News Rugby league eye test.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's an asset to our attack. If he doesn't complete every tackle it's not the end of the world as long as he slows their momentum to some extent. You can work around a defender that isn't supreme, halves have traditionally been notoriously average defenders for years in league. It's a trade off if they can drastically improve the attack.

This is where statistics articles piss me off. Statistics aren't at all forgiving and they only tell a portion of the story.
Thank you.

Anyway, I think I’m done with this place.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Been saying it for years to my mate who's an Eels supporter that Mahoney isn't an 80 minute player. He should be playing a max of 60 minutes a game.
I agree he probably needs a spell at times throughout the game.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Start Nu Brown at 9 & bring Mahoney on after 20 minutes, leaving him on at 9 for the final 60 minutes. Then for the last 20 minutes Nu Brown can play at lock. It's what the Storm did with Brandon Smith & Harry Grant in 2021.

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s a misleading stat, Reed leads the defensive line, he’s making a lot of tackles under fatigue, hes trying to put on big shots to inspire his team, practically doing everything he can to will his side to victory…. That comes with some missed tackles, wouldn’t swap him for anyone.
100%

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sad but true.
Honestly Wayne deserves all the credit, don't think any other coach gets those performances out of them. Look at Jarrod Wallace for example, the blokes the size of cow and he's coming on ball playing like a half lol. Guarantee we wouldn't get from him if we signed him.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Honestly Wayne deserves all the credit, don't think any other coach gets those performances out of them. Look at Jarrod Wallace for example, the blokes the size of cow and he's coming on ball playing like a half lol. Guarantee we wouldn't get from him if we signed him.
Would love to know why our fuckwit board/admin knocked him back twice....

Dumbest ***** in the history of league

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bennett is a great coach/man manager no doubt and will go down as the GOAT but he isn’t out on the field doing the hard yards, that pack is almost the perfect balance of experience and youth and no million dollar duds that’s the advantage of starting from scratch he didn’t inherit someone else’s mistakes. And he set the standard for the club and players before they played a game.

Last edited:

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pack of rejects, bet most of our fans would've complained if we signed the Dolphins forwards at the time :tearsofjoy:
Pack of rejects !? Your kidding aren’t you.

Bromich Brothers and Kaufasi all experienced internationals and Tommy Gilbert was destined for State of Origin. Wallace has played State of Origin so had some ability as well even though his form had dropped.

Yeah the rest were fringe FG’s when they arrived but damn they had some experience to help them.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These Rugby League eye test articles are usually a complete wank. This is another one..

Reed misses a bunch of tackles. Some of them are bad misses. But most of them are from him rushing up to put a shot on and someone else completes the tackle.. As someone else pointed out, other hookers like Grant, Api etc are way up there for missed tackles too..

He plays with great heart and intensity and has improved our team. I'm less worried about his defence than I am with him overplaying his hand in attack sometimes in the attacking 20.. All in all he's been a good signing.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Who replaces him though? We don’t even have a solid 14. Nu was injured and ain’t flash when fit. The Grub thing unsurprisingly backfired, we’ve got at least two other wet behind the ears spine players so Reed is overworked. Apart from his work rate his chatter and efforts in trying to lift the team are key. Geez we’re hard markers, we’re better off with him overall than not.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Grub thing unsurprisingly backfired
Rubbish. Reynolds played a role in getting Flanagan out and easing Oloapu in; had some decent touches early on and some lesser ones as it went on.
That role is now over and since then he's been 18th man, which will become a reggies spot (probably back to the bench down there, or limited minutes), and eventually (next year) he'll probably run the water.
Nothing backfired. Worked as expected. A lot of positives to come from it. Mission complete.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Been saying it for years to my mate who's an Eels supporter that Mahoney isn't an 80 minute player. He should be playing a max of 60 minutes a game.
Geez. Now we're trying to "fix" Reed Mahoney.
For the second half of '23, we need to fix fullback and forwards - in that order.
That's it.
The rest is wait and see what develops with a view to tweaking/fixing in pre-season '24.

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would help if he had some fit forwards to help him out.... he isn't that big and has blokes 115kg running at him for 80 minutes. Should we just ignore the fact that he has most 40/20s in the nrl?
Exactly we have a whole heap of shirt grabbers in this team

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Rubbish. Reynolds played a role in getting Flanagan out and easing Oloapu in; had some decent touches early on and some lesser ones as it went on.
That role is now over and since then he's been 18th man, which will become a reggies spot (probably back to the bench down there, or limited minutes), and eventually (next year) he'll probably run the water.
Nothing backfired. Worked as expected. A lot of positives to come from it. Mission complete.
Nice 20/20 hindsight :tearsofjoy:.

You’re saying it was a perfectly executed plan? That the plan was always for Grub to displace Flanagan? Please. If that’s true why wasn’t he started from Round 1? He was only brought into that equation when things were going badly with Flanagan at 7. If Grub was supposed to ‘ease Karl in’ - why did him starting at 6 last two games? There was no timeframe on ‘easing in’ but it was clear Grub starting at 6 was failing too. Too many dumb plays and giving away too many penalties.

I credit Ciro for trying things but it wasn’t some grand plan. Grub was signed mostly for his ‘passion’ - which got him fined for gobbing off to the referee against The Steelers. Of course he’ll run the water next year, he only got a one year deal and partially for the ‘homecoming’ PR which you’ll notice stopped pretty early on too. He doesn’t belong near a 2023 Top 30.