Opinion Skelton

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You've just changed the convo now. We were only talking about middles.
I've clearly been talking about line speed the whole time. Apologies if reference to "middles" has confused things. In terms of line speed, do you agree or disagree that our edge forwards play a role in it?

Also your idealogy that players that aren't doing what we do now at their current clubs means they can't adapt to our style is crazy. They aren't doing it at their club because they aren't being asked too.
Firstly, that is an interesting use of the term ideology. Secondly, where did I make that argument? Bit of a strawman there. My argument is pretty clear, the difference between 2023 and 2024 has more to do with the players than anything else. The key players that we kept (pretty much Reed, Max, and Presto), were doing the system in 2023, now that they have players around them that are also doing the system, we are seeing it work closer to what CC intended. Some of the new players have come from a similar system (Salmon, Curran), but others are new to it, and have adapted straight away because they have the ability to do so.

Also you can't win the comp without a top 5-7 prop in the game. We don't have one currently.
I'm not making any comment on winning the comp, I'm talking about the improvement to CC's system being more due to change of personnel, rather than players adapting to it over time.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Preston & Kiks aren't middles.
Kikau plays a lot of minutes in the middle 1/3rd of the field in defence. Obviously in attack he plays outside the middle, but in any defense discussion leaving him out is erroneous.

Always a Bulldog

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I've clearly been talking about line speed the whole time. Apologies if reference to "middles" has confused things. In terms of line speed, do you agree or disagree that our edge forwards play a role in it?

Firstly, that is an interesting use of the term ideology. Secondly, where did I make that argument? Bit of a strawman there. My argument is pretty clear, the difference between 2023 and 2024 has more to do with the players than anything else. The key players that we kept (pretty much Reed, Max, and Presto), were doing the system in 2023, now that they have players around them that are also doing the system, we are seeing it work closer to what CC intended. Some of the new players have come from a similar system (Salmon, Curran), but others are new to it, and have adapted straight away because they have the ability to do so.

I'm not making any comment on winning the comp, I'm talking about the improvement to CC's system being more due to change of personnel, rather than players adapting to it over time.

And you are wrong on it being because of a change of personnel rather than adapting over time. It’s clear that every player is playing way better than last season because of their self improvement in the system & because they are way fitter than they were 12 months ago.

Let’s just agree to disagree.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And you are wrong on it being because of a change of personnel rather than adapting over time. It’s clear that every player is playing way better than last season because of their self improvement in the system & because they are way fitter than they were 12 months ago.

Let’s just agree to disagree.
I'm not merely putting forward an opinion, I've put forward evidence for the opinion and you've not addressed it, you're just saying I'm wrong. We basically kept our 3 best performing forwards from last season, who were already doing the job, and added a bunch of blokes who can also do the job. This along with Kiks staying injury free and hitting peak form again is the difference between the two seasons.

If I'm wrong, then CC can add any forward to our squad and after a season they will be working fine in the system. I don't think he will, I think he is being very selective about who he wants, and ability to be part of the team's line speed is the first line item on the criteria list. It is why he was after Conner Watson in the off season, and when he couldn't get him picked up Kurt Mann instead.

If I'm right, plenty of peoples ideas on who we should sign are going to be off track because CC won't want to bring someone in who he doesn't think can adjust to the system.

I'm curious as to what the definition of a top 5-7 prop is, and why no one can win a comp without one? Are JFH and Leota top 5-7 props?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not merely putting forward an opinion, I've put forward evidence for the opinion and you've not addressed it, you're just saying I'm wrong. We basically kept our 3 best performing forwards from last season, who were already doing the job, and added a bunch of blokes who can also do the job. This along with Kiks staying injury free and hitting peak form again is the difference between the two seasons.

If I'm wrong, then CC can add any forward to our squad and after a season they will be working fine in the system. I don't think he will, I think he is being very selective about who he wants, and ability to be part of the team's line speed is the first line item on the criteria list. It is why he was after Conner Watson in the off season, and when he couldn't get him picked up Kurt Mann instead.

If I'm right, plenty of peoples ideas on who we should sign are going to be off track because CC won't want to bring someone in who he doesn't think can adjust to the system.

I'm curious as to what the definition of a top 5-7 prop is, and why no one can win a comp without one? Are JFH and Leota top 5-7 props?
Perhaps I look at it slightly differently, the question I ask is do we want/need a top 5 prop or do we need a prop that fits our system? Do any of the current top 5 props have the line speed to keep up with our guys? Can they do it for 80 minutes? Are they a cultural fit, team first, teammates second, club third? Our current systems only works if everyone buys in, if there is one player who breaks the line, too fast or too slow, then the defense doesn't work

Perhaps an example, NAS could well be considered a top 5 prop, does he fit our system? Personally I don't think so, his line speed isn't great, he definitely can't do it for 80 minutes and I'd be surprised if he fits the culture. Possibly some of reasons why Bellamy dropped him.

If we can find a top 5 prop that fits our system then that would be great, but I'm not at all keen on a top 5 prop that doesn't fit our system.

Always a Bulldog

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
then they're better off moving him off the wing in nsw cup and put him on a edge to develop.
I would prefer he went to prop, we are sweet for edge back rowers but anywhere in the forwards works for me , he isn’t a winger and he’s wasted there for mine.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Skelton is too good to not be in FG, was it due to his defence that he hasn't had a chance yet

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Skelton is too good to not be in FG, was it due to his defence that he hasn't had a chance yet
The kid is pure rocks and diamonds.. hasn't settled in rugby league yet.

Hopefully he acknowledges this and bides his time..

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
It was interesting seeing him playing on the left on the weekend, is that getting him ready to play in case JAC gets selected for origin? Or Maybe they just want to break up the Skelton/Perham combo?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It was interesting seeing him playing on the left on the weekend, is that getting him ready to play in case JAC gets selected for origin? Or Maybe they just want to break up the Skelton/Perham combo?
More learning for him, it makes it more beneficial for us if he can play both sides. We now do a lot of that all through the grades, player development in multiple aspects of their game, it's a win win.

Always a Bulldog