rugby league week - recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler says that with so many terrific younger players at the club now reaching star status and having to be paid accordingly, it is more about retention than recruitment for the Bulldogs under the confines of the salary cap.
And the Bulldogs couldn’t hold on to hooker Damien Cook after he starred as a replacement for the injured Michael Lichaa towards the end of last season. South Sydney snatched Cook away.
But Hasler says he would rather have the great players already at the club than have to go out and try to sign a bunch of them.
“A lot of these players have become marquee players, so you get to that stage where your recruitment becomes retaining,” Hasler says.
“You can’t deny the merit of players like Josh Jackson, David Klemmer and Moses Mbye.
“They have risen and come through the fold and now we’re at that retaining stage rather than recruitment, which is a good thing.”

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/hasle...39431269431449&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

yearofthedog

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone under estimates des. i think we will suprise most people next year

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is it me? Am I the only one that thinks Des is playing Moneyball with our roster??? Retaining and rewarding our up and coming talent as he should, while recruiting others fairly cheaply based on specific needs?

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is it me? Am I the only one that thinks Des is playing Moneyball with our roster??? Retaining and rewarding our up and coming talent as he should, while recruiting others fairly cheaply based on specific needs?
agree 100%

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Everyone under estimates des. i think we will suprise most people next year
lets forget about the roster for a minute. whats done is done. if des is to really prove to himself, the players and the fans then his coaching style needs to change. if not, then clubs like raiders, warriors, sharks and even manly to a certain extent could easily overtake us on the ladder coz imo theyre all on the way up.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
One thing is for certain! We need changes in both our playing style and in roster for this to happen. Otherwise we will finish further back next year. I don't know if the newer players are the answer but am happy to see some fresh faces in the team. My main concern is that one of them isn't a organising half back as I see that as our main weakness but they just don't grow on trees. Maybe Mbye can become the star we need. We will see

Malla

Reaction score
Des is doing the right thing. We all sit back on our arm chairs and criticize him but clearly he is about winning and retention. Letting Pritchard, Lafai, Cook, Ennis etc go - this will help us retain players like Mbye (already done), Jackson, Klemmer and even Abbey when he turns into a superstar. We are quick to snap because we have an emotional attachment to these players, but at the end of the day we would be more spewing if we lost someone like Klemmer over Pritchard.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nope, it's not just you,
I also agree that is what Des is doing,

Whether or not it pans out to achieve our next premiership remains to be seen,

But no doubt he is doing what he is doing for long term stability,
It's clear that has been his goal since letting Ennis go, and recruiting lichaa,

It's clear what des is doing,
And it needs to be done, it's just a shame we didn't get a premiership last few years with the old guys,

I'm with des and his direction,

Malla

Reaction score
Nope, it's not just you,
I also agree that is what Des is doing,

Whether or not it pans out to achieve our next premiership remains to be seen,

But no doubt he is doing what he is doing for long term stability,
It's clear that has been his goal since letting Ennis go, and recruiting lichaa,

It's clear what des is doing,
And it needs to be done, it's just a shame we didn't get a premiership last few years with the old guys,

I'm with des and his direction,
That's right man - we had our success with the old roster, unfortunately just couldn't get it done. The thing people will appreciate about Des when we eventually get to winning that premiership is how Des has sustained our success while rebuilding at the same time - you know?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des is becoming more stubborn and deluded,his recruitment has been rubbish

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So many people bagging Dessie.So who would you have as coach. Trent I've done nothing Barrett? Maybe you want Mal, I have a team of immortals, Meninga?
Easy up. Sammy got rewarded for yet another solid safe year, of which he worked the deal himself. Smart.
Tim played like shit this season. Deal with it.
Yes I hate this whole trade any one at any time too. It's bullshit and should stop. But if you have a look at Manly when Des was there they didn't buy many players anyway. So that's what he is doing here. Building a strong future for the club.
So easy up unless you know of a far better coach that has record like Des. We played like shit in 2014 and still got there. The players need to aim up and take the cup and own it. Not Des

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE]“A lot of these players have become marquee players, so you get to that stage where your recruitment becomes retaining,” Hasler says.
“You can’t deny the merit of players like Josh Jackson, David Klemmer and Moses Mbye.
[/QUOTE]

A lot of these players have become marquee players Hasler said. And, you can’t deny the merit of players like Josh Jackson, David Klemmer and Moses Mbye.

As I see it Jackson, Klemmer and Mbye are just three of our players, so who are the rest of the marquee players in our seventeen man squad Des?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
[QUOTE]“A lot of these players have become marquee players, so you get to that stage where your recruitment becomes retaining,” Hasler says.
A lot of these players have become marquee players Hasler said. And, you can’t deny the merit of players like Josh Jackson, David Klemmer and Moses Mbye.

As I see it Jackson, Klemmer and Mbye are just three of our players, so who are the rest of the marquee players in our seventeen man squad Des?[/QUOTE]

EASTWOOD, LANE ( a young gun in the making) and RONA are all of contract at the end of 2016!!!

It's going to take some serious coin to hold onto Rona especially if he has a similar season to last.
Lane is just going to get better with more game time, he shear size is sure to get him noticed by rival clubs and
Eastwood is just a beast in no uncertain terms!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

hulk hogan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So many people bagging Dessie.So who would you have as coach. Trent I've done nothing Barrett? Maybe you want Mal, I have a team of immortals, Meninga?
Easy up. Sammy got rewarded for yet another solid safe year, of which he worked the deal himself. Smart.
Tim played like shit this season. Deal with it.
Yes I hate this whole trade any one at any time too. It's bullshit and should stop. But if you have a look at Manly when Des was there they didn't buy many players anyway. So that's what he is doing here. Building a strong future for the club.
So easy up unless you know of a far better coach that has record like Des. We played like shit in 2014 and still got there. The players need to aim up and take the cup and own it. Not Des
100% agree these people on here who think it's easy to win a comp
Just cause we have des reality Tim is rubbish deal with it hoppa came back to parra the worse team in the Comp and want him to be In Good form hoppa will be great for us

Status
Not open for further replies.