Religious Discussion Thread

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The story of Our Lady of Guadalupe dates back to the 16th century in Mexico. It is a significant event in Mexican and Catholic history, revered by millions of people around the world. Here's the narrative:

In December 1531, an indigenous Mexican peasant named Juan Diego reportedly encountered a vision of the Virgin Mary on Tepeyac Hill, near present-day Mexico City. According to tradition, Mary appeared to Juan Diego as a young indigenous woman, speaking to him in his native Nahuatl language. She asked him to build a church in her honor on the hill.

Juan Diego, initially uncertain of the validity of the vision, went to the local bishop, Fray Juan de Zumárraga, to relay Mary's request. However, the bishop was skeptical and asked for a sign to prove the authenticity of Juan Diego's encounter.

Mary appeared to Juan Diego again, instructing him to gather roses from the top of the hill, even though it was winter and flowers were not in bloom. Following her instructions, Juan Diego found an abundance of roses and arranged them in his cloak, or "tilma," made of coarse cactus fiber.

When Juan Diego presented the roses to the bishop as proof of Mary's request, he opened his cloak to reveal the flowers. However, it wasn't the roses that amazed the bishop but an image of the Virgin Mary imprinted on Juan Diego's tilma. The image was described as a young woman with olive skin, dark hair, and wearing traditional indigenous clothing.

The bishop recognized this as the sign he had asked for and believed Juan Diego's account. He ordered the construction of a church on Tepeyac Hill, which later became the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, one of the most visited Catholic pilgrimage sites in the world.

The miraculous image on Juan Diego's tilma remains preserved to this day in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City. Despite being made of poor quality material that typically deteriorates within a few decades, the tilma has remained remarkably intact for over 500 years, further contributing to the belief in its miraculous nature.

Our Lady of Guadalupe has become a symbol of Mexican identity and Catholic faith, with millions of pilgrims visiting her shrine each year to pay homage and seek blessings. She is also considered the patroness of the Americas and the unborn, among other titles, and her feast day is celebrated on December 12th.

Attachments

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The story of Our Lady of Guadalupe dates back to the 16th century in Mexico. It is a significant event in Mexican and Catholic history, revered by millions of people around the world. Here's the narrative:

In December 1531, an indigenous Mexican peasant named Juan Diego reportedly encountered a vision of the Virgin Mary on Tepeyac Hill, near present-day Mexico City. According to tradition, Mary appeared to Juan Diego as a young indigenous woman, speaking to him in his native Nahuatl language. She asked him to build a church in her honor on the hill.

Juan Diego, initially uncertain of the validity of the vision, went to the local bishop, Fray Juan de Zumárraga, to relay Mary's request. However, the bishop was skeptical and asked for a sign to prove the authenticity of Juan Diego's encounter.

Mary appeared to Juan Diego again, instructing him to gather roses from the top of the hill, even though it was winter and flowers were not in bloom. Following her instructions, Juan Diego found an abundance of roses and arranged them in his cloak, or "tilma," made of coarse cactus fiber.

When Juan Diego presented the roses to the bishop as proof of Mary's request, he opened his cloak to reveal the flowers. However, it wasn't the roses that amazed the bishop but an image of the Virgin Mary imprinted on Juan Diego's tilma. The image was described as a young woman with olive skin, dark hair, and wearing traditional indigenous clothing.

The bishop recognized this as the sign he had asked for and believed Juan Diego's account. He ordered the construction of a church on Tepeyac Hill, which later became the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, one of the most visited Catholic pilgrimage sites in the world.

The miraculous image on Juan Diego's tilma remains preserved to this day in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City. Despite being made of poor quality material that typically deteriorates within a few decades, the tilma has remained remarkably intact for over 500 years, further contributing to the belief in its miraculous nature.

