Religious Discussion Thread

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It would depend if the guy is getting fired for just being catholic and hasn’t pushed those beliefs on his company or promoted things against his company right?
He posted on his social media that homosexuality is a sin

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He posted on his social media that homosexuality is a sin
What’s it say in his contract about it? Coz the catholic schools have all that detailed stuff in contracts and are aware of the churches teachings. You can’t just go to a private institution then do something you know will make you look like a “victim” for going against said rules. That’s like going to a lgbtqi sponsored school and promoting anti lgbtqi values. Compare apples with apples not apples to oranges my guy.

If a catholic went to an lgbtqi sponsored school with the intention of pushing catholic teachings no matter what I think, he’s be justified in being sacked and has no right to act like a victim because he knew what he was doing.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is where I differ from actual lefties. I think that equity is needed in many circumstances. If you have 99% of businesses refusing to hire gay people, then it's an issue and you need to counteract it with discrimination laws.

But we don't have that. We have some religious organisations who don't want to employ gay people, and I believe they should be free to do that. Equally I think an atheist should be free to fire someone who preaches Christianity at work. Freedom of association. It's one of the few things the Libertarians got right.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What’s it say in his contract about it? Coz the catholic schools have all that detailed stuff in contracts and are aware of the churches teachings. You can’t just go to a private institution then do something you know will make you look like a “victim” for going against said rules. That’s like going to a lgbtqi sponsored school and promoting anti lgbtqi values. Compare apples with apples not apples to oranges my guy.
Ok fair. When he renews the contract of his employees. Include a clause saying the company promotes acceptance all people. And if they break that. Fuk em they can work somewhere else.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok fair. When he renews the contract of his employees. Include a clause saying the company promotes acceptance all people. And if they break that. Fuk em they can work somewhere else.
I don’t care what your dad does lol. Just don’t come to a catholic private school and tell the church what’s right and wrong.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

If a catholic went to an lgbtqi sponsored school with the intention of pushing catholic teachings no matter what I think, he’s be justified in being sacked and has no right to act like a victim because he knew what he was doing.
Yeah. I believe it's generally covered under school/work image. Which is unfortunately a little bit vague when it comes to law. It's the same contractual thing that got Folau fired, but as it's vague, he was able to lock it up in courts until RA decided to settle.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah. I believe it's generally covered under school/work image. Which is unfortunately a little bit vague when it comes to law. It's the same contractual thing that got Folau fired, but as it's vague, he was able to lock it up in courts until RA decided to settle.
Hypothetically Honestly if I went to a lgbtqi sponsored school to save the children and then get fired for teaching them about Jesus and how there’s more to life than worrying about what gender you are at 5 and how to safely have gay sex, I’d dust my feet and accept it and wear it as a badge of honour. I did my bit. I wouldn’t cry and be a victim after knowingly doing what I knew would breach my contract lol.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t care what your dad does lol. Just don’t come to a catholic private school and tell the church what’s right and wrong.
No i agree. Its fair. Lucky they are on contracts. I hope he can do it. They preach their dribble all the time online. They are associated with the company. Gives the company a bad name.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We had a gay teacher at the Catholic School I taught at .. Brilliant drama teacher..boys thought he was great..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No i agree. Its fair. Lucky they are on contracts. I hope he can do it. They preach their dribble all the time online. They are associated with the company. Gives the company a bad name.
It does cause an interesting flip effect. There's so many people who are gay but also Catholic. If Catholicism completely rejects them then it's less Catholics in the world.

But I know how devout religious get. I have a friend who is Mexican and moved to Australia to marry another guy. He's also extremely devout Catholic. His whole family is.

When we had a Catholic wedding in America he refused to enter the church because he believes that being gay is an insult to God, and he doesn't want to insult God any further. But he prayed in silence outside the Church the whole time.

I personally thought that God didn't deserve his tears, but it's his decision. He is so strongly Catholic but also can't deny who he is, so he lives in constant conflict. It's sad, but it is who he is and he'll never change. That goes for him being gay, and him being Catholic.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It does cause an interesting flip effect. There's so many people who are gay but also Catholic. If Catholicism completely rejects them then it's less Catholics in the world.

But I know how devout religious get. I have a friend who is Mexican and moved to Australia to marry another guy. He's also extremely devout Catholic. His whole family is.

When we had a Catholic wedding in America he refused to enter the church because he believes that being gay is an insult to God, and he doesn't want to insult God any further. But he prayed in silence outside the Church the whole time.

I personally thought that God didn't deserve his tears, but it's his decision. He is so strongly Catholic but also can't deny who he is, so he lives in constant conflict. It's sad, but it is who he is and he'll never change. That goes for him being gay, and him being Catholic.
Can he call himself Catholic whilst constantly commiting the sin of being and acting on his homosexuality?

