Review/Thoughts on Dragons Trial Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the people that went, post up what you thought of tonights performance.

The top 13 played for about the first 30mins or so, and things were looking good.

Ennis had things moving quick out of dummy-half. He also done most of the kicking, and I can't remember one quick where the dragons fullback got one on the full. All his kicks found space and were well placed.

Matt utai had very good game. scored the first try (offload from Morris close to the line, and Utai powered his way over). Made heaps of metres up the middle, and as always provided plenty of quick play-the-balls.

Also note - Utai played most of the second half in the middle of the park, looked like he was playing in the second row. Didn;t really notice him in defense, but had plenty of hitups and even made a half break or 2. Looks promising.

Holdsworth started the game with an intercept pass which almost lead to the Dragons first try. Didn't really notice him through the game besides a few shocking passess. Done his claims no good.

BK was everywhere! Was in alot of tackles, chased his kicks and setup Barba's try. Lead the team well, structure looked alot better when he was on the field.

Stagg and Warburton both had good games. Very solid in defense and Gary also had a few good runs. Ryan?, Was MIA. didn't really notice anything he did.

Hannant had some good hitups, was good in defense. Chris Armit had a suprisingly good game, from my point of view he outplayed Hannant.

Hodgson was very impressive, brang his short passing game with him and looks more likely that he will keep a starting spot.

Crisp was alright, bit sus in defense. Although he was very good under the high ball and also wasn't as sluggish as he was last year. Doesn't look to be anything more than a backup for Patten.

Haz was ordinary, ran sideways and that's about it. Couple of good things- kicked a good goal and cleared an attacking grubber from the saints.

Idris was very enthusiastic, ran aggressively, defended well and did nothing wrong. Number 4 should be his for rd1.

Morris played as expected, was there in attacking plays and defended well.

So after the first half it was 12-12. Then the second 40 started and Moore started interchaning. But in the second half Holdsworth went to 7, and things were just falling apart.

Barba played a bit in the first half and played most of the second. Had alot more confidence in defense (had bulked up slightly), didnt miss any easy tackles, and in attack he had lost no flair, very quick and just wanted to do something with the ball. He justs needs to know when to pass and when to run, he tends to take on the line a bit.

Sullivan played 9, did his usual, passed well, a few scoots but has nothing on Ennis. Winitana went to wing, did nothing special. Goodwin was at the back and looked good. He will be the obvious choice when Haz hangs up the boots.

Morrin ran and tackled hard, put in plenty of effort. Harrison made one tackle and then got taken off after he was knocked out.

Gordan and Te Maari, well didnt even notice them much. Worsley had some good hitups, and is a big boy.

Overall, first half (when the top 13 played) we looked good and were easily competing with the Dragons. We had structure, but just need to work on combos. Ennis out of dummy half is exactly what we need, and provides quickness out of the ruck which is what will get us on top in games.

Defense was the biggest improvement. With Ryan, Stagg, Warburton and BK we defended very well. I'd like to see our missed tackles for the game as last year we were avg like 50 something missed tackles.

With General coming back, and if we can stay injury free we will have a good year.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holdsworth started the game with an intercept pass which almost lead to the Dragons first try. Didn't really notice him through the game besides a few shocking passess. Done his claims no good. (As Expected)

Barba played a bit in the first half and played most of the second. Had alot more confidence in defense (had bulked up slightly), didnt miss any easy tackles, and in attack he had lost no flair, very quick and just wanted to do something with the ball. He justs needs to know when to pass and when to run, he tends to take on the line a bit.
(Great news)

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Started the game well, Most improved thing was the defence but the penaltys are still there, We really need the general back crispy droped another one.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
thanks moeyyy

top_dawg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
moe i have to pull u up on not noticing te maari, he was awesome, u mustve confused him with other islander players.

He threw the shoulder in every tackle, ran agressively, and has picked up some pace in the offseason.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
moe i have to pull u up on not noticing te maari, he was awesome, u mustve confused him with other islander players.

He threw the shoulder in every tackle, ran agressively, and has picked up some pace in the offseason.
Yeah, i noticed him when he fist came on and made that first tackle, but then just got lost amongst the other players.

But thanks, thats good to hear.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started the game well, Most improved thing was the defence but the penaltys are still there, We really need the general back crispy droped another one.
I read somewhere else that we were leading the penalty count 9-2 at one point ?

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere else that we were leading the penalty count 9-2 at one point ?
Dunno what the count was but it felt like watching a game from last year at times, Giving away stupid penalty's everytime we have them in there 20-30.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good to hear that Bryson Goodwin has potential.

D

dogs_4 lyf

agreed with ennis, thought he went well just slightly over kicked at times but all in all had a good hit out.

Utai by far was the MOM for me ran hard all game and never gave up.

i thought also another standout was kimmorley seems like we were organized well and he also had a very good kicking game.

Morris also had a good hit out running strong and really gave us pace in the back that we have lacked.

i thought barba showed plenty of improvement this year and the kimmorley inside ball for him to score might be a sign of things to come ;)

hannant & hodgson had a good hit out both tackling well and running hard.

Buffalo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought crisp played better when he went to the wing. Gives us an height option.

Thought that Goodwin was better at fullback.

Good to see some direction from Ennis and Kimmorley already - can only get better.

Otherwise for the first game together it was not too bad.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear that Bryson Goodwin has potential.
mate i was surprised with his performance. hazem may loose his position if he doesn't perform well in the first few rounds, Goodwin will fit in the number 2 perfectly. im also impressed the way buddy Gordan played tonight he was good in defense n attack. it will be interesting to see the lineup for rd 1. that Conrad guy who played in nsw cup popped a few good hit. its goin to be an interesting yr for the dogs no doubt about that.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Good review Moe. Cheers

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So who underperformed for the Dogs?

Who does everyone there feel does not deserve a spot in the starting team?

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
I was told Barba actually went alright in defence

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
*sigh* I have to wonder just how long they'll persist with Holdsworth in first grade.

Sure it takes a full 13 men to win a game, and it may seem like I'm singling him out, but game after game last year all he did was things that cost us points.

Sounds like nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.