Our Lady of Guadalupe has become a symbol of Mexican identity and Catholic faith, with millions of pilgrims visiting her shrine each year to pay homage and seek blessings. She is also considered the patroness of the Americas and the unborn, among other titles, and her feast day is celebrated on December 12th.
Its truely amazing, I've watched many documentaries about it.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its truely amazing, I've watched many documentaries about it.
I've known about Guadalupe for along time to, I thought it was a sensational story, the inprint of the Virgin Mary on the Indians clock and the fact that it has not faded in 500 years, convinced me that it was a miricale. I thought I post the story since its Lent.
You would think that with so many anti Catholic/Christians around that some would have claimed it as fake, but I have'nt heard anything from the sceptices yet.
I guess it will most likely get some cold water poured on it in the next few days by a few of our non believers on TK.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've known about Guadalupe for along time to, I thought it was a sensational story, the inprint of the Virgin Mary on the Indians clock and the fact that it has not faded in 500 years, convinced me that it was a miricale. I thought I post the story since its Lent.
You would think that with so many anti Catholic/Christians around that some would have claimed it as fake, but I have'nt heard anything from the sceptices yet.
I guess it will most likely get some cold water poured on it in the next few days by a few of our non believers on TK.
The stars which show the date, the art work detail is amazing. Many around the world have already tried, don’t care what they think just as much as they care what I think.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Get ready for the "Fact Check" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The stars which show the date, the art work detail is amazing. Many around the world have already tried, don’t care what they think just as much as they care what I think.
I Love Mary to bits...Revelation says we are her children

The Woman and the Dragon
Revelation 12

A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth.... She gave birth to a son, a male child, who will rule all the nations with an iron rod...When the dragon saw that he had been hurled to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child....Then from his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman and sweep her away with the torrent. But the earth helped the woman by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her children—those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get ready for the "Fact Check" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I was expecting some one to have done it by now, since we have a few contrairians/athiests around.
One reason why I posted it is because of all the ANTI'S around the world I have never heard/read of anyone rubbishing this story.
I'm sure tha if some of the athiests were present at Fatima they would still think of some way to discread it.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Love Mary to bits...Revelation says we are her children

The Woman and the Dragon
Revelation 12

A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth.... She gave birth to a son, a male child, who will rule all the nations with an iron rod...When the dragon saw that he had been hurled to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child....Then from his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman and sweep her away with the torrent. But the earth helped the woman by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her children—those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus.
Funny how the protestants tell me that they don't pray to Mary, they all gave me the impression that praying to Mary might make God jelous.
I found that telling them that we pray to God through Mary for her to intervien for us was a waste of time.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Funny how the protestants tell me that they don't pray to Mary, they all gave me the impression that praying to Mary might make God jelous.
I found that telling them that we pray to God through Mary for her to intervien for us was a waste of time.
Yet they will ask their friends, family members to pray for them in a time of need, it's bit hypocritical. You can ask anyone to pray for you but don't you dare ask Mary to pray for you, that's bad, it's a bad bad thing the Catholic's have invented.

I asked a protestant once why they thought praying to Mary and asking for her intercession was different to asking a family member or friend to pray for you. They said it was different because apparently "Mary is dead, she can't hear you". Then I showed them this passage:

John 11:25-26..."Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die"

Then I asked him, you think Mary believed in her own Son? He answered yes. So then I asked him if John11:25-26 says she is still alive because she believed then why can't we ask her to pray for us? He had no answer and just walked away.

You see Kelpie, Catholicism isn't a denomination of Christianity, it IS Christianity. Catholicism is the Fullness of Christianity.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yet they will ask their friends, family members to pray for them in a time of need, it's bit hypocritical. You can ask anyone to pray for you but don't you dare ask Mary to pray for you, that's bad, it's a bad bad thing the Catholic's have invented.

I asked a protestant once why they thought praying to Mary and asking for her intercession was different to asking a family member or friend to pray for you. They said it was different because apparently "Mary is dead, she can't hear you". Then I showed them this passage:

John 11:25-26..."Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die"

Then I asked him, you think Mary believed in her own Son? He answered yes. So then I asked him if John11:25-26 says she is still alive because she believed then why can't we ask her to pray for us? He had no answer and just walked away.

