Should the NRL use the AFL system of having a week off before the Finals?

Which system should the NRL use?

• Bye week before the Finals

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Bye week before the GF

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Leave as is

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'd go back to the top 5 system. That's how the JRL runs it.

Rewards the actual good teams and doesn't reward duds that are there by default.

It will also make the Minor Premiership mean something again by giving them possibly 2 byes in the finals.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a bye week before finals as long as they do a bottom 8 sudden death over 2 weeks during the bye week.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'd go back to the top 5 system. That's how the JRL runs it.

Rewards the actual good teams and doesn't reward duds that are there by default.

It will also make the Minor Premiership mean something again by giving them possibly 2 byes in the finals.
It would be terrible because the last month of the season would be meaningless.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The whole season is terrible already with all the shit teams lol
I think more teams should make it than less. Also they should call it playoffs and not finals.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I just wish we were run exactly like the NFL
You want a rookie draft?

I hate the NFL salary cap system but other than that it's awesome.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You want a rookie draft?

I hate the NFL salary cap system but other than that it's awesome.
Actually is it possible to set it up like the NFL without the draft?

20 teams
2 conferences (NSWRL and ARL)
2 divisions

?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

20 teams
2 divisions

?
18 team comp.
NRL stops for 3 weeks in a row midseason to play Origin on 3 straight Sundays. On Friday & Saturday we have International games.
NRL is 3 divisions of 6.
You play every team once & your division rivals twice for a total of 22 games. No byes all season.
Division champs & next best 7 teams make the playoffs. Every Playoff game is a knockout game.
Week 1 is 7th vs 10th. 8th vs 9th. Top 6 get a bye.
Highest ranked team in each Playoff game picks where the game is played until the Final 4 as I would give them a cut of the gates.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's 1 of many things that are broken. To fix the issues I would:

18 team comp.
NRL stops for 3 weeks in a row midseason to play Origin on 3 straight Sundays. On Friday & Saturday we have International games.
NRL is 3 divisions of 6.
You play every team once & your division rivals twice for a total of 22 games. No byes all season.
Division champs & next best 7 teams make the playoffs. Every Playoff game is a knockout game.
Highest ranked team in each Playoff game picks where the game is played until the Final 4 as I would give them a cut of the gates.

That makes the comp the fairest for every team.
This is great , the current system is rubbish

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
18 team comp.
NRL is 3 divisions of 6.

20 teams
2 divisions
The problem with Conferences, no matter how many, is the devil is in the detail. How do you split 17/18/20 teams evenly/fairly in Australia, NZ, plus PNG and/or Pacifica (assuming they’re additional teams) without some teams having shit loads of air travel between games, staying in hotels for day/s and some other teams enjoying short bus trips and being home between games.

The teams forced to travel for days between games are never going to agree to being so disadvantaged.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The problem with Conferences, no matter how many, is the devil is in the detail. How do you split 17/18/20 teams evenly/fairly in Australia, NZ, plus PNG and/or Pacifica (assuming they’re additional teams) without some teams having shit loads of air travel between games, staying in hotels for day/s and some other teams enjoying short bus trips and being home between games.

The teams forced to travel for days between games are never going to agree to being so disadvantaged.

Always a Bulldog
The draw wont actually change too much. It would even be easier on all teams. Right now every team plays each other once then they play another 8 teams twice. In my plan you play every team once then only 5 teams twice.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, once an 18th team is brought in and there are less byes throughout the season.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We're looking like having more than a 10 year break before finals. You'd better believe when the moment comes, we'll be ready lololol