If not. Its sad he can't come to that realisation and either stop being catholic or stop being gay.

It would be like me believing I am an athiest but pray every night to the spaghetti monster.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can he call himself Catholic whilst constantly commiting the sin of being and acting on his homosexuality?

If not. Its sad he can't come to that realisation and either stop being catholic or stop being gay.

It would be like me believing I am an athiest but pray every night to the spaghetti monster.
Yeah, it's an unfortunate cognitive divide. He was raised Catholic and he can't reject his beliefs. But he also can't reject who he is.

Many Atheists would see his Catholicism to be something he can easily get rid of. Many Catholics would see his homosexuality as something he can't easily get rid of. But the fact is that for him, getting rid of either is like cutting off a limb. He's gay. That's who he is. But he's also Catholic and he couldn't conceive a life where he isn't Catholic.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

There are quite a few Catholics who have same sex attractions but abstain from any homosexual relations or sexual activity.

The guy hacky mentioned doesn’t really make sense, the sin would be to take communion and act like you’re not in mortal sin, and you’re also right that it doesn’t really make sense and he should choose, as Christ our lord even said himself, he prefers people either fully in or fully out, he does not like people hot and cold and in between. But I must emphasise this doesn’t mean he is saying people who sin should not be catholic, but people who wanna eat from satans plate and also eat and drink the lords body and blood. You can’t have both.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I doubt it does as it would only affect probably 1-3% of total population in Australia including on twitter, and I’m assuming your dads own business isn’t massive right? So wouldn’t really have a negative effect

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Any Billy Graham enthusiasts here? I've been binging the "Billy Graham Classics" lately, guy was an absolute machine.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There are quite a few Catholics who have same sex attractions but abstain from any homosexual relations or sexual activity.

The guy hacky mentioned doesn’t really make sense, the sin would be to take communion and act like you’re not in mortal sin, and you’re also right that it doesn’t really make sense and he should choose, as Christ our lord even said himself, he prefers people either fully in or fully out, he does not like people hot and cold and in between. But I must emphasise this doesn’t mean he is saying people who sin should not be catholic, but people who wanna eat from satans plate and also eat and drink the lords body and blood. You can’t have both.
I think it doesn't make sense to you and Dogna for similar reasons. It doesn't make sense to you because you're not gay. It doesn't make sense to Dogna because he's not Catholic.

As I said. For him to reject his Catholicism or his homosexuality, it's like cutting off a limb. Or worse. He couldn't exist if he rejected either part of himself. But those two parts are also in constant conflict.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I doubt it does as it would only affect probably 1-3% of total population in Australia including on twitter, and I’m assuming your dads own business isn’t massive right? So wouldn’t really have a negative effect
Small or big. It does have a negative effect. His clients have brought it up. So regardles of what % of the population you think it is. It effects his business. Like you said. Add a clause. And sack their medievil asses when they breach it loll

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it doesn't make sense to you and Dogna for similar reasons. It doesn't make sense to you because you're not gay. It doesn't make sense to Dogna because he's not Catholic.

As I said. For him to reject his Catholicism or his homosexuality, it's like cutting off a limb. Or worse. He couldn't exist if he rejected either part of himself. But those two parts are also in constant conflict.
Na I do understand, especially considering you’re saying he’s Mexican. To a lot of them Catholicism is a legit way of life. All I’m saying is, if he’s that devoutly Catholic he’d recognise his mortal sin (as stated in Christianity) and try and turn away from it. Do you know if he tries and stops having gay relations? And goes confession? He is doing a good thing though abstaining from reviving the holy Eucharist as Catholics who receive in grace mortal sin, we are taught you’re putting Gods judgement on you.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Small or big. It does have a negative effect. His clients have brought it up. So regardles of what % of the population you think it is. It effects his business. Like you said. Add a clause. And sack their medievil asses when they breach it loll
Ok do that lol. I don’t care

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Any Billy Graham enthusiasts here? I've been binging the "Billy Graham Classics" lately, guy was an absolute machine.
I remember Billy Graham. He was one of the reasons I dislike Evangelicals so much. Not the main reason though. The main reason I don't like them is because they often push fake faith healings and weird over the top stuff, before demanding that their paritioners give them all their money. And Hillsong have generally been the worst for this.

EV Baptists like Graham are similarly bad. He had a strong belief that women shouldn't leave the kitchen, he was pretty anti-semetic, and he openly stated that AIDS was Gods punishment for people being gay.

It reminds me that while I don't get along well with Catholics, there are things much worse than Catholicism.