).

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clayton in Jersey Flegg has genuine speed as does Dillon in SGBALL

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Get someone like Montoya or BMoz into space and they are fast. Even JMK has some decent pace about him. But if they get the ball flat with a wall of defence in front of them, they don't get a chance to wind up.

Montoya isn’t fast. We need players who can create space with speed. Montoya is slower than tolman and cannot move laterally because his torso is about 3cm and his legs are 197cm

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Vangana wasn’t too bad, good footwork. I didn’t mind lolesi either but wasn’t ever express fast. And howland was a flop. Bott never made it out of reserve grade haha. I think we had a few others. Maybe was it Murphy? I don’t know. But very limited time in top grade.

We have never had a radranda, Folau, Inglis type. Huge, powerful, athletic players with speed who can take hit ups or go 100m from a clean break.

Montoya has the skinniest legs I have ever seen. Don’t think he has much leg drive in there to carry defenders.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Rocky: Hey yo, Mick, what do I got to chase a chicken for?
Mickey: First, because I said so. And second, is because chicken-chasing is how we used to train back in the old days. If you can catch this thing, you can catch greased lighting.

Not enough chicken chasing, I guess...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Montoya isn’t fast. We need players who can create space with speed. Montoya is slower than tolman and cannot move laterally because his torso is about 3cm and his legs are 197cm
Monty has a big stride.. like Tupou... problem is with such players they need space to hit full flight.

Compare that to Cook/Mbye/Addo-Carr/Roberts/Ponga who are shorter and can just accelerate off the mark.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Omg lool at people saying montoya is fast!

The guy is officially the slowest winger in NRL. He's never beaten someone on pace on the outside! NEVER! SO FUCKING SLOW!

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score

A lot of it is about space rather than speed. Speed is a factor but if players don't have enough space they can't use the speed effectively.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we are a slow team but how fast do you need to be to score tries with a shitload of ball in good ball territory ? not much really

like obviously more speed would help but its the lack of creativity that seems to kills. we copuld have james roberts at right centre and he may be able to add a try or 2 extra over the course of a year by being able to race away when he does beat a defender but ultimately if the attack inside him still creates absolutely no space for him and the other outside men, nothing would really change

slydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Morris boys in there prime were speedsters

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We would be the slowest team in the comp Mbye is the only player with genuine pace. Morris’s had it but lost it, Hoppa and Montoya would get run down by most backrowers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.