Soundwave expands to two day festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/39828/Soundwave-expands-to-two-day-festival-announces-2015-dates

Soundwave festival will be a two day event in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane in 2015 with half the lineup playing on each day.

The first weekend of the festival – Saturday, February 21 and Sunday, February 22 – will see the lineup in Adelaide and Melbourne with the bands heading to Sydney and Brisbane the following weekend.

The announcement made by promoter AJ Maddah via Twitter also reveals that the ticket price for the two days will be the same as last year: $185 + booking fees. There will also be a number of day tickets available at $120 + booking fees.

Maddah says that staging the lineup across two days will enable the festival to offer better staging, production and infrastructure as well as minimise clashes and giving bands longer sets. The new two day set up means that there’ll be seven stages instead of 12. “In recent years we have lost great bands over too many bands wanting to play after dark,” Maddah explains. “This new set-up also gives us twice the dark!”

A lineup announcement featuring the majority of the acts is expected in August. Weekend tickets will go on sale first and then, after the bands are split into day lineups, single day tickets will be put on sale.

Maddah dropped a few clues about the festival’s 2015 lineup earlier in the week telling the Full Metal Lockdown podcast that there’ll be “four headliners” next year. The first band confirmed for Soundwave 2015 was Melbourne progressive metal crew Ne Obliviscaris. Other acts on the “highly likely” list for 2015 include Fear Factory, Rise Against, Against Me!, Anvil, Papa Roach, and Eurovision 2006 winder Lordi.

Soundwave 2015: Weekend one:
Saturday, February 21 and Sunday, February 22
Bonython Park, Adelaide
Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne

Soundwave 2015: Weekend two:
Saturday, February 28 and Sunday March 1
Olympic Park, Sydney
RNA Showgrounds, Brisbane

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting. Twice the rental and setup costs, yet tickets remain the same price (hopefully).

Only issue would be people being able to make both days, but apart from that it's hard to argue with.

Vendors and Food Stalls will make twice as much money too!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
AJ Maddah kills off BDO then expands Soundwave to a 2 day festival. Way to monopolize lol.

Soundwave shits on BDO but still.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Depends what you read.

Viv Lees and Ken West used to own BDO years ago.
Viv Lees sold 50% share to C3 Presents a while back and Ken West continued to run it alongside them (albeit I believe with him doing the legwork, and C3 putting up a lot of the money).
Ken West then sold his 50% share to AJ Maddah.
AJ Maddah recently sold his 50% share back to C3 Presents.

As a result C3 Presents are the whole 100% owner of the BDO, however I believe the arrangement was that AJ sold his 50% share to them for $1, on the proviso he could buy in back off them for the same.

From reading more into it, AJ states that the BDO was dieing and becomming "too hipster", and that no good headliners were available for 2015, and so, BDO was shelved.

In 2016 he is apparently going to come back into it (much like Ken West apparently), so providing the legwork for C3, and BDO 2016 will be back.

From what I've read BDO was leaking money left, right and centre, with the latest one a $14 million loss.

AJ states that Soundwave will continue on as metal/alternative festival, whereas BDO will live on as a festival for "current charting artists, and others".

Makes sense to me!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
AJ Maddah kills off BDO then expands Soundwave to a 2 day festival. Way to monopolize lol.

Soundwave shits on BDO but still.
The bdo pretty much has been dying a slow death for years .I'm sort of glad too.their snub of metal over the years has now pretty much backfired in their face , and when non the music fans hijacked it and decided it's a day about abusing every one who wasn't decked out in an Aussie flag, then you do have the group of hipsters who would not know anything about live music except for that 1 day .
Soundwave will suffer the same fate in years to come for a few different reasons
1.bar your Metallica, iron maidens ect their are not a whole heap of bands that can keep heading it
2. All Music goes in cycles metal is at its peak and will only decline the trendy kids will find the next best thing a metal will return back to the under ground where it belongs

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Speaking of trendy kids was sitting at a train station the other day had a motor head shirt on, a young bird with her fella were there she had her pretty pink motor head shirt on .gave em a nod thinking just some young metal heads good on em.when the laughter started .The part the caught my attention was the bird saying something along the lines about look at this old fart trying to look cool (in regards to my motor head shirt ) so I had to ask the question since you're wearing that shirt taking the piss out of me could you name me JUST one motor head song .I said it's pretty easy they have over 20 albums out and been going for about 40 years. I'll even let you have the easiest one , it has ace and spades in the title. She couldn't answer it I suggested she should do her research before giving people shit

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think this doubles the setup and rent costs because they are doing 2 states each weekend. I dunno if you have ever seen how long it takes to setup/dismantle a SW site... but it is something like a week. So keeping things setup for 2 days rather than one probably doesn't cost much more in the end.

I wonder what the capacity will be like though, I am guessing they will have more tickets sold than previous years even if there are 7 stages instead of 12. SW Sydney is often 50k+ for one day, imagine that times 2... $$$$$$

AJ didn't kill BDO either. BDO lost something like 18 million dollars last year alone, it HAD to have a year off or it would be gone for good. They need a really killer lineup to bring it back, and there just aren't any options at the moment. Pearl Jam flopped hard as their fans don't really like anything else at BDO.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like home bake once powder finger and you am I called it quits the promoters shit them selves lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
BDO's failing was bringing back really old bands that had gone out of being popular with the public (except for diehard fans). As a result the oldies didn't want to see the new "what's this crap" music, and the kiddies didn't want to go see "old peoples music".

