Skipper Smith commits to Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Skipper Smith commits to Storm

Melbourne Storm captain Cam Smith has ended speculation about his future by signing a new five-year deal that will keep him with the NRL club until the end of 2012.

The 25-year-old Australian hooker had a year to run on his contract and opted to extend the deal by another three years.

Smith will stay in Melbourne despite the temptation to return to Queensland after the Gold Coast Titans expressed interest.

Smith joins coach Craig Bellamy, full-back Billy Slater and halves Cooper Cronk and Greg Inglis as key members of the club to sign contract extensions.

"This club has been a major part of my life, they gave me my opportunity in the game and have been very good to me, so to sign the new contract was very satisfying," Smith said in a club statement.

"We've had quite a bit of success here over the past few years, and with Craig re-signing along with Cooper, Greg and a whole host of other players, I don't see why we can't be successful for a few more years yet.

"I spoke with a couple of clubs about my future, but I would have found it very difficult to play against the Melbourne Storm."

Bellamy says it was important that the club's captain and key playmaker remained in Melbourne.

"Cam is without doubt the best hooker in the game, and he is central to how we play, so to have him here for the next four years is a wonderful bonus to the Storm," Bellamy said.

"It would have been impossible to replace Cam with someone of his calibre, both as a player and a leader, so I couldn't be happier with his decision to stay."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron admitted Smith could have signed elsewhere for more money but opted to stay with the club, which has played in the grand final for the past three seasons.

"I think there's no better place to be playing footy right now than at the Storm," Smith said.

Smith admitted the birth of his daughter Jada earlier this year had made him and wife Barbara seriously consider moving back to south-east Queensland where most of their family are to be closer to their support network.

"My first preference was to be in Melbourne... it was always going to be best for my career to stay here," Smith said.

"With the birth of our first baby Jada early on in the year it was a big factor and we were probably a bit homesick.

"But we had a lot of support from everyone at the club and our ideas on that changed a little bit as the year went on."

-ABC/AAP

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure he signed this a few months ago

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And the Storm re-sign another player who would be on massive money........

Ian Schubert has to be the most incompetent man on earth.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"Smith joins coach Craig Bellamy, full-back Billy Slater and halves Cooper Cronk and Greg Inglis as key members of the club to sign contract extensions."

Those players alone would be worth at least 1.5 mill. And its not like they are still on old, cheap contracts, they have resigned at their current value.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Does this mean Farrah is off to Gold Coast ?

I imagine they'll throw $$$ at him !

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
from their site looks like he's still there, what a kick in the balls that would be

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well he has Sam Thaidays head as a bonnet ornament on his V8, he might as well stay with the Storm, he has become a real good player, the Storm would be pleased.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Another one on the books for the Storm. Never felt that Smith would leave considering the likes of Bellamy, Inglis, Slater and Cronk re-signed.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And the Storm re-sign another player who would be on massive money........

Ian Schubert has to be the most incompetent man on earth.
Well if you look closely, we produced more stars in 2004 than Storm did in 2006-07.

Our 2007 team was on paper a top 4 contender with what possibly was the best forward pack..We had O'Meley, Mason, SBW, Maitua, Ryan..all of which had played either SOO, International footy or both by that time.

The fact we pretty much have no stars left is quite simply coz of arseholes like SBW, Mason and Maitua who either had a walkout or simply caused enough trouble to be sacked..We let Price and Asotasi go for the first two tossers...

Still i wouldn't be surprised if they were rorting the cap, but they certainly aint like the Roosters who seem to be able to buy everyone.

G

giant

dont worry the storm and the broncos have no cap the ROOSTERS they will never be looked at cause they are gallops team.they seem to have a payroll that decreases when they buy the player and when they offload him he is worth alot more than contracted and they then buy a more expensive player to compensate him
they buy harrison their no 13 at 250k saying they r within the nrl cap guildlines
they offload him saying he is worth 350k and sign mason at 350k and still under the cap.

MILF

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
it is amazing how the storm dont lose many players.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wait let me get this straight:

I dont know the exact numbers but lets have a look at the ball park figure:

Cronk - 350k
Inglis - 600k
Smith - 600k
Slater - 350k
Johnson - 350k

Theres half the cap there, how the hell do they fit in the other players with whats left considering a lot of them are also rep players ?

Status
Not open for further replies.