Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we can hang onto the ball and not give away dumb penalties, we conserve more energy, losing momentum and gifting them field position will just tire us out, especially being round one, so ball handling and playing smart is imperative ..

Focus needs to be .. high completion rate, defend as a pack, turn em around by kicking to the corners ..

Our chances to score try’s will come if we first focus on winning the arm wrestle … the more we focus on those first 4 points, the more try’s we’ll score, because it’ll tire Parra out and then frustrate them into mistakes, and they’ll begin gifting us field position .. with our backline and good field position we should pile on points and win ..

Ball Handling
Defence
No dumb penalty’s / 6 again
Smart kicking game

Hope we’ve finally gotten rid of all our serial momentum killers ..
I re watched last seasons opener, we really kicked ourselves in the foot through the kicking game and some options, copped a silly sin bin that wouldn't usually happen but were "in the game" a large part of the match. Not a fan of the style but it is what it is and can work as long as everyones on board and keep their heads up.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I re watched last seasons opener, we really kicked ourselves in the foot through the kicking game and some options, copped a silly sin bin that wouldn't usually happen but were "in the game" a large part of the match. Not a fan of the style but it is what it is and can work as long as everyones on board and keep their heads up.
You’re on point mate, I agree, it’s not pretty, but it’s the way it is at the moment until they build cohesion and confidence ..

So many games last season wasn’t so much that other teams beat us, it was more we actually lost these games ourselves by shooting ourselves in the foot, dumb mistakes, dropped ball, stupid penalties .. giving away momentum at the worst possible times and fatiguing ourselves, simply played dumb footy ..

It might not be exciting, but I’m really hoping to see smarter football this season, stop trying to score of every play and win the arm wrestle first / defence and field position ..

Go out there and focus on high completion/hang onto the ball at all costs ..

Don’t give away dumb penalties and 6 agains ..

Defend and hunt as a pack.

Turn them around with a smart kicking game and tire them out ..

Our chances in attack will come, and we’ll be better prepared to score from them if we’ve firstly won the right through playing smarter footy.

Maybe that’s what most are missing from some of these new recruits Hutch and co. maybe they’re smarter heads and bring a smarter game ..

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just looked up the team that trotted out last season round 1.

It's easy to judge in hindsight but lets do it anyway.

Backs 23 v 24: I reckon Xerri players so it's Taaffe, Xerri, Crichton, Hutchison in & Perham, Averillo, Alamoti, Flanagan out.
Forwards 23 v 24: Faamausili, Preston, Salmon in and Sutton, RFM, Brown out.
Bench 23 v 24: Mann, Hughes, Curran, Morrin in and Tanner, Waddell, Pele and Preston out.

There are a lot of names in that 2023 list that really delivered very little...

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hopefully if CC has got the team in peak fitness and stamina then maybe the plan is to run those big forwards around and tire them out for our little blokes to cut them up. I know having Salmon and Mann in the back row with some ball skills will cause trouble and little terriers like Morrin and Curran can cut down the big blokes.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's mentioned we have a "smaller" pack, I purposely missed the hookers and 1 of the "lighter" bench players out of 4, Morrin's weight isn't available online. I realise the weights aren't live, up to date but it's a good enough reference.

Reagan Campbell-Gillard 115
Junior Paulo 123
Shaun Lane 110
Bryce Cartwright 107
J'maine Hopgood 102
Ryan Matterson 107
Joe Ofahengaue 113
Kelma Tuilagi 108
Total KG 885

Max King 105
Poasa Faamausili 108
Viliame Kikau 116
Jacob Preston 100
Jaeman Salmon 96
Samuel Hughes 111
Josh Curran 104
Kurt Mann 88
Total KG 828

Parra is lugging around an extra 57kg, 7.125kg per player, take that as you like, for better or worse. Some of their players are good at breaking tackles, or offloads through their height like Lane, physique (Paulo), or just plain footy skills like Hopgood. We just need a solid Defence and play smart strong footy.
It will be around 30 degrees on Saturday, I think this will suit us more.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked up the team that trotted out last season round 1.

It's easy to judge in hindsight but lets do it anyway.

Backs 23 v 24: I reckon Xerri players so it's Taaffe, Xerri, Crichton, Hutchison in & Perham, Averillo, Alamoti, Flanagan out.
Forwards 23 v 24: Faamausili, Preston, Salmon in and Sutton, RFM, Brown out.
Bench 23 v 24: Mann, Hughes, Curran, Morrin in and Tanner, Waddell, Pele and Preston out.

There are a lot of names in that 2023 list that really delivered very little...
Have to say, even though a lot of those names didn’t deliver the longer 23 went on .. that whole team did hold their own round 1 last year against a strong Manly side, they were in that game right up to their necks, and it was there to be won, until one of the softest sin bins I’ve ever seen broke it open ..

Was there 3 try’s scored while we were a man down ?

TTurbo should have won an Oscar for that blatantly fake fall over, Flanagan hardly put a hand on him .. I was embarrassed for the referees being stupid enough to fall for that crap ..

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone have a code or something so I can buy tickets? Trying to buy for a bigger group and can't find more then 3 tickets together

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
who gives a fuck about the team list blah blah its round 1, lets just hope everything goes well and enjoy the game this weekend, and if we are shit oh well what can we do about it
Imo this is NOT the worst take on Saturday I like it in fact.It ain't for sheep stations nor is it the last game before the world ends..

2 games back to back on Kayo drink plenty of piss and try to enjoy.
Hopefully will watch both teams win.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Imo this is NOT the worst take on Saturday I like it in fact.It ain't for sheep stations nor is it the last game before the world ends..

2 games back to back on Kayo drink plenty of piss and try to enjoy.
Hopefully will watch both teams win.
Yep. I'd say this applies for the first 6 rounds at least.
The way to enjoy Bulldogs in 2024 is to follow NSW Cup as well as NRL.
Invest in the future.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dogs should be up for this they looked ok in the trials yeh Hutch copping bit of flack but I think he can do a job here. Think Ciro pushing for bit more from sexton…I prefer xerri only for size and returns coming out yardage. Although Xerri had slick hands in trials and adds pace.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You’re on point mate, I agree, it’s not pretty, but it’s the way it is at the moment until they build cohesion and confidence ..

So many games last season wasn’t so much that other teams beat us, it was more we actually lost these games ourselves by shooting ourselves in the foot, dumb mistakes, dropped ball, stupid penalties .. giving away momentum at the worst possible times and fatiguing ourselves, simply played dumb footy ..

It might not be exciting, but I’m really hoping to see smarter football this season, stop trying to score of every play and win the arm wrestle first / defence and field position ..

Go out there and focus on high completion/hang onto the ball at all costs ..

Don’t give away dumb penalties and 6 agains ..

Defend and hunt as a pack.

Turn them around with a smart kicking game and tire them out ..

Our chances in attack will come, and we’ll be better prepared to score from them if we’ve firstly won the right through playing smarter footy.

Maybe that’s what most are missing from some of these new recruits Hutch and co. maybe they’re smarter heads and bring a smarter game ..
Put me on coach! You got me ready to run through brick walls
Can't wait for the footy.

Hey it's not like we were penalised or six against the most, we just couldn't stop momentum and everything else that should be done to counter bad calls. Maybe the stats lie but we weren't the heaviest penalised nor six against. Maybe it's due to the timing of the calls rather than amount, etc but clearly we need to handle the games better like you mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.