I mean .. Soundgarden and Kayne West (or was it P Diddy)??? They were NEVER going to work together.

Some might have a go at me for this, but the comments about changing music is true. I can't stand Bring Me The Horizon, yet so many metalcore teenieboppers absolutely love them. Likewise there are heaps of tryhard metalcore bands coming through these days that are absolute rubbish, yet the teenies LOOOOOVE them.

That is why Soundwave can be pretty hit and miss.

As bands from an older generation retire/stop touring, the spotlight shifts to bands that are popular with younger audiences, but not so with older audiences.

Delicate balance to get that right in my opinion.

Also since when has Soundwave had 12 stages ?!?!? Though I'dd rather see less stages so everyone has a chance to see or hear bands, as normally lots of clashes. Also want to see sideshows of every band :grinning:

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It has 12 stages because almost every stage is two stages so music never stops.

This new format will see less sideshows so don't get excited about that.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BDO's failing was bringing back really old bands that had gone out of being popular with the public (except for diehard fans). As a result the oldies didn't want to see the new "what's this crap" music, and the kiddies didn't want to go see "old peoples music".

I mean .. Soundgarden and Kayne West (or was it P Diddy)??? They were NEVER going to work together.

Some might have a go at me for this, but the comments about changing music is true. I can't stand Bring Me The Horizon, yet so many metalcore teenieboppers absolutely love them. Likewise there are heaps of tryhard metalcore bands coming through these days that are absolute rubbish, yet the teenies LOOOOOVE them.

That is why Soundwave can be pretty hit and miss.

As bands from an older generation retire/stop touring, the spotlight shifts to bands that are popular with younger audiences, but not so with older audiences.

Delicate balance to get that right in my opinion.

Also since when has Soundwave had 12 stages ?!?!? Though I'dd rather see less stages so everyone has a chance to see or hear bands, as normally lots of clashes. Also want to see sideshows of every band :grinning:
Exactly this, plus the old people are getting over festivals. Last few Soundwaves have been flooded with shirtless body builders who have no idea what music is playing and I've been too I'm exhausted and Sunburnt by 4:00pm and just wanting to go home, then if I do hang around I'm half awake at 10:00pm sitting in sweat soaked clothes with chaffed thighs remembering why I hate festivals so much.

Even after that though I go each year and all that crap isn't what bothers me, what bothers me is that at the end of the day I'm sitting there thinking that I went through all this and still missed half the bands I wanted to see because of poor scheduling.

I definitely like the 2 day idea for that factor.

Age definitely has an impact. Of my group that are all early-mid 30s, we had about 20 of us that would go to a gig/concert/festival every weekend, now me and one other are the only people who go to concerts and that's only if it's a really good lineup.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Green day horden 25 bucks back in the day
Deftones iron duke hotel 35 bucks back in the day
Seps chaos ad tour horden $ 50
Pantera far beyond tour ent cent $53 .50
Lol I'm with you old fukks festivals can eat shit

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
you know its getting bad when you have to sit in the arena for maiden after a day of standing and a fuken crook back. oh and having to endure wankers in the crowd who dont know how to behave. its not that i feel too old to go anymore (35), just that i hate crowds, shitty back and as jacobshade said theres not many of my mates that go anymore, if any.

the best festival i went to was hands down 'metal for the brain' in canberra. like minded people who just wanted to drink piss and have fun.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
you know its getting bad when you have to sit in the arena for maiden after a day of standing and a fuken crook back. oh and having to endure wankers in the crowd who dont know how to behave. its not that i feel too old to go anymore (35), just that i hate crowds, shitty back and as jacobshade said theres not many of my mates that go anymore, if any.

the best festival i went to was hands down 'metal for the brain' in canberra. like minded people who just wanted to drink piss and have fun.
And volatile had to have a raw bbq on stage for one, because the we're not aloud to use gas.and Dave slave from sadistic ex walking round handing out his shitty stickers Ahh the only time I ever looked forward to a trip to canberra

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
And volatile had to have a raw bbq on stage for one, because the we're not aloud to use gas.and Dave slave from sadistic ex walking round handing out his shitty stickers Ahh the only time I ever looked forward to a trip to canberra
volatile had the worlds best drummer HAHAHAHA.

dave slave was a nutjob. hed always hassle everyone to buy his cd's for the price of a beer. speaking of sad ex, did you know that rok is a pro fisho? got a column in one of the fishing mags as well. spun me the fuk out lol.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
volatile had the worlds best drummer HAHAHAHA.

dave slave was a nutjob. hed always hassle everyone to buy his cd's for the price of a beer. speaking of sad ex, did you know that rok is a pro fisho? got a column in one of the fishing mags as well. spun me the fuk out lol.
Yes Jamie robly he used to write a fishing colum in the local paper up here lol .first seen it years ago when ever I saw him I'd get my best death metal voice going "we are fishticks flatheads nightmare" he understood my play on words lol

Do u remember dave slave in that chip commercial

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Yes Jamie robly he used to write a fishing colum in the local paper up here lol .first seen it years ago when ever I saw him I'd get my best death metal voice going "we are fishticks flatheads nightmare" he understood my play on words lol

Do u remember dave slave in that chip commercial
lol i dont think i have.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
btw just out of curiosity, you live on the cc right? would you know a bloke called giv? hes brazilian.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
btw just out of curiosity, you live on the cc right? would you know a bloke called giv? hes brazilian.
Ha ha I do know of him met him once or twice through si from destroyer 666

Status
Not open for further replies.