Shaving points

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone that’s familiar with nba knows about this. The ref can call a foul basically from their own interpretation of contact and after a few fouls per quarter every foul is automatically 2 shots, 1 point each from the free throw line regardless of where the foul happens. Now that’s explained for the unfamiliar there was a bunch of refs in the 00’s linked with the mob and basically they placed large bets on the margin which the refs ensured happened by calling fouls. It didn’t affect the result per se but it was a way to make a lot of cash without being obvious in cheating. It all ended up coming out etc and people testified it happened.

Now relevant to the current NRL I think the 6 again rule is basically the same thing as the nba foul. You can’t challenge it, the ref can basically find an infringement in every ruck if you’re looking to the rule book. Now I’m not saying they are cheating despite the game strong links to betting agencies and run by racing NSW boss or former, but they are trying to sell a product and a contest is the most exciting thing and easy to sell to fans. They can literally call 6 again one after the other until the defending side can’t handle another set. It swings momentum on a dime and can bring teams that are down big early back into the game. Just feels so obvious watching the game lately, it’s time to get rid of it and any innuendo of influence of margins or score lines.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worst rule change ever. Only brought in to "speed up the game" but is actually a tool for rorting and cheating. And cannot be questioned. And will not be removed unfortunately. As you said you can basically call a 6 again whenever you want. And the rule book will have something there to back it up.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Terrible rule. It's almost like watching touch footy. Not surprised that one team has won 3 premierships in a row after the introduction of this rule.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am pretty over the 6 again rule, just makes it easy to make a team suffer when the fix is on...

How many times do our opposition get 6 again calls against us late into the tackle count when are on our line defending our asses off while we get them one the first or second tackle in crap field position

Also if people have noticed, some teams (souths the fucks) usually get yardage penalties instead of 6 again calls to march them up continuously

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone that’s familiar with nba knows about this. The ref can call a foul basically from their own interpretation of contact and after a few fouls per quarter every foul is automatically 2 shots, 1 point each from the free throw line regardless of where the foul happens. Now that’s explained for the unfamiliar there was a bunch of refs in the 00’s linked with the mob and basically they placed large bets on the margin which the refs ensured happened by calling fouls. It didn’t affect the result per se but it was a way to make a lot of cash without being obvious in cheating. It all ended up coming out etc and people testified it happened.

Now relevant to the current NRL I think the 6 again rule is basically the same thing as the nba foul. You can’t challenge it, the ref can basically find an infringement in every ruck if you’re looking to the rule book. Now I’m not saying they are cheating despite the game strong links to betting agencies and run by racing NSW boss or former, but they are trying to sell a product and a contest is the most exciting thing and easy to sell to fans. They can literally call 6 again one after the other until the defending side can’t handle another set. It swings momentum on a dime and can bring teams that are down big early back into the game. Just feels so obvious watching the game lately, it’s time to get rid of it and any innuendo of influence of margins or score lines.
The rules are so open to corruption now . . . .It's hardly surprising we're going to Vegas . . . .I've heard the 2027 season opener is in Macau . . . Ni how China !!!

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

The NRL must get rid of the six again. This is from an unbiased perspective.

It's obviously a speculative decision, it removes responsibility to the referees and opens an easy avenue for corruption. It's not needed for the football product despite it's intentions.

No stats to back me but a pattern I've noticed is a lot (I won't say most tries/points) eventuate in some form even on the zero or 1st on a six again which would've been the 3rd 4th tackle anyway, no need for it.

The game was at a good pace, and even a good pace in the Melbourne wrestling era.

We want the game safe, but less trigger happy, less pedantic, let it flow as long as there's no obvious blights then call it penalty. Otherwise give warnings, pull the captains to the side and quick chat, tell the players to replay the ball on speculative issues, etc, like Harrigan used to. That's part of the spectacle too, when the refs chat timeout and chat, I remember that as a kid.

Touch footy isn't prime tv because we also want to see tactics planned, proper battles of attrition, a nice balance. Little men making big men look silly used to happen before the six again.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Worst rule change ever. Only brought in to "speed up the game" but is actually a tool for rorting and cheating. And cannot be questioned. And will not be removed unfortunately. As you said you can basically call a 6 again whenever you want. And the rule book will have something there to back it up.
I think it's Junior , Wayne Pearce, that has been doing these recommendations for the last something years, Rugby League historically has had rule changes to improve the game but it got to a point where it's excessively being modified when it's not needed. They should fix technical issues not the way the game is played

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The 6 again bell was sounding like a poker machine jackpot in both halves. I do not like the 6 again at all - half the time I do not even see how it was warranted. It's too easy for a ref to use his confirmation bias in that area to give a team a chance to edge out a win.

Last edited:

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
6 again can work when warranted but when it is (for us) its not given, the roosters got 3 back to back and that lead to a try while we got 1 up until that point (they had 9 iirc).

They slowed us down plenty with purpose looking back at the ref for the call to get up, until its treated black and white which it never will it needs to be removed from the game.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Do the coaches or GM Football or CEO's any say in these rule changes...apart from the stacked rule committee (which doesn't appear to represent all the teams).

Have yet to find anyone who likes, or trusts, the 6 again rule.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like the rule, it’s just open to manipulation. I felt the roosters were holding us down more than we were last night. It’s a shame, cause without it teams were just holding on for ridiculous amounts of time. At least this does limit the wrestle to a degree

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could say Gerard Sutton understands this concept!

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Yeah fuck it off. The momentum a team can get from multiple 6 agains is crazy and it's difficult for the opposition to come back from. And even if the momentum does swing back, it's usually because the ref is trying to even it up. Makes for frustrating footy for fans and players alike.

A safer option would be to reduce the interchange, considering how fit players are nowadays.