OFFICIAL | GAME DAY ROUND 2 TRIAL | Bulldogs vs Sharks | Discussion thread (8pm @ BSG)

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't worry guys, we will magically click in 9 days time. It's only a trial they said,

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because we're plagued by the exact same issues as last season, pretty simple.
And you'll search for those issues in every game no matter what. That's pretty simple also.

Doesn't mean it's right though, does it?

A lot smarter people on here may take you on, and I'm definitely not someone who can comment too much on how the Dogs are going but ...

From memory we averaged 30+ points against us every game last year. Right?

So, I'd say that one of our major concerns from last year was our pitiful defence.

Lost by 6 points against a much higher valued team who were full strength apart from one player.

I don't know about you, but ...

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I said several times I liked our Intent and intensity in defense Kikau was destroying bodies. We also didn’t drop our heads after that east try the Sharks got , I liked Currans performance, Critta will obviously be amazing for us. We will get naturally better once we play a few games and the team is settled.
Don't get me wrong bro i actually love negative feedback cause that's why this forum exists, but we got to give the team some credit somewhere, the whole game can't be taken as everything didn't work and we had zero positives we can take.

I totally will feel that critta being in that side tonight elevated us and to be honest when's the last time we constantly had players forcing errors, hayward, max king, salmon, wilson had some cracker hits. Cameron and Critta definitely has instilled that sort of tackling technique this year was nice to see. Gives me hope we will only get better as the season comes on. Wouldn't surprise me if we come round 1 onwards with a different attacking plan then what we saw tonight. Remember the way we played against melbourne in rd. 2 last year was something ciraldo had down pat in penrith. Clearly we don't have the crop for the whole 17 to replicate that week in week out but i can see where we are heading.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tbh I’m shocked he’s looked this good after 4 years. I was expecting multiple knock ons and for him to just get physically dominated. He’ll be dangerous with more match fitness
I agree he looks somewhat up to standard, just think he's lacking a fair bit in mobility compared to what he was before.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong bro i actually love negative feedback cause that's why this forum exists, but we got to give the team some credit somewhere, the whole game can't be taken as everything didn't work and we had zero positives we can take.

I totally will feel that critta being in that side tonight elevated us and to be honest when's the last time we constantly had players forcing errors, hayward, max king, salmon, wilson had some cracker hits. Cameron and Critta definitely has instilled that sort of tackling technique this year was nice to see. Gives me hope we will only get better as the season comes on. Wouldn't surprise me if we come round 1 onwards with a different attacking plan then what we saw tonight. Remember the way we played against melbourne in rd. 2 last year was something ciraldo had down pat in penrith. Clearly we don't have the crop for the whole 17 to replicate that week in week out but i can see where we are heading.
I came into tonight not wanting to be so critical of the performance, if we were 50% better I might have only said one or two points but that performance was really that bad. I know it’s a trial and it means nothing but it was so worrying.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And you'll search for those issues in every game no matter what. That's pretty simple also.

A lot smarter people on here may take you on, and I'm definitely not someone who can comment too much on how the Dogs are going but ...

So, I'd say that one of our major concerns from last year was our pitiful defence.

Lost by 6 points against a much higher valued team who were full strength apart from one player.

Sharks threw fuck all at us.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree he looks somewhat up to standard, just think he's lacking a fair bit in mobility compared to what he was before.
To his credit he has started to be like a brian too just trying to get those meters, when the season starts and confidence levels start peaking, you watch xerri click into place naturally. Only up from here for him

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ve seen your descent into being fairly spiteful this past offseason and early trial season. You weren’t like this in July of last year.
The July reference is interesting but dont bother elaborating lol also spiteful is fairly overstated unless truth hurts you?
I just call out negatories as I see them..and i don't get what they get out of being this way?
It could not possibly be therapeutic and is more likely harmful to said person(s) mental health :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To his credit he has started to be like a brian too just trying to get those meters, when the season starts and confidence levels start peaking, you watch xerri click into place naturally. Only up from here for him
Maybe

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Last year we had 10-12 players out for a big majority of the season, players were giving up and the culture was toxic with players knowing they were being let go. Comparing us to last year just doesn’t make sense, it was such an outlier . You couldn’t be that bad again even if you were throwing games.
I am comparing us to what a top 10 team should be producing not what the 11th all time worst defensive team produced.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sharks threw fuck all at us.
Maybe because we didn't give them time to throw anything? Years before this we were passengers and allowed teams to have plenty of time to butcher us. This year we can see the line defense and energy to stop the opposite team get that time to decide what they want. Communication is critical and having critta still talking from the sideline shows you how much it means to him to communicate and make the boys talk.

Positives and negatives tonight, however we have time between now and round 1 to review video, train and put our best foot forward.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have played badly, dropped ball, made some bad defensive reads, had not much go forward and we are 6-6. I remember this trial last 2 seasons and it was over before the half. So not too bad so far.
I agree with the whole game. I would have been happy with a 12 to 6 defeat especially in that we bombed a couple of tries and gave the last one to the Sharks.

We will learn from this and thats what trials are for. If we had won all our trials and everyone was praising the team thats when I would be worrying. There are some good signs I reackon and we can see glimpses of what we can potentially be. I can see us scoring some pretty good long distant tries this year.