News Settled Averillo feeling right at home on centre stage

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s played every position in the blue and white backline but Jake Averillo believes he’s finally found a home in the centres for Cameron Ciraldo’s Bulldogs.

Since making his debut as a teenager in 2020, the 22-year-old Belmore junior has taken the utility tag to a whole new level, having played at wing, centre, five-eighth, halfback, fullback and off the bench at hooker across his 65-game career.

Having nailed down the Bulldogs’ No. 3 jersey in all 11 games this season, Averillo said his recent form can be put down to consistency under new coach Ciraldo.

“I think what suits me is being able to develop in that position, knowing I'm playing at centre every week has definitely helped,” Averillo told NRL.com.

“I think the centre position allows me to get into the game more and allows me to bring out the best for myself. As long as I'm getting the ball and a bit of space and time, I’m happy.

“But it is quite different to other positions. The hardest part is probably defence, your decisions at centre are probably the most crucial.

“So that’s something I've learned and just being able to get a lot of reps there from the start of pre-season has definitely helped make me feel a bit more comfortable there."

Since arriving at Belmore ahead of the 2023 season, Ciraldo has had a clear plan for Averillo to be his right-edge centre and the Moorebank Ram has responded with some of the best footy of his blossoming career.

“Cirro said from the start he saw me as a centre and thought I could play some good footy there,” he said.

“I’m really grateful he put me there early in the pre-season so I could gain a bit of confidence there.

“I think it's just come back to stability and getting those reps all the way back from preseason has definitely helped to make me feel a bit more comfortable out on the field."

Averillo has been one of the shining lights for a Bulldogs side sitting 15th heading into Round 12, notching six tries, four try assists and 29 tackle breaks while averaging 110 run metres per game.

With right-edge partner Jacob Kiraz continuing to enhance his reputation after a superb World Cup with Lebanon, the new-age Bulldogs are revelling in a similar style of “off the cuff” football.

“I’ve got a pretty good combo there with Kiraz, I think it also helped that we had the whole pre-season to start working together on our edge there,” Averillo said.

“I’ve said before, I think we’re both pretty unorthodox, so I think we bounce off each other a bit in that way and like playing what’s in front of us.

“The big focus for us has been competing on everything, that’s been a big standpoint and winning those little individual battles on our side."

Averillo is off contract at the end of 2023, and while he believes success is just around the corner at the Bulldogs, he'll keep options open and "see what pans out".

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jake has shown more flair than most in our backline ,would like him to stay if Gus can get us forwards who can be way more aggressive then we can hopefully see the best of the bulldogs.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Had his best game last week but In all honesty no big loss.

In saying that hopefully the club can seal a 2 year deal to see if he further grows. Should be enough time to see what Joash Papali'i, Michael Gabriel, Jordi Mazzone, Jordan Semrani and Eli Clarke are offering who all seem to be much better juniors.

If he leaves for bigger offers then we can easily fill the void moving Kiraz to center and play Wilson/Skelton wing

Last edited:

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if he stays. That last bit, keep my option open and see what pans out. I could have sworn he was quoted earlier in the year as saying he wants to stay. With Xerri and Crichton coming, unsure as to how he fits in, would make a good 14 off the bench, but is that the role he wants?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if he stays. That last bit, keep my option open and see what pans out. I could have sworn he was quoted earlier in the year as saying he wants to stay. With Xerri and Crichton coming, unsure as to how he fits in, would make a good 14 off the bench, but is that the role he wants?
We can't afford him anymore

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jake has shown more flair than most in our backline ,would like him to stay if Gus can get us forwards who can be way more aggressive then we can hopefully see the best of the bulldogs.
Talking too much sense now...
Patience in helping our juniors development isn't needed according to some, they would rather spent $800k a season on a centre wanting to be a fullback, if successful we are all laughing if not what then ?
We resort to the norm, Let's abuse that player the coach and everyone else at the club :tearsofjoy:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo gone by that last comment
He hasn’t received an offer from us. So of course he is going to say something like that. He knows we already have an over supply of outside backs signed for next season.

I think the best offer he could hope for from us is a minimum wage top 30 contract. I cannot see him finding an NRL spot without injuries next year.

Whist I don’t think he starts in many if any other NRL teams. He might find another club that pays slightly more as a depth signing.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think Averillo is showing more upside to his game than Allomotti at the moment. Allomotti doesn't seem quick enough or mobile enough to become an elite centre. I know he is only 19 but I don't see him improving those 2 aspects that are crucial for a top line centre. Even Mal who would stream roll opponents had effective enough acceleration that would make defenders panic. Hope I am wrong but don't think I will be. A Career in the back row beckons Allomotti. Averillo is looking a constant threat and his defence has improved out of site this year.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Again...poor management. We invested 70 first games in him just to possibly lose him to someone else as he turns the tide. Hopefully not.
We have a huge cap space in 2024 and 2025 and it remains to be seen how we use it, I believe the solution in next season's crowded back line is Alamoti's ending in the back row as a result of loss of speed,
It leaves a possible backline of
1 Crichton
2 Kiraz
3 Averillo
4 Xerri
5 JAC
Not bad at all.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We can afford him but he might want guarantees that he's playing centre next year. Maybe he will at the start if the year. Even tho he's most likely going to be off the bench next year if we keep him I'd probably have no issues with paying him what he's worth as a starting centre even as a 14.