Souths end talk of relocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mash

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IF THE contentious criteria that was used by the NRL to kick South Sydney out of the premiership in 1999 was applied now, the Rabbitohs believe they would rank as the No.1 club in Sydney - and possibly second overall behind the Broncos.

After unveiling the new state-of-the-art training facility at the redeveloped Redfern Oval - which will host a pre-season fixture against Wests Tigers next February - and announcing the retention of the club's major sponsors, officials yesterday declared Souths' future was secure and put paid to any possibility they would relocate.

"While we're disappointed to finish 14th this season, off the field we'd be the No.1 club in Sydney - if not the entire competition," chief executive Shane Richardson said. "In terms of the value represented on our jersey, we're probably only second to Brisbane, we'd be No.1 for overall sponsorship among the Sydney clubs, we're No.2 for crowds in Sydney, we've got the largest ticketed membership of all the Sydney clubs, we've got more members in general than any other Sydney club and we've now got the best training facility of any club in any code in Sydney."

With Virgin Blue and De'Longhi joining NAB in committing for another season, the Souths jersey is worth more than $2 million and the club still has a vacancy for a sleeve sponsor. Overall the Rabbitohs have more than $6 million committed from sponsors for next season and coupled with guaranteed income from 6800 season ticket-holders, who the club hopes will increase to 8000 by the start of next season, they are on track to generate a $15 million turnover in 2009.

"Most other clubs in Sydney would have a turnover of about $10 million without poker machines but ours is genuine turnover," Richardson said. "We do not rely on poker machines and we won't be in the future. From a club point of view we have never budgeted on it, we've had to get by without that support and a lot of other NRL clubs are now going to have to do that."

It's a far cry from the situation Souths were in nine years ago when the NRL ranked them last of all clubs in the criteria that was used to determine which teams were included in the 14 team competition that operated in 2000 and 2001 before the Rabbitohs were reinstated.

"I've got no doubt that we would be leading the pack of Sydney clubs but I don't like to talk about criteria," said Souths chairman Nicholas Pappas, who was the club's lawyer when the Rabbitohs successfully appealed their omission from the NRL in court. "We've come a long way since 1999 and 2001, those difficult years, but we knew we would get here and planting the flag here in Redfern is deeply symbolic because it is a place that is deeply entrenched in the Rabbitohs psyche and entrenches this club in Sydney once and for all."

Due for completion in two months, the $23 million facility will be home to Souths players when they begin off-season training on November 3 and boasts a field with an 8000 capacity as well as gymnasium that will have $500,000 of weight machines and a theatrette for team meetings and video sessions.

Source: SMH

K

KL

I hate souths. our competition has been draged down so puss clubs like souths can compete.

now they crow on like they are no.1 in sydney.

GTFO you stupid maggots, you jersey is nothing more than a red and green toilet rag. and most of your season ticket holders are no more than 1 game wannabes.

the sooner you get booted form this competition the better

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate souths. our competition has been draged down so puss clubs like souths can compete.

now they crow on like they are no.1 in sydney.

GTFO you stupid maggots, you jersey is nothing more than a red and green toilet rag. and most of your season ticket holders are no more than 1 game wannabes.

the sooner you get booted form this competition the better
you wouldn't of been saying that in 1908

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another reason why every NRL club should be privately owned.

If Souths can go from getting kicked out of the comp to one of the strongest Sydney teams financially despite their lack of genuine on field success in the last two years, then that should say something.

Again, I find it absurd that every team in every sport around the world is privately owned yet in Australia and the NRL, we refuse to take extra money and pump it into our game from avenues like this through sheer ignorance and a lack of leadership/thought.

Everyone complains about not enough money being in the game, and rightly so due to the NRL shortchanging the game drastically with the TV deals, well here is a perfect way to pump 100's of millions of dollars into the game.

K

KL

they are not the strongest financially.

they posted a big loss last season. and will more than likely post another big loss

Mash

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Someone is going to have to move to the Central Coast or risk being kicked out. I always thought it would be Souths.

