Sharks for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
CRONULLA-SUTHERLAND chief executive Tony Zappia has proclaimed the Sharks are now "for sale" and he will be seeking cashed-up equity partners in the club following a swift rejection of plans to relocate five home games to the Central Coast.
Zappia said he was extremely disappointed at the decision of the NRL's partnership executive, which yesterday afternoon decided not to support an $800,000 part-relocation idea at this stage.
"I am very disappointed, but it was an opportunity that we needed to look at, and not getting approval is a hurdle we need to overcome," Zappia said.
Plan B for the Sharks is to seek financial backers prepared to buy a stake in the club, which is potentially asset rich - with undeveloped land beside the leagues club - but cash poor.
Last year, the Sharks lost $1.4 million, turned $6 million in the bank into a $2 million overdraft and have more than $12 million of short-term debt that has still to be refinanced.
Zappia is looking for some guaranteed income to satisfy the bankers that the football club and leagues club entities can operate as a going concern. Long term, the club is looking to develop the land with a $110 million proposal before Sutherland Council.
"We have to be proactive, it is tough, but I want to see if there is anyone out there who wants equity in the Sharks, I will be knocking on everyone's door," Zappia said.
"The Sharks board hasn't canvassed it, but it is part of my responsibility to look at whatever is out there."
When asked how much he thought the club was worth, he replied : "I don't know, I have to sit down and think about it."
Zappia said in order to generate more immediate cash flow he may look to play more games in Adelaide - where the South Australian government has been offering financial incentives - and removing the Sharks' home-ground advantage when they are due to play the Brisbane Broncos in late June, relocating the match from Toyota Stadium to Suncorp Stadium.
"Adelaide is a possibility, or playing Brisbane in Brisbane, not at Toyota, might be something, they get reasonable crowds up there, much more than we do," Zappia said.
Zappia might look at the history books of the Sharks before knocking on too many doors. Back in 1986 the flamboyant doctor Geoffrey Edelsten presented his wife Leanne with her second wedding anniversary gift - the Cronulla-Sutherland rugby league team - draped in her favourite colour of pink at a Sydney hotel.

Her immediate comment? "They're a good-looking bunch of boys."
However, the deal for private ownership fell through.
NRL chief executive David Gallop said the code was not prepared to put money into Cronulla's Central Coast plan because it wasn't justified for such a short-term, ad hoc approach.
The partnership executive felt that the money wouldn't necessarily solve the Sharks' financial woes either.
However, it is understood the NRL is sympathetic to the Sharks' plight and are willing to look at various other measures to help them trade out of trouble.
Under the current broadcast deal the NRL is contractually obliged to provide eight games a week.
"The partnership executive committee has only had the opportunity to look at Cronulla's proposal on a preliminary basis, but it appeared that it was neither one thing or the other, it doesn't solve Cronulla's issues nor did it give the game what it was looking for, which was a fully-fledged team on the Central Coast," Gallop said.
"We will work with Cronulla and see where they are at and their options, but we don't see any value in pursuing the Central Coast."
Gallop said the Bulldogs had previously switched home games to south-east Queensland because of the more lucrative gate receipts and a proposal to do the same for the Sharks' clash with the Broncos would be considered favourably.
As for a partial or full sale of the club? "The NRL would not discourage that," Gallop said.
It is understood that the Sharks' main creditor, St George Bank, has put together a deal to refinance the club's short-term debt, but the terms of such a proposal, including the interest rate, are unclear at this point.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/sharks-for-sale/2009/05/07/1241289300631.html

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
mmm looks at kennel kash....

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
300,000 KK enough?

i heard they are going to sell the sharks at the next garage sale. First in first served :grinning:

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i'll give em $.50 only change i got in my wallet atm :o

doctr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow sucks to be them. Selling themselves to survive. The sharks are now the hookers of the nrl :grinning:

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its the beginning of the end for cronulla

relocation is their best option..

Kent Brockman

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can somebody doctor up a fake eBay add for the sharks, with ZERO bids or something?

I wana put it on the notice board at work, we have many sharks fans :D

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They want money?

How about $10-11 million?

Does that interest them?

If so, then move to Perth!

Why is the possibility of this not even raised?

Surely Perth is a great option for Cronulla in order to survive and remain in the competition for years to come. And prosper financially.

Why on earth are they not even thinking about Perth?

Someone please explain this to me.

And why are Gallop and the NRL not encouraging them to go to Perth?

In doing so, the Sharks give the NRL a presence outside of the eastern seaboard, it helps the competition become national without having to add a new franchise and it also allows the NRL to allow the Central Coast into the comp which it obviously wants to do.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Perth struggle to understand the AFL rules, and have nfi about union rules. God help them if another NRL team goes there :p

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perth struggle to understand the AFL rules, and have nfi about union rules. God help them if another NRL team goes there :p
Haha. None of that matters if you're Cronulla Hani because this is by far the best option they have.

I can't see 11 million on the table anywhere else.

