Opinion Silver tongue Ciraldo

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The difference is that Barrett tried to claim Ciraldo’s achievements as his own after a very brief stint at penrith. Their results are from Gus and Ciraldo. Cleary and Barrett were just the beneficiaries. Any coach could win with the team they have had for last 3 years.
Not just any coach could have moulded that team together. They were just juniors when they started - not cast offs from other clubs that were cobbled together with all the baggage they previously carried. They were a fresh canvas who needed a mentor and role model to look up to.

Gus is working on the same principle of developing our young talent, with a team culture, to promote into FG when they're ready. That was Penrith's model for success.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would give him 10-12 weeks. If we ain’t looking a punchers chance of at least top 8 then sack him. Don’t drag things out like we did with Barrett. If the writings on the walls then fuck him off early.

then - approach Shane Flanagan/Shaun Wane/Billy Slater/Michael Maguire/Geoff Toovey. Proven coaches.

if indeed Ciraldo is a flop then Gus should be sacked also. Spends too much time on Twitter big noting
It is always annoying when people suggest 5 or 6 people to replace a coach or player like you have. There are reasons why these people don't have a job.

If the Bulldogs are not winning after 10-12 weeks, then it is the players that need firing, not the coach. Being a good head coach is about having 30+ players that will bust a gut each week and a successful team of supportive coaches and trainers. Example - the Bulldogs under Barrett were fat lazy pricks! What was the FAT fitness coach doing (apart from doing 5 kebabs a day)? Fat F*ck gets the boot and they prove to be fitter at the end of the year than the start of the year.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would give him 10-12 weeks. If we ain’t looking a punchers chance of at least top 8 then sack him. Don’t drag things out like we did with Barrett. If the writings on the walls then fuck him off early.

then - approach Shane Flanagan/Shaun Wane/Billy Slater/Michael Maguire/Geoff Toovey. Proven coaches.

if indeed Ciraldo is a flop then Gus should be sacked also. Spends too much time on Twitter big noting
10 -12 weeks, Toovey???? Your off your head

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciraldo is unproven yes!

but when people talk about him. They all say he listens to everyone and communicates well with all levels throughout the club.

Barrett is an individualist. He makes all decisions and doesn’t listen to his people.

His absolute biggest concern should be who is our Strength & Conditioning coach.

Barrett had a lot of problems but not having a fit squad gave him no chance. We have been the least fit side in the comp for the last few seasons.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
hey,

Just finished watching his first couple of interviews for us and fuck me is this Barrett 2.0 or what?

I hope I’m wrong but it’s pretty clear to see he’s bamboozled everyone along the way with his silver tongue and his clean shaven good looks.
Again, hope I’m wrong but his pathway to this deal Is eerily similar to that of Barrett the fraud. Ciraldo is the apparently the genius behind panthers defence just like Barrett was the guru behind panthers attack ha ha ha!

hope I’m wrong but I am very concerned. We still don’t know if he can actually fucking coach!!!!
Only difference is that Gus hired him. We got the best available coach at the time. That’s all you can ask for

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It beats me that anybody with two brain cells to rub together can imagine that Ciraldo sounds like Barrett giving press conferences. Rugby league is a simple game and ,when Barrett spoke, he tried to make it sound like nuclear physics. So far, Ciraldo has only talked in feel-good sound bites, and there is nothing wrong with that. I imagine he is saving the analytical comments for the players.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After Des, its good that a person can be understood without sub-titles.
Ciraldo is very highly regarded by most of the R.L. fraternity.
He is getting a good support group together. He should be successful.
Theres a few gaps in the squad at the moment. Half, fullback and prop need to be improved.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
hey,

Just finished watching his first couple of interviews for us and fuck me is this Barrett 2.0 or what?

I hope I’m wrong but it’s pretty clear to see he’s bamboozled everyone along the way with his silver tongue and his clean shaven good looks.
Again, hope I’m wrong but his pathway to this deal Is eerily similar to that of Barrett the fraud. Ciraldo is the apparently the genius behind panthers defence just like Barrett was the guru behind panthers attack ha ha ha!

hope I’m wrong but I am very concerned. We still don’t know if he can actually fucking coach!!!!
Relax people, you can't judge a coach from his looks and how he's talks FFS

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Relax people, you can't judge a coach from his looks and how he's talks FFS
100% and if Barrett was given 18 months even with a proven losing record before coming to Belmore, I am sure CC will be given every oppitunity to succeed and I think he has a good chance of doing just that.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think that you can safely say that like great spine players, great coaches that aren't contracted are rare as hens teeth. That's why the likes of Nathan Brown keeps walking into gigs despite having achieved SFA.

So it was either we go with a coach that has a proven track record of mediocrity. Or do as we've done and take a punt on another rookie. It's a tough call and I hope we made the right one. Personally I thought Potter probably was worth the gamble as much as Ciraldo. But I'll back Ciraldo until he shows either way what he can do with our roster.

It's like those signs at the side of the road "do not stop, falling rocks". Things are in motion now and I know that we have little option but to see how things fall.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think your over looking one thing, Ciraldo actually took a junior team all the way Trent never could. Completely different coaches he will do better than Trent although the bar is very very low
Trent has made a tonne of mistakes ever since he started as first grade coach, where would we be if Phil didn't step in, Barrett terrible signings terrible coaching methods , hasn't hit the target with anything

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember when people use to say ‘he doesn’t have the cattle’
Geez the Kennel produces some of the worst rugby league minds.
Bloke had a top 4 roster at manly and nearly came last just lol [emoji23]

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The
Not true at all.
I was only 50/50 when Gus was appointed given we all know his football smarts and track record but we also know he’s struggled to stay in his lane in the past. But he got the job and he has a big job that won’t show major results in the short term - and anyone paying attention knows that. It’s not about praise or lack of for him, but about giving him the time he needs to deliver.
The key to having success with Gus is knowing when to cut him loose...

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
hey,

I too have watched a few of his interviews and, whilst he seems articulate enough, there seems to be very little depth or substance behind any of his ideas and answers.

I get the feeling Gus hired him because he will be malleable and submissive. I don't hav\e an issue with this - if it works.