Robbie Slater gives it to Craig Foster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
The article in question from Craig Foster ...

Magilton signing takes Victory back in time
Craig Foster
January 15, 2012

Watching Harry Kewell returning to vintage form was the highlight of another enjoyable contest between the Victory and Adelaide, as was the impressive manner in which the Reds wrested control of the match and proved the better team in a second half in which they better combated the counter-attack. However, the real interest came off the pitch.

The signing of Jim Magilton is an interesting choice, to say the least, not only because Victory fans expected a candidate with better credentials, as did the rest of us, but also because it represents a return to the direction of yesteryear.

It hearks to both the historical reliance on Britons who built and quickly populated the coach education ranks in Australia and the beginnings of the A-League, when the immediate reaction of clubs was to import at a feverish rate from the mother country.

Richard Money at the Jets, Steve McMahon at the Glory and Terry Butcher at Sydney brought deeply entrenched views of how the game should be played and all showed that Australia had moved on, as their tactical and managerial approaches were clearly out of date.

Many of our returning champions, Ned Zelic and Paul Okon for instance, had excelled in countries such as Germany and Italy, and had no time for the boot and regroup mentality of the imports, who proved expensive nods to nostalgia for club owners.

It's interesting to see how much of our football media, many of whom are of British heritage, evidently feel comfortable with a Northern Irishman, as do some of the players, as talk quickly turns to how the new ''gaffer'' is going.

Commentators talk of how Magilton wears his ''heart on his sleeve'', as if this was a necessary and valuable part of being a high-level coach, and we're fed stories of how Victory training is now both intense and fun, because the Brits like to ''have a laugh in training''.

Sometimes it's important to stop and reflect, however, on whether the Italians, Germans, or Spaniards, whose leagues are the finest tactically and whose coaching influence was open to the Victory for exploitation, think it valuable to engage in great ''banter'' during training or love nothing more than a good, bone-crunching tackle.

Magilton had made clear he expects to institute a short-passing game. Australian football, however, has grown enough in a brief period to display that there is a world of difference between encouraging players to express themselves and look for options rather than take the direct route, and possessing the capacity to institute mechanisms to produce these options consistently.

The first is a philosophy, which is in itself laudable but merely the beginning, the latter is a methodology and is the true test of a coach.

Hopefully Magilton proves capable of producing high-quality, winning football based on a system of movement and short passing, but neither his first match against Adelaide, in which the Victory played on the counter, nor his record give any indication of his capacities.

Three years at Ipswich, a short spell at QPR that ended in controversy and an assistant role at Shamrock Rovers do not demonstrate an ability to produce high-level football or success, the twin requirements that should underpin any foreign appointment. The Victory's board is clearly punting that Magilton will develop into an outstanding coach in Australia.

The FFA requires an imported coach to possess a Pro Licence, which Magilton has, but after the expensive failures of the early years of the A-League, and more recently with Rini Coolen, it is high time a rule was instituted that any import must have demonstrated success in a league with a high tactical level and, for this, the Championship would clearly not comply.

Victory will undoubtedly rebound, but the question is not whether Magilton can match the rest of the A-League, but whether he can take Victory's football into Asia.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...ack-in-time-20120114-1q0gq.html#ixzz1jW2ZWYvl

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The response from Slater on Twitter ...

@RobbieSlater17 - Robbie Slater ... (please note this was over the course of about 17 tweets about 3 hours ago and has been edited so you can actually read it)

Ok here goes . I am sick of the continual attacks and in my opinion racist comments from @Craig_Foster on British people. His article in
Todays sun herald in my opinion is a racist column and it is beyond me how he continually gets away with these vile articles . Craig
you have disgraced yourself . What a way to welcome someone to our great country and please Jim Magilton do not think this is the way
that decent Australians welcome people from other countries .

Who Craig do you think you are to tell the victory of who they should employ and of what race . Why do you pretend to know what and who is a good coach. You have never coached anyone and why is nationality Important. British people have made a massive contribution to the history of our game and continue to do so just. It is surprising that you dislike the British so much because after all they gave you a career playing in the guess what . The championship . You didn't
Mind the British then did you ? Good money you earned and you enjoyed it all with the help of an englishman Terry venables. The best you ever had didn't you once say ? A man who saw more in you than anyone else did .

What is this pedestal you have put yourself on? It is not the one the late and great Johnny Warren stood on. He would be ashamed of you !

And who are you to preach with your dark secret ? Well bugger you, you upset my 82 year old father who had a tear in his eye after reading your crap . Yes he is English. But back to your secret ... explain to all your followers why you are the only socceroo to have been to my knowledge effectively banned never to be selected again after a disgraceful incident following a world cup qualifier in Tahiti . Maybe the true legend who got you out of that Tahitian jail should of left you there !

@Craig_Foster hang your head in shame and @lesmurraySBS you should haul him into your office and tell him his comments are unacceptable after all he does work for the excellent multi cultural channel SBS surely they can't be happy with this sort of behavior . Enough is enough !

And that's all I have to say about THAT !
Response from Les Murray via Twitter ....

2 hours ago
@lesmurraySBS - Les Murray

@Craig_Foster doesn't have a racist bone in his body. He merely contends that not all things imported from the 'mother' country (cont)... are good for our football, in fact much them are regressive.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
wow. some of those comments would have stung Craig Foster, this one in particular:

What is this pedestal you have put yourself on? It is not the one the late and great Johnny Warren stood on. He would be ashamed of you !

I am very interested as to what happened in Tahiti???

As for Craig Foster, he is very anti british and has been for the longest time!!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
oh man i hate foster, so this means i now like slater

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw for the information of foster, its interesting that a british manager can continue to outcoach spanish, italian, portugese, dutch and french coaches in the epl

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Foster is a much bigger wank off-air, but Slater is a much bigger tool off-air.

Murray is a gentleman.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slater needs his head read.

All Foster was stating is that we run too quickly to British managers for the A-League. It's not racist in any way. It is fact.

Perhaps if Slater gave up the "Three Stooges" act on Fox and got on with football he wouldn't have so much spare time to whip up publicity for his own show.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to say... I am over the A-league already, it takes up half the news on fox 513, its almost as
cringe worthy as the GayFL.....

Bring on the real "football" ......

ps: I have seen enuff Tennis too =( =( ......

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Got to say... I am over the A-league already, it takes up half the news on fox 513, its almost as
cringe worthy as the GayFL.....

Bring on the real "football" ......

ps: I have seen enuff Tennis too =( =( ......
I think a lot of people are over the A-League... Les Murray described it as a novelty that has wore off other people.

As for the Slater and Foster thing... I think Slater is still bitter losing his cash with Foster after they financed to have the Northern Spirits admitted in the old NSL

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This year it feels like it has been over done, never
had a problem with it in previous years .... Other
than Stephen Hill, he's a tosser ... and the
other commentators saying it's Football not soccer =(
Ps I am enjoying the NFL this year , though I support
the Dolphins , I hope Brady and the Pats win the superbowl
this year =)

Status
Not open for further replies.