Short drop out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's crazy not to try the short kick if your on line defence is sound. Most of the time the attacking team gets tackled about 30m out from the long kick. Short or long kick the pattern is usually the same from the attacking team. Burn a few tackles to put on a set play. Its easier to put that set play on outside the 10m. The short kick makes sense, for good defensive teams. I'd try the occasional short kicks from the halfway too. The 20 odd metres you lose is worth it if you get the occasional one.

Last edited:

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So what would it take for you to enjoy a win and get excited? Obviously the first win in 6 months doesnt get you going. Depleted storm? How so? If Smith and Cronk play, they are full strength.
Spot on Dognacious! some people on here are for the negativity / hate no matter how well we play....the storm game was a lottery IMO no one talks about the 5 zip penalties against us last night or 75% - 25% against us with possession in the first 20 minutes do they? sick of all the bull shit baggers out there.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i like this move because the risk-reward and because the other team should have less numbers to contest the ball

then if they move players to stop this there should be some space somewhere else

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Short kick offs are a nightmare, when I played Junior League I got done 3 times in a row by them. Luckily we were a much better side so it didn't matter.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I have held the conclusion for years that short drop outs and kick offs should be the norm, why give over free ball when it can be contested? Maybe that's why yawnion does it?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have held the conclusion for years that short drop outs and kick offs should be the norm, why give over free ball when it can be contested? Maybe that's why yawnion does it?
Don't the Walker coached team employ these sort of tactics and with good results

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with the tactic.
You either get the ball back or you end up defending 20m out, where most teams are comfortable defending.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Don't the Walker coached team employ these sort of tactics and with good results
The Walker brothers have been a revelation to coaching. Think it was 2 years ago when they won the premiership, some of the best footy I have seen in decades. Last week before the game they said that after only doing 50 odd offloads in the previous game they wanted to get it back up to the 60's lol. They promote footy!

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
This is actually a smart move. No momentum off a long winding run back and your defensive line is set and doesn't have to continually retreat. Plus you have probably 40% chance of getting it back.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So what would it take for you to enjoy a win and get excited? Obviously the first win in 6 months doesnt get you going. Depleted storm? How so? If Smith and Cronk play, they are full strength.
I bloody enjoyed the win and was very happy! I've kept completely away from the negativity bandwagon here the last 6 months!

I'm stating our defense isn't as top notch as we've made it out to be. It's the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.