Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sandra Sully leads criticism of Channel 9’s Grand Final commentary

Jai Bednall, news.com.au
October 3, 2016 4:55pm

CHANNEL 10 journalist Sandra Sully led a wave of criticism over Channel 9’s commentary during the NRL Grand Final, as the broadcaster was slammed for its perceived pro-Cronulla bias.

The coverage started with an unfortunate gaffe made by legendary lead man Ray Warren, who slipped up while noting how unfamiliar some Melbourne Storm players were with ANZ Stadium.

“Four of these players have never played on ANZ Stadium,” said Warren, as the Storm players ran through the banner. “In fact, Melbourne haven’t played here since round 10, 214.”

That wasn’t a typo. He said two hundred and fourteen.

But the main issue Sully — and many other, largely Melbourne-based viewers — had with the call was the Nine team’s apparent support for the Sharks.

Sully exploded on Twitter entering the halftime break, after an opening 40 minutes in which the drought breakers dominated possession and built an 8-0 lead.

Could the #Channel9 commentators be any more against@storm #nrl

I get they want the fairytale but really??

— Sandra Sully (@Sandra_Sully) October 2, 2016

Did Joey just say "Its for us to lose"? #NRLGF

Look I get the #NRLGF fairytale but I want unbiased commentary & we are not getting that right now - whoever wins!

Earlier, fellow Ten presenter Stephen Quartermain had tempted fate by highlighting his excitement about hearing an unbiased call.

But it wasn’t to be as some members of the Nine team — which also features NSW stalwarts Phil Gould, Peter Sterling, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Queenslander Wally Lewis — struggled to contain their excitement during the Sharks’ fairytale performance.

Others felt there was a subdued reaction during the Storms’ second half comeback, particularly after Will Chambers scored to put Melbourne in front.

But there’s no doubt the Sharks deserved every bit of praise they received after Andrew Fifita crashed over for the go-ahead try before Paul Gallen’s men held on for a 14-12 win.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Completely agree with her..

It was a Sharks fapfest from start to finish. I thought Gould was going to kick the bucket when Storm hit the front.

Then again can we expect anything better from (what is appearing to slowly become) a scripted game rather than a sport.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I was rooting for the Sharks and didn't notice anything except and haunting silence when Melbourne scored, but that was down to the crowd being mainly Cronulla. I think everyone here has to have a teaspoon of cement.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
rabs is always getting shit wrong nowadays. so nothing new there.

as for the call, i think they were genuinely excited for sharks to win their maiden premiership and as fans of the game in general. everyone at the bbq i was at was cheering for them and the fact it was a close game. sometimes you just get caught up in the moment.

move on sandra.

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is painful listening to nines coverage after watching fox all year - they talk too much shit and don't actually call the game - Rabs is bordering on being declared senile

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i agree with the sandra sully tbh, channel 9 was 100% behind the sharks and there was different levels of enthusiasm for melbourne tries which they said were totally against the run of play, but the fifita try was against the run of play and they failed to mention that

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i agree with the sandra sully tbh, channel 9 was 100% behind the sharks and there was different levels of enthusiasm for melbourne tries which they said were totally against the run of play, but the fifita try was against the run of play and they failed to mention that
Look I will be honest and say that I did not bother watching the game but I can only hazard a guess that it was another major wankfest over the sentimental favourite, just like 2014.Rabs was probably falling over himself ( more than usual) with colourful tributes and glowing reports about everything that Cronulla did. Melbourne would have been treated much like we were, an afterthought, just " the other side" playing in the big one. One thing I did read about and hear about was the Ennis incident in the GF where he patted Smith on the back and I am sure said 'bad luck' that Cameron had spilled the ball.

Deja vu of 2014 where he did something very similar and was called a grub when he was wearing our colours but lauded as a hero this time around. Go figure.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h/news-story/27abe705bab4def3d8ab6b42e37fbe51

I had the misfortune of seeing the Telecrap today: it was just as sickening as the pre game view in the Sunday Telecrap where they had a million wrap around pages " Special sharks edition" and the one yesterday. Must say I was impressed by the multitude of brand spanking new jumpers complete with Southern Radiology sponsorship adorning the fans as picture after picture on page after page gave homage to their win. Then I see the article where the author sadly recounts the unfairness regarding the difficulty the Sharks will have in retaining their squad with no less than 16 off contract next year. That's what happens when you buy a team.

Actually saw a sharks car flag at the twin servos on the Pacific Highway, the only one that I have seen in the past oh, twenty odd years. Celebrate while you can as the NRL is already on the lookout for its 2017 feel good story

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair cronulla has 60-40 possession for the first half. Melbourne got smothered until around 60 minutes and then the commentary was pretty even. Rabs is pretty much senile at this point.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't watch anything but the last 10 minutes, but the commentators are bias in most calls so it wouldn't be shocking.

We know they want to pump up the best story during games, but someone really needs to have a quite word with them and let them know it tends to annoy fans of the non-fairytale side to the point that you want to turn the sound off rather than hear them do that the whole game.

To be fair to Rabs, the 214 slip up is understandable, he remembers those good old days of his youth far better than anything thats happened in the last thousand or so years.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Everyone in the media are hypocrites and only notice shit like this when it effects them. I didn't see a single article or sob story regarding the 2014 GF. That had to be one of the biggest joke coverage I've ever seen in my life.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Umm hello everyone... this is a channel 10 employee taking shots at channel 9... nothing out of the ordinary here!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know it's already been mentioned
But I'm still furious
I was at the game in 2014

It was a Souths wank fest at the game and the commentary from what I have heard was just as bad

Storm fans have every right to complain as did we in 2014

And let's be fair

It was a cowboy wank fest last year also

Let's not for get roosters and SBW wank fest when roosters won

Any wonder so many think the NRL is rigged

Wahesh

Reaction score
I know it's already been mentioned
But I'm still furious
I was at the game in 2014

It was a Souths wank fest at the game and the commentary from what I have heard was just as bad

Storm fans have every right to complain as did we in 2014

And let's be fair

It was a cowboy wank fest last year also

Let's not for get roosters and SBW wank fest when roosters won

Any wonder so many think the NRL is rigged
What about the Bulldogs wank fest in 2012? Oh yes, we've been there too ;)

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What about the Bulldogs wank fest in 2012? Oh yes, we've been there too ;)
I was at that game
Didn't feel like a bulldog wank fest at the game

Felt like a storm wank fest with their big banner they ran through and all the billy slater pictures everywhere

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing like 2014..who played the Rabbitohs? Oh that's right the Doggies..gee you wouldn't known.. I gave it to Ken Suthcliffe on Twitter of how bias it was..especially with that dumb bell.. He said it was a celebration of Rugby League history.. I said if it was a celebration of Rugby League history why did Crowe say the bell would only ring if Souths won.. What a jerk..

Status
Not open for further replies.