News Rugby League legend Wally Lewis diagnosed with probable CTE

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wally Lewis has revealed he has been diagnosed with probable chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) – describing his shock after seeing scans of his brain that even made his doctor tear up.

The rugby league legend – dubbed 'the King' – recently received the diagnosis after being concerned about memory loss for some time.

While comparing a recent scan of his head with previous scans, Lewis said he was "gobsmacked" by what he and his doctor saw.

"We had a look at the X-rays (scans), and I was expecting to see this just tiny little mark," he told ABC Radio Brisbane.

"I've had concussions before, earlier in my career, where a doctor would just say, 'look here's the spot here' and it would be a little bit different to the one that we've just recently had.

"I had the first one (scan) put up and the second one flashed up a couple of seconds later and it was enormously different. I just looked at it and could not believe the difference."
Lewis said his doctor had tears in her eyes while looking at the scan of his head.

"She just said, 'I don't think I've seen one like this' and just kept talking and saying that there had been other ones of concern," he said.

"But she just said, 'we're not here to be negative, we're going to be positive, and we will go on from here and deal with it in the best way that we can'."

Lewis indicated memory loss had been the biggest symptom he had encountered, as well as issues with headaches.

He will soon head back to Sydney to discuss his future plans and options with his doctor.

Lewis said he had no regrets about his NRL career in the wake of his diagnosis, but suggested he may have approached the way he played the game "a little bit differently".

"I didn't go in there to pick up the concussions. Nor did I think about evading them," he said.
"I was playing footy for the love of the sport. It really has been my life. And again, I'm not seeking sympathy.

"It's just something that I don't think the game should be blamed (for).

"If there were any mistakes made, it was perhaps the way that I positioned my head – and that was incorrectly when trying to affect a tackle."

Dementia Australia thanks Lewis for sharing story
According to Dementia Australia, CTE is a form of dementia that comes after repeated concussions or head injuries.

The charity warned the impact it could have on someone's brain function over time could interfere with their "usual functioning or working life".

Dementia Australia chief executive Maree McCabe thanked Lewis for sharing his story.

"When high profile people like Wally share their story, it helps everyone impacted or going through a similar experience to know they are not alone," she said.
"Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is preventable.

"It can be avoided or minimised by preventing head injuries and managing head injuries and concussions effectively by following evidence-based, best practice guidelines."

During his career, Lewis played for the Queensland Maroons as well as the Brisbane Broncos.

Sauce

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i think head trauma is one of the causes of epilepsy as well, which Lewis has. I remember him saving a seizure on live TV many years ago (Wally reads the sport on 9 news in Brisbane).

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Devastating. It’s becoming very common with these league greats unfortunately

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was never ever a fan of Wally but geeze, I feel for him in relation to this diagnosis.

Doing something that you had talent for and doing it in the way guys of the past played...no immediate thought for their wellbeing, just going out and giving it everything week in week out..is it really worth it?

Hope that whatever time he has left before brain function declines to a level that fully impacts his quality of life is good. Life expectancy is not great and a raft of things can get them in the end.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what Steve Folks died of.
It won't be long till headgear will be mandatory for all players.
(As a coach of juniors I always insisted on headgear.)

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Terrible news, unfortunately as time goes by there will be more and more.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It won't be long till headgear will be mandatory for all players.
(As a coach of juniors I always insisted on headgear.)
Some research has suggested, headgear is worse as the brain has less room to move.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's sad to hear. The good news is they're aware of it and that will hopefully help with treatment. I wish him and his family the best moving forward..

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now we know why the HIA is being used.

Whether they are being over cautious, it's best for the players.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, headgear can cause worse concussions.
No it dosent.
Try this simple experiment, bang your head against the wall, now put a folded-up tea towel between your head and the wall...
That small amount of padding can mean the difference between a concussion and/or a gashed head, however, it still all depends on how hard you hit your head and even the best head gear can be ineffective but its better than nothing.
I coached for twenty-plus years from minis to seniors at club and school level and attended numerous seminars on player safety, OH&S and sports injury etc so I know what I'm talking about.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Recent research has suggested that headgear not only doesn’t prevent concussions, but it may also give players a false sense of security and therefore increase their risk of concussion.