They would go from being one of 10 NRL teams in NSW to the only team in WA and Perth. Much less competition for the dollar and public interest over there.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
the question is, would Perth want them? Dont even think Perth likes the shire folks :p

bring back the Perth Reds lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
the question is, would Perth want them? Dont even think Perth likes the shire folks :p

bring back the Perth Reds lol
Perth have wanted a Rugby League team for a while and they have a very good infrastructure there and have been building up wisely for years now in order to get their own team.

If Cronulla fully relocated I think Perth would embrace them.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
better to just fold and start the perth reds again. Sharks are tainted, wont matter much to history either since they didnt win anything

za_za360

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They want money?

How about $10-11 million?

Does that interest them?

If so, then move to Perth!

Why is the possibility of this not even raised?

Surely Perth is a great option for Cronulla in order to survive and remain in the competition for years to come. And prosper financially.

Why on earth are they not even thinking about Perth?

Someone please explain this to me.

And why are Gallop and the NRL not encouraging them to go to Perth?

In doing so, the Sharks give the NRL a presence outside of the eastern seaboard, it helps the competition become national without having to add a new franchise and it also allows the NRL to allow the Central Coast into the comp which it obviously wants to do.

They obviously have future plans for their leagues club, so I guess relocation would be a last resort. I think its a smart decision to sell of a part of the club, it will stabilise the current financial situation they are in - and also it will invite other potential backers knowing that there are others people willing to shoulder the risk.
They are property rich - and they just need the time to exploit it. If they get council approval for that development, financial insecurity will quickly become a thing of the past for the Sharks.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They obviously have future plans for their leagues club, so I guess relocation would be a last resort. I think its a smart decision to sell of a part of the club, it will stabilise the current financial situation they are in - and also it will invite other potential backers knowing that there are others people willing to shoulder the risk.
They are property rich - and they just need the time to exploit it. If they get council approval for that development, financial insecurity will quickly become a thing of the past for the Sharks.
Considering how dire their finances are at the moment and how close they are to extinction (they have needed bank loans and NRL handouts the last few years just to stay afloat) I don't think they have years and years to wait for all of these developments to eventuate.

Especially in this current economical climate where the downturn shows no signs of abatng. In this market, $11 million is a phenomenal amount of money. Way too much too turn down when you have few other viable options and when you can assure long term survival.

In truth, they serve no prurpose to anyone being in Cronulla. Last year they made the 4 and no one went to games. They have no junior base, no public support, it isn't an area Rugby League needs a team in and now they are nearly bankrupt.

Taking the $11 million, ensuring their long term survival and doing themselves and the league a favour would be the best option for everybody.

Plus they could still play 2 or 3 home games at Cronulla a year if at Perth and would still have a presence and some level of support in Sydney each time they played one of the other 9 NSW teams in away games.

za_za360

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Considering how dire their finances are at the moment and how close they are to extinction (they have needed bank loans and NRL handouts the last few years just to stay afloat) I don't think they have years and years to wait for all of these developments to eventuate.

Especially in this current economical climate where the downturn shows no signs of abatng. In this market, $11 million is a phenomenal amount of money. Way too much too turn down when you have few other viable options and when you can assure long term survival.

In truth, they serve no prurpose to anyone being in Cronulla. Last year they made the 4 and no one went to games. They have no junior base, no public support, it isn't an area Rugby League needs a team in and now they are nearly bankrupt.

Taking the $11 million, ensuring their long term survival and doing themselves and the league a favour would be the best option for everybody.

Plus they could still play 2 or 3 home games at Cronulla a year if at Perth and would still have a presence and some level of support in Sydney each time they played one of the other 9 NSW teams in away games.

They do seem to lack public support, and the club wont continue if they have no fans. But there are over 200,000 people living in the shire compared to 170,000 in parramatta, 180,000 in penrith. Im pretty sure there are ways to bring back the crowds. If there is the probability of future successful revenue stream in the shire - it would be stupid of the Sharks and the NRL to throw it away. I know that they have a limited breeding ground in that they are bound between st george and wollongong, but thats the beauty of the nrl - you dont need a ****load of juniors, just steal them off the others clubs.
Also 11 million is chump change these days. The club last year went from 6million in the bank, to a 2mill overdraft. At that rate 11 million would last little over a year.
I am a supporter of an NRL team being set-up in Perth, but im unsure of how well a relocation would work.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I listen to 2UE sports show often and it feels good that our club is not mentioned in the same vein. I mean how would you feel if you supported 1 club all your life and that too with a passion, is no longer there. I feel sorry for the sharks & Manly supporters

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Perth? They played a game at Adelaide two weeks ago. IMO, either Adelaide or Central Coast. (Permanent)

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL
how funny was the footy show sharks against bye
lolll the retard bloke was actually gonna go to the game he asked for 2 tickets
wataa dud !

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
they should play all their games early morning at cronulla beach..at least the waxheads may watch the game then

Status
Not open for further replies.