Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Gold Coast Titans half-back Scott Prince fails to finish training due to injury

By Todd Balym
March 23, 2009

Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince has sent a scare through the Titans camp, limping off the training paddock with an apparent hamstring injury.

The champion half-back failed to finish the Titans' training session after leaving the field clutching his hamstring.

Titans coach John Cartwright said he didn't know exactly what had happened to his playmaker.

"I don't really know to be honest with you," Cartwright said after training.

"He is a little bit sore, it is just precautionary hopefully at this stage.

Prince is a crucial component of the Titans and his fitness will be vital against NRL ladder leaders the Bulldogs on Friday night.

The Gold Coast have won just two of 10 games without Prince since the club started in 2007.

While they have yet to reach the finals, their performances are drastically better when Prince is wearing the No.7 jumper with a 47 per cent winning record.

Complicating matters for the Titans is the fact their 'insurance policy', half-back Brad Davis, was ruled out for a month just last week with a rib cartilage injury.

Davis starred in both of the Titans' wins without Prince last year, although one of those victories was against a Melbourne side missing their host of State of Origin stars.

Gold Coast football manager Scott Clark confirmed there were concerns over Prince, with the 29-year-old to be given until Thursday to prove his fitness ahead of the Bulldogs game.

"He is a bit of a professional Princey and as soon as he felt something he went straight into the physio's room," he said.

"Hopefully it won't be too severe. At this stage he is not ruled out.

"We are very hopeful he will still be right to play.

"He has to train on Thursday morning at our last session for him to play."

If Prince is ruled out it would force a massive reshuffle of the Titans' lineup and could force former Dally M winner Preston Campbell into half-back for the first time since 2006.

Campbell has played almost all of his Titans football at full-back, but with William Zillman scoring twice in two games off the bench, Cartwright could opt to put the crafty 31-year-old back in the No. 7 jumper and promote Zillman to the starting custodian role.

Meanwhile, former Queensland winger Chris Walker is on the verge of a NRL recall after two solid performances for Ipswich in the Queensland Cup.

Cartwright confirmed the 29-year-old, on the comeback trail from successive Achilles tendon surgeries, is in the selection spotlight after young winger Jordan Atkins struggled in last Saturday's loss to St George Illawarra.

"He is (under consideration). There are a few that are doing well on the flanks," said Cartwright.

"I have to sit down with the coaches and watch all the vision from the weekend and we will come up with a side for the Bulldogs.

"I have a few changes in my head but I want to run them by the other guys."

AAP

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
who cares since weve lost the points :(

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Prince rated 50-50 chance

RESILIENT Titans skipper Scott Prince is rated a 50-50 chance of lining up against the Bulldogs on Friday after scans cleared him of major hamstring damage.
Despite fears he could be sidelined for a month, Gold Coast football manager Scott Clark yesterday confirmed the club's star halfback may bounce back for the Skilled Park blockbuster.

"The scans didn't show much damage at all, there is just a slight twinge," said Clark. "But he has got to feel right to play because he doesn't want to risk further damage. The good thing we know is that he doesn't feel too bad.

"If he does play, he will be playing with the 100 per cent confidence that he is not going to do any further damage to the hamstring."

Prince failed to train with the rest of his teammates yesterday but in a positive sign, he h ad a light session in the gym on an exercise bike. The Queensland and Australian playmaker was last night hopeful he would be right to play.

"Depending on a few exercises I have to do pain free, we will make a call on Thursday," said Prince. "With the game, the travel and then going out to do some skills, it just tightened up. But fingers crossed, hopefully it will all go well."

In Prince's absence yesterday, Preston Campbell trained strongly at halfback. Campbell will wear the No.7 against the Bulldogs if Prince is ruled out, with William Zillman moving to fullback and Shannon Walker being called on to the interchange bench.

"I have been a bit reluctant to move Preston because he has been doing such a good job at fullback," said coach John Cartwright. "But we have got young Zillman, who is ready to play 80 minutes. It is an opportunity for Presto, I think he is looking forward to it.

"You don't look at replacing players like Prince because you can't replace them. It is a responsibility of everyone to go out there and assist the side."

Prop Michael Henderson has been named for his return from pre-season leg surgery to start in the front row, replacing Matt White.

Titan-turned-Bulldog Michael Hodgson was not named to take on his former teammates, despite recovering from a hamstring strain.

Dragons under-20s player Ken Edwards will face the judiciary for an alleged biting incident against the Titans on Saturday.

SOURCE: DT

Status
Not open for further replies.