Some serious Questions should be asked.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There’s got to be a way where you can pay a player as much as he wants but at the same time ensure talent is spread amongst the NRL teams. Maybe a points system where certain players are worth certain points and each club has a cap on this points system but the money they receive shouldn’t impact it.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL would want to encourage, not discourage extra payments to players. Less money for the NRL to pay out of their coffers and helps keep players in our game instead of going to rugby

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There was plenty of media around the Melbourne deal at the time, I have no problem with the Melbourne deal and we will have no problem with ours if it comes to fruition, It’s free trade and people can invest their money however they like within the law. These deals aren’t part of the contract, they are a business deal offered by a third party. Laundy is so confident in his ability to turn a profit in these establishments that he is willing to guarantee the investment. Who wouldn’t invest their hard earned in a deal like that?

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Tino was serious about this deal, if I were Gus I would take the NRL to NSW Supreme Court to either:

a) get a declaration that the these deals are permissible given previous dealings of a similar nature which have been allowed.

b) if not permissible, then it allowed other parties to obtain an unfair advantage (more evidence needed as to who got what and who missed out on these players as a result) by permitting this conduct.

At least it would send a msg to other clubs either way. Can’t continue to have teams like Melbourne and Roosters obtain an unfair competitive advantage in years to come.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL would want to encourage, not discourage extra payments to players. Less money for the NRL to pay out of their coffers and helps keep players in our game instead of going to rugby
from a broad perspective but making sure it’s executed correctly, or fairly is incredibly hard.

but then again nba deals with it… smaller market team players don’t get as much endorsements and the like because they are on smaller markets

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again .... Scrap The Cap

The whole NRL is so fucking corrupt with zero transparency and accountability. The cap is simply a tool to favour their preferred clubs. It was never ever about team equalisation or saving the competition to stop teams going broke.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Tino was serious about this deal, if I were Gus I would take the NRL to NSW Supreme Court to either:

a) get a declaration that the these deals are permissible given previous dealings of a similar nature which have been allowed.

b) if not permissible, then it allowed other parties to obtain an unfair advantage (more evidence needed as to who got what and who missed out on these players as a result) by permitting this conduct.

At least it would send a msg to other clubs either way. Can’t continue to have teams like Melbourne and Roosters obtain an unfair competitive advantage in years to come.
Good suggestion. Thinking as a 'workplace' thing it would probably go to the Federal Court and have widespread implications for all sports that utilise salary caps.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The system is broken. By no means should the chairman of a club be able to offer shares in his own company.

If every club is allowed to skirt the rules it's ok. But I really think the NRL still has clear bias with certain clubs. Look at Soiths and their medical retirements verse us still having to pay Josh Jacksons money in our salary cap because he's been given a club job.

The NRL will deny us the chance to pay anyone under Laundies proposed deal. I'd almost bet my nuts on it.
You’re wrong on south’s.
Inglis wasn’t medically retired. He just retired.
Only Burgess was.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was plenty of media around the Melbourne deal at the time, I have no problem with the Melbourne deal and we will have no problem with ours if it comes to fruition, It’s free trade and people can invest their money however they like within the law. These deals aren’t part of the contract, they are a business deal offered by a third party. Laundy is so confident in his ability to turn a profit in these establishments that he is willing to guarantee the investment. Who wouldn’t invest their hard earned in a deal like that?
I have no problem either if we are allowed to do this but I think we know how it will play out with the NRLol.

Edit - The issue is the NRL does not have transparent and defined rules in place, everything is determined either on a discretionary basis or with discretionary oversight so that each and every case across all areas can be 'assessed on its own merit' whenever they want.

This is why they're running scared from the RLPA as they don't want any defined accountability that everyone can see so they're playing hard ball with them to shut them out completely.

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have no problem either if we are allowed to do this but I think we know how it will play out with the NRLol.
Where there is a will there’s a way, the NRL may try and Vito this deal but the reality is if laundy and the club wants it to happen they can’t Legally stop it.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where there is a will there’s a way, the NRL may try and Vito this deal but the reality is if laundy and the club wants it to happen they can’t Legally stop it.
Certainly hope so. The last few years however makes me wonder if the club would be willing to fight the NRL though.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dane Gagai and his wife bought 51% of a lift hire business Access Indigenous for $51 off a multi million dollar company J.Jones Group...yes $51, it's not a typo, after a month the company was registered. Now you can't tell me this wasn't part of a contract deal?
The difference here is that it was all hush hush and at so called "arms length". Some teams just do it better than others.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Certainly hope so. The last few years however makes me wonder if the club would be willing to fight the NRL though.
They won’t need to fight the NRL they’ll just amend the deal until there is no legal recourse.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you 100% honestly saying Dink, that before this article came out …. you were aware that the Storm were approved to offer this investment deal to their players.
There was a article late last year re Munster contract. Roosters have help player with purchasing property and the same with Broncos help invest horses.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't Jai Arrow say he was enticed to souths because Russell could help with his girlfriends acting career aswell.....
I never heard that one. But the NRL need to be consistent with what they allow.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laundry fucked up by saying he would guarantee I knew it was a problem as soon as I read it

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers (the licensed club, not footy club) prints money. Not exactly sure of the arrangement between the licensed and footy clubs but I imagine there’s a contribution just like there is at Belmore.

Re: roster - ‘investments’ won’t necessarily make players stay. It’s near impossible to keep a premiership (let alone dual) winning squad together because player values rise with success and competitive demand and that’s where the cap kicks in but equally why it’s vital to have pathways sorted so there’s always young kids coming through looking to get a crack in the NRL. That’s what Gus is trying to set up for the Bulldogs.
The Panthers in 2011 was in insolvency and the had 30 million in debt had the sell several registered clubs and property.

Then 5 million handout from packer via Gould just to keep the lights on in 2011.

So don't worry I'm pretty it won't be long before they are back in that situation. With poor mismanagement. They are making a profit now 30 million thats with success.

By my knowledge we are the only footy were the league's club only exist for the footy club as part of constitution. So when the football operation ever lose money league's top it up.

The other footy clubs don't have that it's the opposite.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laundry fucked up by saying he would guarantee I knew it was a problem as soon as I read it
Not really he not quoted even of so many BS articles these. The fact is Tino has three month to activate the clause in which only after he can negotiate with club.

It like the whole JR releasing top 30 position this week how the fuck did Sexton play last week.