Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While I agree with the errors ...

I'm not sure I agree on the "rinse and repeat" of last season part.

If we were playing like last season, they would've put 60+ on us as we were that bad defensively.

26 points on us. Not great but ...

Last try was lucky as hell.

First they got a good bounce.

Second should've been better.

I mean, yeah, we need to be better but for me the defensive structure was A LOT better than last year.
We were to an extent okay defensively in the first few games of last season too though until Tigers dropped 20 points in 15 mins. We had mass injuries when we conceded 60 . This is our full strength team in round 1

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t disagree but the effort plays are always going to drop off if you have made a hundred more tackles than the opposition.
Some people don’t seem to realise that when one team completes 41 out of 46 sets and the other team completes 24 out of 43 sets then fatigue might just be a little bit higher for the second team.

We literally gave ourselves no chance in that game.

The Burton fifth tackle penalty summed it up. Until we stop being a dumb side we will be down the bottom.

No one can question the effort yesterday. It was outstanding.

The execution wasn’t

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t disagree but the effort plays are always going to drop off if you have made a hundred more tackles than the opposition.
Which is why there isn’t an excuse for all the penalties and drop balls during that opening 20

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
But you ll pick out Burton in a trial when he was nowhere near our worst, you have your favourites and players you dont like, dont be inconsistent eh
How much money is Wilson on compared to Burton and whose in the spine. I know who we are getting better value for money out of.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But you ll pick out Burton in a trial when he was nowhere near our worst, you have your favourites and players you dont like, dont be inconsistent eh
He wasn’t the worst because he does nothing. He will never the number 1 worst player in our team because he doesn’t touch the ball enough to drop it which visually is the worst stat. He’s a complete shadow, a nothing player. He is the main reason we are last.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From what I saw as an outsider they snatched 2 tries quick.
2 missed goals

So they're definitely capable of putting points on quickly.
I wouldn't be that disappointed....the score flattered Parra.

Next few weeks as they get more in dunce and maybe some fine tuning with positions.

This is potentially a top 8 side no doubt. They're going to trouble a few sides I'm sure.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too many errors shit completions dumb penalties JAC should have been straight off when wounded only positive they hung in defensively we can score when we hold the ball still optimistic about the season ahead oh and parra ain’t no contender

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The forwards mostly one out and flat footed when they get the ball. Mahoney needs to pass flatter and have runners in numbers. So many Parra passes were forward from dummy half but we look pedestrian by comparison. One positive is our defence was def better than last year. How long they can maintain the effort week to week against bigger mobile packs is a worry.
Looking in from the outside I believed CC made few selection errors that led to an overall average performance in attack, as disappointed as I was I agree our defence was very encouraging as it was in the trial against the sharks,
We know success is built on good defence but I believe if good defence isn't rewarded with equivalent good attack then it's all in vain !!!
We can only improve if we play specialized players in their rightful positions specially in the spine,
A utility is good if and when needed but not better than a specialized player,
CC needs to realize this before it is too late !!!

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No way there has just been 7 pages complaining about Wilson of all people

Is it because our obvious problems in the middle and spine have been done to death for the last 6 months?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
4 errors from your winger is unforgivable but if he gets that out of his game he is solid winger that can make line breaks (break down the side when he kicked back in) and can sniff a try
I agree totally.

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We had no ball. Spent so much fuel defending but ended up with a couple of 4 pointers. CC should be judged on defence this season. We don't have all the pieces yet in attack. I thought signs looked good for our D this season

Status
Not open for further replies.