Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldawg

bulldog
Reaction score
Schick Preview: Manly Sea Eagles v Canterbury Bulldogs
Brookvale Oval
Friday 8:05pm

Des Hasler returns to Brookvale once more as his Bulldogs take on a new-look Manly side when Friday night football kicks off for the first time in 2016.

Under new coach Trent Barrett the Sea Eagles are hardly recognisable, the team overhauled after last season's bottom-eight finish.

Martin Taupau, Dylan Walker, Nate Myles, Lewis Brown, Nathan Green and Apisai Koroisau will all make their debuts in the starting side for Manly. A seventh new face, Matt Parcell, has been named on the interchange.

The Bulldogs received terrible news on Tuesday morning when a simple arthroscopy on Brett Morris's knee turned into full blown surgery, meaning the NSW and Kangaroos representative is looking at four months on the sideline.

It means recruit Will Hopoate steps into the No.1 jumper for his first game as a Bulldog.

Otherwise it's all systems go for Des Hasler's men with the usual suspects named. Adam Elliott though will make his NRL debut on the bench in place of the suspended David Klemmer while Josh Morris will look to score his 100th career try.

Watch out Sea Eagles:
Combinations are crucial. Any new-look team is going to have teething problems and quite frankly nobody will know what Manly are going to bring to the table in 2016 until Friday night. Their thumping trial victory over Ipswich will help but the NRL is a whole different ball game. Before they can start concentration on the Bulldogs they'll need to concentrate on their own backyard.

Watch out Bulldogs: One of the Bulldogs' real strengths in recent years has been their giant forward pack, but how will they cope with the reduction in interchanges in the NRL in 2016? How the likes of Sam Kasiano and Greg Eastwood manage the workload with larger stints on the field is of most concern to the Dogs.

Key match-up: Apisai Koroisau v Michael Lichaa. Apisai Koroisau has won the race for the Sea Eagles No.9 jumper vacated by Matt Ballin, edging out Matt Parcell. Having overcome shoulder surgery, off-field dramas and personal tragedy over the off-season Koroisau will be looking to make the most of his fresh start on the Northern Beaches. Michael Lichaa is simply looking to bounce back from his good form displayed last year. While an ankle injury devastatingly ended his year early in 2015, the 22-year-old is out to prove he has what it takes to play every single minute for the Dogs in the season ahead.

The history: Played 123; Sea Eagles 63, Bulldogs 55, Drawn 5. The Sea Eagles have lost seven of their past nine games against the Bulldogs, including the last four straight. Recent history will throw a few extra degrees of difficulty on Barrett's first game in charge.

What are the odds: Sportsbet punters are predicting a close one at Brookvale with only slightly more dollars on Manly in head-to-head betting. There's been very little interest in either team winning 13-plus either so we could be in for a tight one if the money trail is to be believed. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au

Match officials: Referee: Gerard Sutton. Assistant Referee: Matt Noyen. Sideline Officials: Jason Walsh and Adam Reid.

Televised: Channel Nine (Live) – 7:30pm; Fox Sports 1 (Live) – 8pm.

The way we see it: With history and consistency on their side, the Bulldogs may prove all too much for the Sea Eagles' first outing under Barrett. Hasler will leave no stone unturned in an effort to sink his former team especially now he has a settled halves pairing to utilise in the grand scheme of the game. Bulldogs by six points.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
Actually seems to me a pretty fair summary. Trent Barrett is a complete unknown. Could be a really good game. Hope its not too hot and the boys from both sides can really stretch out. Also hope the ground is in good condition so no injuries.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
Actually seems to me a pretty fair summary. Trent Barrett is a complete unknown. Could be a really good game. Hope its not too hot and the boys from both sides can really stretch out. Also hope the ground is in good condition so no injuries.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its a good test for our side. I expect a lot of pressure to be put on our spine, interesting to see how they react. Our forward pack can match it with any team. Big question mark over our ability to score points. It should be a good game but its either going to be a close one or a one-sided dominated match. Hopefully we can get the win

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the Voldemorts give us a fair rub of the green anything can happen.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Manly look to want to play a high tempo game against us and try and blow us off the park with players in motion and speed. DCE and Walker will play both sides and that could be troublesome for our defence trying to follow them around. Parcell off the bench could also cause a few problems.

On the other hand Manly could wear themselves down fairly quickly and if we can hold the ball and get a few back to back sets we could roll straight through them and pick up some quick points.

Being the first game of the year, i think there will be plenty of chances for both sides to take advantage of in attack. So imo, i think the team that has got there defence in better shape will walk away with points.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Manly look to want to play a high tempo game against us and try and blow us off the park with players in motion and speed. DCE and Walker will play both sides and that could be troublesome for our defence trying to follow them around. Parcell off the bench could also cause a few problems.

On the other hand Manly could wear themselves down fairly quickly and if we can hold the ball and get a few back to back sets we could roll straight through them and pick up some quick points.

Being the first game of the year, i think there will be plenty of chances for both sides to take advantage of in attack. So imo, i think the team that has got there defence in better shape will walk away with points.
We have the better shape defence ;)

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
From memory we haven't won the first game of the year for a couple of years have we?

Maybe it's my memory that is wrong?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From memory we haven't won the first game of the year for a couple of years have we?

Maybe it's my memory that is wrong?
Yeah i think it was 2012 when we won last won our first game.

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just dont feel confident.either we win by a few or DCE will carve us up the middle.manly will either take a few games to gel or they'll click straight away.i remember our side in 09 was similar with all the new signings but we had a great year finishing equal 1st with the dragons.
lets hope our team is as fit as they say they are

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Uhhhhh Ch9 7:30PM (Live) / Foxtel 8PM (Live)???

Or are they taking into account 30 minutes of crap from Ch9 before kick off.?

Manly's issue is so much change and a team that aren't used to playing together. It'll either work well, or fail completely for a few rounds.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will be good to see Reynolds get in Dylan Walkers face and put him off his game.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This should be an interesting game. Lots to consider here; the fact we have not won a first round game for a few years, we are playing at Brookvale beach; we have Gerard Sutton as our referee; we are missing a few players; Manly have purchased a pretty formidable side and a lot of pundits give us not much of a chance. We will be watching Fox; at least we won't have to put up with the dribbling words of Rabbits and the constant droning on of Gould. Win/ win.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
I'm expecting it to be a really close game this week but I am keen to see how well we are going to adapt to the new interchange rules.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm really keen to see the football kick off. Our squad hasn't seen massive changes aside from the halves. Hopefully the fact that both seem to be running halves will freshen up the way we approach attack. It worries me that maybe both took their direction from Hodkinson. But if we focus on running and get our support play right we'll go a long way towards dominating. I can see us reverting to a similar playing style to 2012 where we relied on two 5/8's. With the exception of having a less explosive fullback I think that Mbye has better potential than Keating did, Lichaa has more of a running game than Ennis did and our forwards should have a better idea of what to expect from him this year.

It's hard to predict what manly will deliver given that their team had a big shake up and Barrrett hasn't coached at this level. On paper they look pretty strong. If they're able to gel they may give us s tough time. And the fact that Barrett has plenty of experience as an origin assistant may help b them to prepare well, but I think we've definitely got the edge.

Whoever wins this Friday, it's going to be nice to have football to watch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.