And how the hell do they have more members than us!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How could a side called Souths head north? I think Rusty should bring back the poker machines and cheergirls, sex sells, there is no denying it.

K

KL

Someone is going to have to move to the Central Coast or risk being kicked out. I always thought it would be Souths.

And how the hell do they have more members than us!!
because they signed up heaps of members that only paid for one game. round 1 V the roosters.

our members have tickets to every game

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
they are not the strongest financially.

they posted a big loss last season. and will more than likely post another big loss
One of the strongest. Through their massive sponsorship deals alone brokered by Holmes-a-Hyphon and Crowe they are. And almost every NRL and AFL team, even the strongest ones, lose money each year. That is the nature of the business. I think only the Broncos and another club made money last year and that is the case almost every year.

And in the AFL, alot of teams need funding from the league to keep them alive and this has been the case for years. Teams lke Hawthorn and North Melbourne have to take games to Tasmania and the Gold Coast to get extra funding such are the problems with money in the AFL also.

K

KL

the bulldogs made a quarter million profit last year.

leagues club 6 million.

K

KL

That makes more sense to me.
What a rort then.
they seem to forget that they are in 14th spot.

we are a strong club, but you dont see us crowing on how good we are when we are cellar dwellars.

but i suppose 14th is not that bad when you are used to the wooden spoon

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
lol congrats to them. They need something to be excited about. Start of the year they were talking up top 4...Now they can't finish higher then 14th. They need something to get excited about.

I don't even know why they bother talking all the cr*p every time they open their mouth they seem to go down hill on the field.

Most succesful club behind brisbane off field LOL

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
they seem to forget that they are in 14th spot.

we are a strong club, but you dont see us crowing on how good we are when we are cellar dwellars.

but i suppose 14th is not that bad when you are used to the wooden spoon

its their equal 2nd or 3rd best finish since getting back in the comp

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why were Souths brought back in the comp? They werent competitive for decades, did the NRL really think anything would change? And making the 8 one year isnt competitive. As far as Im concerned, Souths are taking up a valuable place in the comp that a new team at the Central Coast, or in South-East Qld could have. You can tell they have twisted those facts and they are in disneyland if they think they are 2nd best club off the field.

All you hear from them is how great they are when really they are just sh*t.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why were Souths brought back in the comp? They werent competitive for decades, did the NRL really think anything would change? And making the 8 one year isnt competitive. As far as Im concerned, Souths are taking up a valuable place in the comp that a new team at the Central Coast, or in South-East Qld could have. You can tell they have twisted those facts and they are in disneyland if they think they are 2nd best club off the field.

All you hear from them is how great they are when really they are just sh*t.
Rugby League has little enough tradition and heritage left as it is. Leaving Souths out would kill it completely.

And that isn't mentioning Souths have one of the best junior areas and largest supporter bases in one of Rugby League true heartlands (even if they aren't getting to games atm, when they start winning and being really successful, they will probably be averaging 20k minimum)

Talk like that is what got Rugby League in this whole mess in the first place when Super League first came up and is the reason we have such abominations like the "Wests Tigers" and had the "Northern Eagles".

Lets not kill off Rugby League anymore than it has been already.

Mash

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ask Magpie or Tiger's fans how they feel about the 'tradition' Souths have?
They were forced into a merger so as not to suffer South's fate and now have to play them twice a year.

Salt in the wounds for them to be the team to play them at Redfern.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ask Magpie or Tiger's fans how they feel about the 'tradition' Souths have?
They were forced into a merger so as not to suffer South's fate and now have to play them twice a year.

Salt in the wounds for them to be the team to play them at Redfern.
Two wrongs don't make a right Mash.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can appreciate the history and tradition Souths have in the game, but it should be left as just that, history. Every club in the competition has some sort of tradition and could come up with many reasons to justify why they should be in the comp. There are too many teams in Sydney, and for the game to survive some teams need to merge or be axed. Why should another team be forced to do that over Souths?

IMO, Souths spot in the 16 would be better off used somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.