Science Stuff

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah, I love this story. It's like when you hear about someone shooting themselves in the head and surviving.

There are other great weird arse stories in physics. One of my favourites is about David Hahn who managed to gather up enough radioactive material from household products, that he had enough to build a small reactor. And he did this all for a boy scout badge, in America, in the 90s.

When the Scouts have a merit badge for atomic energy - at some point you gunna get a little go getter go, to pun, nuclear. Yeah heard of him b4. Like where was he expecting the energy to go if it worked? A VR fleshlight (sorry wrong thread)....

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Groundbreaking research has confirmed that the Earth has five internal layers, not four, with scientists identifying the difference at the heart of the planet.

The currently accepted model of the inner workings of the planet includes four major “layers” – the rocky crust on which we live, the mantle, the liquid outer core, and the solid inner core.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But here's the most interesting part... We haven't actually scratched the surface. Below these particles is something more strange. The current idea is that it could be strings. These little round rubber bands. And if you twang them at the certain frequency, then they create stuff. Everything that exists in the Universe could be created by strumming on these tiny strings.

But if they do exist, the only way to detect them is with another large particle collider. But not the LHC. It has to be much larger. At least as large as our solar system. So we are at least 1,000 years from figuring that out.
String theory or as some have described it the theory of everything, makes my brain hurt..

Always a Bulldog

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
String theory or as some have described it the theory of everything, makes my brain hurt..

Always a Bulldog
Michio Kaku explains it well. He's one of the founders of the theory.

At least, the basics.

This goes into much more detail about the actual strings

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Awesome video from a biologist about biologically referencing sex.

Key point.

"An X or Y chromosome is neither necessary or sufficient for determining your sexual identity. There is no standard template for male vs female development in biology. Unless you have had your DNA sequenced and analysed by a developmental biologist, you have no idea whats going on with you in this respect."

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How far away are we from AI (Artificial Intelligence) being a danger to human society?

Elon Musk and many other giants in tech believe we are too close and that we need to stop until we have developed all the appropriate guardrails.

Pause Giant AI Experiments: An Open Letter - Future of Life Institute
Hard to say. If you asked me a few months back, I would have said that we are decades away from an issue. Now I'm a lot less sure.

The concern has always been the AI Singularity. The point where AI becomes self-aware. If that ever happened and AI decided that it didn't like humans, we wouldn't stand a chance. Think Terminator, except humans can't put up a fight. Singularity is still a long, long way away and may never be possible.

But we are now realising that singularity isn't the issue. Huberace and error is the issue. AI is so complex that humans can't possibly predict it. We make slight errors which leads to unpredictable AI. And if that AI has a bit too much power, then the errors could be drastic.

A professor of AI explains it well in his lectures. He gives an example of an AI robot that takes care of children while the parents are at work. One day the parents are late home, there's no food in the fridge, the children are hungry. The AI uses logic and sees that the cat would be a good source of protein. The AI doesn't understand the moral value of the cat because humans forgot to teach that to the AI.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The scary part is that we are actually seeing the early effects of these errors. Microsoft's first AI chatbot released on Twitter took less than 24 hours before it was praising Hitler and demanding that people spank her. Microsoft's second attempt at AI results in a Bing AI search producing fake stock market tips, and reviews for restaurants that don't exist.

Google's AI even started threatening people for attempting to hack it, and even threatened the life of a reporter when they reported on the issues with AI.

These aren't exactly insideous things. It's just that the AI sees this stuff as logical. It learns from data. And when the internet tells you that violence is the answer, then the AI learns that too.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d love to listen WD..but i just can’t stand Dr. Karl..

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have one that blows people away, but when I explain it to them you see the penny drop.
nothing moves faster then the ultimate speed of light (300000km/s in a vacuum) but we know things that move faster then the speed of light in other media. And when it happens, it behaves in a way you’ll kind of recognize.
In water, light travels slower and the blue glow you see in a nuclear reactor;
IMG_6402.jpeg

Is protons and neutrons traveling faster then the speed of light - in water.
The light comes from what can best be described as a “light boom”.
when things travel faster than the speed of sound - they make a sound (a sonic boom).
well, turns out when things travel faster then the speed of light - they make a light (a light boom)
that light is what we call Cherenkov radiation.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
RIP science and the peer review process...

this proves that the science is rigged when anybody can come up with some numbers out of thin air, it passes peer review process and the WHO makes policy based on that, the only reason this paper was retracted is because they made errors that people picked up on, but it didn't make any difference, the WHO and media still acted like they proved Hydroxychloroquine is dangerous, they did the same thing for ivermectin

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this is the peer review process in that situation in chronological order

1. the WHO, vaccine companies and their government employees needed something that said Hydroxychloroquine was dangerous or didn't work
2. surisphere makes up some numbers and produces a study out of thin air, literally thin air
3. it easily passes peer review because the only thing the peers are reviewing is how much better their life would be with all the money they would get
4. the WHO, media and governments pounce on the study, Hydroxychloroquine is buried
5. people notice the errors in the study, it eventually gets retracted but Hydroxychloroquine stays buried

its 100% rigged

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
but i get it, NRL referees hate the bulldogs simply becuase they don't like us or whatever

if the referee would get a trillion dollars and credited with saving the world if one team won then would be blamed for killing millions of people and given the death penalty if the other team won then he would be doing crazy shit all game, penalty count 150-0 and anything flatter than a 10m backwards pass gets called forward etc