Roberts deal improves Broncos salary cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me start off by asking "are the Broncos and the NRL actually serious!?!?!?" What a joke!

Have a read of this...

The only player Brisbane will lose as a result of signing star centre James Roberts is Dale Copley and incredibly the centre swap will actually improve the club’s salary cap room.

In a truly impressive recruitment feat, the Broncos will net a salary cap profit from the centre trade with Roberts who is arguably the best three-quarter in the NRL.

It was feared Brisbane would have to shed multiple players, including backline utility Lachlan Maranta, to fit Roberts in the cap.

However, the 22-year-old Roberts has made a major salary sacrifice to be at the club after a forged signature on his contracted prompted him to leave the Titans.

Read more at http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/roberts-deal-improves-broncos-salary-cap-20117/#yBz1UcIIofiBzfy3.99

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
However, the 22-year-old Roberts has made a major salary sacrifice to be at the club

Not much of a sacrifice with all the brown paper bags, secret third party deals and back room wheeling and dealing that will come into play to keep Roberts happy!!!
Romper Room could teach the NRL a thing or two about gullibility and fair play. Ready Please Mr Music.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
broncos know they are too big to fail, nrl will go through hoops to protect them

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Tis what happens when the majority owner of the club also is a main shareholder in the NRL.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Before a player leaves the Roosters/Broncos/Souffs.

"X player is staying for less money because of INSERT GULLIBLE REASON HERE''

After a player leaves Roosters/Broncos/Souffs.

"X player was on 900 billion dollars so we can afford to sign half the NRL and the other half of Super League"

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Before a player leaves the Roosters/Broncos/Souffs.

"X player is staying for less money because of INSERT GULLIBLE REASON HERE''

After a player leaves Roosters/Broncos/Souffs.

"X player was on 900 billion dollars so we can afford to sign half the NRL and the other half of Super League"

So true lol

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not necessarily a salary cap cheat.

It's more likely the simple consequence of having one team in a Rugby League mad city of over 2 million people. Each Sydney team competes with 8 other Sydney teams for third party deals. The Broncos have a monopoly locally. The sooner there's more teams in Brisbane (and, ideally, fewer in Sydney), the better.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not necessarily a salary cap cheat.

It's more likely the simple consequence of having one team in a Rugby League mad city of over 2 million people. Each Sydney team competes with 8 other Sydney teams for third party deals. The Broncos have a monopoly locally. The sooner there's more teams in Brisbane (and, ideally, fewer in Sydney), the better.
As Mr I said the majority owner of the Broncod is also a shareholder in the NRL so they won't be in any rush to do that. It means they can sign top quality players and nothing will happen. If there was a second Brisbane team I doubt their roster would be as stacked as it is now.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Mr I said the majority owner of the Broncod is also a shareholder in the NRL so they won't be in any rush to do that. It means they can sign top quality players and nothing will happen. If there was a second Brisbane team I doubt their roster would be as stacked as it is now.
Yup. Sad, but completely true.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let me start off by asking "are the Broncos and the NRL actually serious!?!?!?" What a joke!

Have a read of this...

The only player Brisbane will lose as a result of signing star centre James Roberts is Dale Copley and incredibly the centre swap will actually improve the club’s salary cap room.

In a truly impressive recruitment feat, the Broncos will net a salary cap profit from the centre trade with Roberts who is arguably the best three-quarter in the NRL.

It was feared Brisbane would have to shed multiple players, including backline utility Lachlan Maranta, to fit Roberts in the cap.

However, the 22-year-old Roberts has made a major salary sacrifice to be at the club after a forged signature on his contracted prompted him to leave the Titans.

Read more at http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/roberts-deal-improves-broncos-salary-cap-20117/#yBz1UcIIofiBzfy3.99
Yeah and pigs will fly. From memory knocked back about $400k per season at the Tits.

Royally sucks that third party payments can outweigh the salary cap commitment of a club. I remember that the Australian, Qld and Broncos captain was on $250k under their cap; so much for a player being assessed at their true worth under the said cap. I guess one horse town advantage really is important. Brown paper bags beats forgery of signature on contract any day.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah and pigs will fly. From memory knocked back about $400k per season at the Tits.

Royally sucks that third party payments can outweigh the salary cap commitment of a club. I remember that the Australian, Qld and Broncos captain was on $250k under their cap; so much for a player being assessed at their true worth under the said cap. I guess one horse town advantage really is important. Brown paper bags beats forgery of signature on contract any day.
Im happy for clubs to abuse TPA's, why should bigger clubs be held back by smaller clubs?

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im happy for clubs to abuse TPA's, why should bigger clubs be held back by smaller clubs?
Yeah - I have no objection to the Third Party Agreements system. It's better that than stopping players from earning what they're worth commercially simply because some clubs can't be bothered to market properly.

That said, it does rely on the league doing what it can to avoid obvious imbalances in the system and by keeping one Brisbane team and nine Sydney teams, they're failing to do that.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its mean, but I would have laughed so much if Roberts name was in the place of Elgey's this week. First training bang, out for the year.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
with the set up of the broncos and the powerful people backing the club, they have the ability to sign a player for next to no salary cap money, and pay up big using 3rd party deals like they have done on so many occasions.
doing this puts them under the salary cap each and every time and makes it pretty much an open cheque book and cash in hand deals, bennett has always had the advantage of this at the broncos, manipulation of the salary cap within the rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt they try and sell that Lockyer was only on something low like 200k during his final years?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah - I have no objection to the Third Party Agreements system. It's better that than stopping players from earning what they're worth commercially simply because some clubs can't be bothered to market properly.

That said, it does rely on the league doing what it can to avoid obvious imbalances in the system and by keeping one Brisbane team and nine Sydney teams, they're failing to do that.
Yh the balance of teams is ridiculous in the NRL, the NRL reallly needs to restructure the comp and add teams from each state along with a second division...will never happen though lol

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The whole way the salary cap system is structured makes it ripe for rorting. What's included in the cap should be the market value of the player, not what the club says they are paying him. The Broncs maintain that Roberts is playing for less money...lets say 250,000. In that case what is included in the cap should not be this value but what the TITS original offered him, which by all accounts was something like 400,000.........this should be considered his market value and included in their cap. That the NRL don't do this is either incredibly stupid, or simply a rule that is there by design so that just this type of rort can be accomplished. Personally I think its the latter. The salary cap is only there to give the illusion of fairness.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
same as the sam burgess deal, reported as $1.1 million a season yet the rabbits have room under the cap, again the benefit of a high and rorted 3rd part deal
fro transparency the nrl should release how much of a players deal is done by 3rd party, they dont need to list $$$$ figures but should be saying in what percentage they get from 3rd party
the way it looks at present the roberts deal is close to a 50/50 which under actual salary cap the broncos couldnt do

Status
Not open for further replies.