You see Kelpie, Catholicism isn't a denomination of Christianity, it IS Christianity. Catholicism is the Fullness of Christianity.
Orthodoxy is christianity.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

:
The way I see it bro if you believe in God you must take your beliefs seriously, and Cathlicism has and teaches Christs truths more comprenhensively, than all the others.
Us true Christians have to deal with the anti Christian rubbish all the time. I have listened and tried to understand the arguments from many Protistants, and I have no doubt that those who broke away from our faith have done so because the found Christs teachings (I call it the cross) to hard to carry. (They are afraid to look at the Cross Jesus carried). But are also afraid to abandon God alltogether for fear of hell so they look for a convienent God. A God that allows them to live by their own rules,
I've had a lot of fun with the JW, one calls me and starts to talk about the bible, I remind him that all of the stuff I've read from them was about rubbishing the Catholic Church, and asked him if they believed in praying to God..
A few months latter he calls back and says that we must pray to God, and it says so in the bible. I then ask him to meet me personall so that we can discussGod and religion face to face, he agrees but never turns up. Later some one else calls and the same thing happens all over again.
They most likely know that I'm one of the elders of our Church, so they nit pick around but are afraid to face me head on.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure what to make of that joke Hacky, guess I must be getting old
The joke is that some Evangelical church thought it was good to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a couple of Superbowl commercials, instead of using the money for actual good.

There's a reason why I don't really like Evangelicals.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yet they will ask their friends, family members to pray for them in a time of need, it's bit hypocritical.
I have to admit Mr. Millan (lol) that I do this, and actually feel guilty, and definitely hypocritical. However, you know what my Christian friends do when I ask them? They embrace me and pray for me, including my Muslim friend. Incidentally as I write this, the song that I sing to her, just came on my playlist. Perhaps God is listening! I find so much comfort in them willing to offer their words to something, and I mean no disrespect by using the word ’something’. As it is not something to them, or you, it is a wondrous being of love. I really feel special for them to help me. To me it represents the goodness in religion, and the goodness in them.

Anyway, I guess in the end, deep down maybe I do hope there is something out there helping us. However, I still have that nagging doubt. It must be very comforting to have unshakable faith. :blush:

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The joke is that some Evangelical church thought it was good to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a couple of Superbowl commercials, instead of using the money for actual good.

There's a reason why I don't really like Evangelicals.
Thanks mate, I should have seen it myself, but like I said I must be getting old, after all I'll be turning 80 on the 25th of next month.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to admit Mr. Millan (lol) that I do this, and actually feel guilty, and definitely hypocritical. However, you know what my Christian friends do when I ask them? They embrace me and pray for me, including my Muslim friend. Incidentally as I write this, the song that I sing to her, just came on my playlist. Perhaps God is listening! I find so much comfort in them willing to offer their words to something, and I mean no disrespect by using the word ’something’. As it is not something to them, or you, it is a wondrous being of love. I really feel special for them to help me. To me it represents the goodness in religion, and the goodness in them.

Anyway, I guess in the end, deep down maybe I do hope there is something out there helping us. However, I still have that nagging doubt. It must be very comforting to have unshakable faith. :blush:
Don't worry Bro, I am also tempted with the same nagging doubts every day usually many times a day. I spoke to a few Priests about it and they have to deal with the same dubts as well.
I see those thoughts as proof that Satan does exist.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't worry Bro, I am also tempted with the same nagging doubts every day usually many times a day. I spoke to a few Priests about it and they have to deal with the same dubts as well.
I see those thoughts as proof that Satan does exist.
You know Kelp. I used to really question those who believe in God. I’d be asking them prove that God exists. Then a friend said something that awakened my eyes to religious folks beliefs. It meant that I would will never ask them to prove God exists. She said, ‘I do not see God. I do not hear God. But I feel God. I feel his presence around me. That is why I believe.”

I couldn’t argue with that Kelps. :relaxed: