Rumour Sexton hunted by Raiders

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm telling ya Jake Clydesdale should be the target if any swap is entertained... Should never swap for an off contract forward like Mooney, back your club to sign him anyways

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the SG Ball grand final Mitchell Woods will need to be fast tracked to the grade.

I think Gus has made the decision Sexton has no future at the club. We need Woods playing higher grades as soon as he wins the SG Ball grand final next week.

Bullfrog2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gives us that Red headed forward they have, he goes ok!
I say no to letting him go.
We need depth, raiders should fuck off.
What happens if we get injuries!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gives us that Red headed forward they have, he goes ok!
I say no to letting him go.
We need depth, raiders should fuck off.
What happens if we get injuries!
It hurts a little short term/this year but I think Taaffe and Tracey, and even O'Neill, can play there if Hutch is unplayable. I don't think Sexton is going to be retained after this season so if we can get a short and long term option from it that's pretty beneficial for us.

Bullfrog2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It hurts a little short term/this year but I think Taaffe and Tracey, and even O'Neill, can play there if Hutch is unplayable. I don't think Sexton is going to be retained after this season so if we can get a short and long term option from it that's pretty beneficial for us.
From what I have seen in the last month, we make the 8 anything is possible.
I would prefer the depth, our forwards are standing up.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do people not think logically about these rumours?

Fogarty was only injured yesterday and by Raiders websites own admission, was only being sent for scans today (so even they don't know the extent of his injury), yet people are believing that a deal is already done to get a player from us is in the wings.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Do people not think logically about these rumours?

Fogarty was only injured yesterday and by Raiders websites own admission, was only being sent for scans today (so even they don't know the extent of his injury), yet people are believing that a deal is already done to get a player from us is in the wings.
A main reason why it was reported/made up is because it's an idea that makes sense. I think half the time journalists or w.e. you call them add 1+1 together for their stories/reports (depends who of course, but especially the lesser known people who have a lower track record). It sparks discussion at least.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sexton isn’t a week in week out halfback. show and go Hutchinson is also not NRL standards. But I’m not sure if people realise why he is in the team? Burton isn’t a talker. He doesn’t steer us around the park. Doesn’t set up plays or calls for the ball. Hutchinson does this. But his own ball playing is very poor.

Sexton is the same as Burton. Yes he might have a better pass on him a maybe a better short kicking game. But if we are in trouble neither Burton or Sexton are the player to bark instructions or take the bull by the horns to get us rolling or back into games. To be fair to Ciro he saw something in hutch during the preseason (same as hayze last year). He had come from a system with natural leaders in Edwards, Cleary, Yeo. People who bark out instructions and get the team rolling. And even with a big deficit (think gf last year) they still have the poise and direction to keep them in the game or get them back into games and win.

Hutch had been a flop. He lacks ball playing, lacks vision and lacks getting ball to our right edge. He is taking show and go hit ups on the 4th. Not sure what his stats are but he wouldn’t have many try assists this year. Doubt it’s even close to one a game but I might be wrong.

But sexton isn’t the answer. Maybe taaffe can fill in. Maybe we will have hutch and taaffe in the 17 for a while and chop and change. But sexton could potentially send us backwards if he doesn’t steer us around the Park. If sexton is to go it won’t be a huge loss unless we lose hutch, Hayward and taaffe to long term injuries.

The fact Hutch was hooked yesterday shows Ciro realises there is an issue. And the fact he put Taaffe there is promising. Might not lead to anything but atleast we know he isn’t and dumb as people on here think.

Last edited:

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sexton isn’t a week in week out halfback. show and go Hutchinson is also not NRL standards. But I’m not sure if people realise why he is in the team? Burton isn’t a talker. He doesn’t steer us around the park. Doesn’t set up plays or calls for the ball. Hutchinson does this. But his own ball playing is very poor.

Sexton is the same as Burton. Yes he might have a better pass on him a maybe a better short kicking game. But if we are in trouble neither Burton or Sexton are the player to bark instructions or take the bull by the horns to get us rolling or back into games. To be fair to Ciro he saw something in hutch during the preseason (same as hayze last year). He had come from a system with natural leaders in Edwards, Cleary, Yeo. People who bark out instructions and get the team rolling. And even with a big deficit (think gf last year) they still have the poise and direction to keep them in the game or get them back into games and win.

Hutch had been a flop. He lacks ball playing, lacks vision and lacks getting ball to our right edge. He is taking show and go hit ups on the 4th. Not sure what his stats are but he wouldn’t have many try assists this year. Doubt it’s even close to one a game but I might be wrong.

But sexton isn’t the answer. Maybe taaffe can fill in. Maybe we will have hutch and taaffe in the 17 for a while and chop and change. But sexton could potentially send us backwards if he doesn’t steer us around the Park. If sexton is to go it won’t be a huge loss unless we lose hutch, Hayward and taaffe to long term injuries.

The fact Hutch was hooked yesterday shows Ciro realises there is an issue. And the fact he put Taaffe there is promising. Might not lead to anything but atleast we know he isn’t and dumb as people on here think.
Yeah I think CC said he wanted to bring him on 10 mins earlier but then Critta and others were cramping up so he had to wait in case one of them had to come off instead

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

With the 2 minutes that taaffe was on he set up a try.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we can get one of the canberra big boys this would be ideal. Mooney is the obvious one but Ata Mariota looks the goods, Big red not getting any game time and could be useful as well.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice post .... you have hit the nail on the head about Hutchison being a talker/organizer .... Someone HAS to do it and he is also the best defender of all our options at the position .... Hutch may miss some tackles in scramble situations which skew his stats but generally speaking people do not run over the top of him .. He also provides a calm head ... I wish punters would put their thinking caps on and at least TRY to understand the situation.

Regarding Sexton ... He has some game but i think Oneill definitely has the higher ceiling and might even be the better player already ..... but like Sexton i worry about the defensive side of the game with him ....

Early in the season CC was always picking the team with defense at the forefront ..... as the season unfolds and confidence builds within the squad i think we will see a change .... Sexton, Oneill, Taffee and a couple of smokies in Tia and Joash provide some options moving forward. Haywood could also be in contention as he would be far and away the best defender but he never impressed me as a half in the lower grades.

It is important to understand .... CC will always play the superior defender.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice post .... you have hit the nail on the head about Hutchison being a talker/organizer .... Someone HAS to do it and he is also the best defender of all our options at the position .... Hutch may miss some tackles in scramble situations which skew his stats but generally speaking people do not run over the top of him .. He also provides a calm head ... I wish punters would put their thinking caps on and at least TRY to understand the situation.

Regarding Sexton ... He has some game but i think Oneill definitely has the higher ceiling and might even be the better player already ..... but like Sexton i worry about the defensive side of the game with him ....

Early in the season CC was always picking the team with defense at the forefront ..... as the season unfolds and confidence builds within the squad i think we will see a change .... Sexton, Oneill, Taffee and a couple of smokies in Tia and Joash provide some options moving forward. Haywood could also be in contention as he would be far and away the best defender but he never impressed me as a half in the lower grades.

It is important to understand .... CC will always play the superior defender.
Iv only seen Tia in two games - both games he kicked extremely well n was robust in attack n defence - overplayed his hand a little. Spot on re defence being the priority - both preston n mann back who gets left out from the 16 who played well yesterday

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iv only seen Tia in two games - both games he kicked extremely well n was robust in attack n defence - overplayed his hand a little. Spot on re defence being the priority - both preston n mann back who gets left out from the 16 who played well yesterday
Yeah, the reason i mentioned Tia was because of his build .... he is pretty solid and has a very good kicking game.

Haywood and Taffee to miss out .... ??

If Taffee were to get dropped does he play fullback in reserves ?? .... if so where does Joash play ?? .... ditto Sexton ??

I think we let Sexton go if offers come for him ..... Canberra if the rumor has legs have some nice players on their books ... I am also sure Sexton can see the writing on the wall that the younger guys like Oneill, Woods, Conti are probably going to overtake him moving forward.

Some VERY interesting selections coming up ....

Todd, Skelton and Katouga are playing great and must be coming into some sort of consideration for bench spots as well ....