Official Round 9 - Bulldogs vs Dragons Game Day Thread

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When you think about it, even the games we lost we didn't play that badly, if we had a full roster and no Flanagan those results might have been a lot closer...
Yeh agree. If we can consistently complete at >80% & >50% possession (& a full roster) in most games we will win well.
We won today with a smashed roster, <50% possession & completing <80%. How awesome & amazing was that. If I was Griffen and the Dragons team I would be very very worried.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just finished watching the replay. In interesting game theory Cronk suggested that Burton would have been better off going for the field goal. Do we think teams will be willing to go up by 3?
Only issue is the risk of a 7 tackle set and stopping the clock
Or you just kick it dead like Burton did lol. Lot to learn that boy, natural talent no doubt...but whenever he has to long to think he takes the worst options.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
I feel that one of the big points from today's game was the performance of Mahoney. In recent games he has tried to take on the role of play maker and in many cases stopped the ball from getting into the hands of Burton/Reynolds or even Olalaupu........this has stilted our attck.

Today he seemed more at ease in just playing a natural dummy half role and let the game look after itself. He has always put in the effort and 100% but sometimes he has just tried too hard. Today was a pleasure to watch the ball clear the ruck a little more quickly and our game was a bit more up tempo.....

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sloan got shown by Averillo not once but twice. I thought he would mow him down once Averillo stepped back on the inside. A good fullback would've saved both those tries. Shows why Griffin left him in reserve grade or maybe he's trying to get Griffin sacked lol...

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sloan got shown by Averillo not once but twice. I thought he would mow him down once Averillo stepped back on the inside. A good fullback would've saved both those tries. Shows why Griffin left him in reserve grade or maybe he's trying to get Griffin sacked lol...
I was thinking alike. However I don’t think its appreciated how quick Averillo actually is. I’m keen to see him get more early ball again.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel that one of the big points from today's game was the performance of Mahoney. In recent games he has tried to take on the role of play maker and in many cases stopped the ball from getting into the hands of Burton/Reynolds or even Olalaupu........this has stilted our attck.

Today he seemed more at ease in just playing a natural dummy half role and let the game look after itself. He has always put in the effort and 100% but sometimes he has just tried too hard. Today was a pleasure to watch the ball clear the ruck a little more quickly and our game was a bit more up tempo.....
Mahoney is definitely my favourite player, gives 100% and never stops trying and totally agree he didn't have to play HB as well so he killed it at 9 yesterday!!!

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the game yesterday. So many dogs supporters there was awesome atmosphere!!!

Is anyone noticing Reed Mahoney taking a little step back but having a more solid controlled game ? Feel like he has been told go back to basics for now and it’s working. No errors in his game

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He has definitely simplified his game for now which was needed. Was trying way too hard in the early games

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will such a dangerous team when we are full strength. The building blocks are there right now. If we can get into the finals somehow and be full strength…. Look out

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I agree as Cuck Jnr has to improve his defence by 90% to be considered a shirt grabber.

Puffs up his stats by being the 3rd man in.
8 missed tackles for the Cuck. Not even his idol Ciraldo can get him playing well LOL

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now we know the trick with Burns, he needs to play with one leg. Amazing game, interchange with Averillo when setting up both tries.
Reynolds did not have any tries assist but he took the line on & commited the defense before any inside passes. Forwards were able to make much more ground. Flannagan take not.
Edwards shown today he has much potential. There are lot of young kids that will are going to get better.
Congratulation, Ockenbor & Perham was surprising good.

Only weak point was Alamoti & Casey combination. I do not to be critical to our young players, but I he is struggling in FG. His speed can effect his defense & also his attack he had half chances. He has a great passing game, so can see him developing as a lock forward. Interesting when Kiraz is back whether Burns is dropped. On today's performance it would be hard.
Okunbor had some good hard runs but needs to work a bit on his defence especially locking the ball up, besides that he's improving as a forward!!

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh agree. If we can consistently complete at >80% & >50% possession (& a full roster) in most games we will win well.
We won today with a smashed roster, <50% possession & completing <80%. How awesome & amazing was that. If I was Griffen and the Dragons team I would be very very worried.
"Dare to dream" But with this never say die attitude and a few players returning to the field, we could just manage to creep into the finals...

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Am I right looking at the draw that after Magic Round, we don’t leave Sydney until round 22 when we take our “home game” against the Dolphins to Bundaberg?

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he took the option but just executed poorly
I got this impression, too. I assumed Burto was actually looking for touch from the field of play but the kick had the wrong angle.