Refs relationship with Dogs in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it will improve. If you think there is a Black Friday cloud over our heads the 2 players who got done for “abusing” the refs are still here (Klemmer and Lichaa).

I’ll be interested to see how Jackson changes with the new responsibilities. He is one of our more penalised players and probably the most emotional when he gets penalised. In the past he has gotten frustrated and given a few on the run. I hope the new responsibility doesn’t neuter him as a player like it has some others in the past.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The menace and half finger Graham annoyed the shoit out of the refs, throw in the utter disrespect of Hasler towards all officials and it was a bad recipe. I think Jackson will just keep playing positive footy regardless of good or bad calls and this Can be the difference between winning or loosing close games.

Reactions: DT

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think things will improve overall. Pay has been pretty good with the media so far, no riddles or stupid cliches like Hasler. I think he'll develop a decent relationship with game officials.

I think Jackson will set a good example as captain and the other players will follow.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I doubt it will improve. If you think there is a Black Friday cloud over our heads the 2 players who got done for “abusing” the refs are still here (Klemmer and Lichaa).

I’ll be interested to see how Jackson changes with the new responsibilities. He is one of our more penalised players and probably the most emotional when he gets penalised. In the past he has gotten frustrated and given a few on the run. I hope the new responsibility doesn’t neuter him as a player like it has some others in the past.
I think he will lose the emotion with his captaincy.

I remember one time in 2017 against the cowboys, he ran decoys on two instances, but stopped in the line both times and was pinged for both.

Then poor old Justin o Neil got the ball and got pumped by jacko.... who gave away another penalty, d’oh

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For any NRL refs reading this forum, you guys are the best!!!!

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
then we shall be hard wired to throw water bottles at him

LOL

Just kidding guys,
We don't do those things.
Water bottles would not get the message through his thick skull!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Champion teams can even beat overwhelmingly biased refereeing. So I hope we turn out to be that good this year. But in the past couple of years I've wanted to throw tomatoes at the refs, canned tomatoes.

Malla

Reaction score
James Graham had a very 'us v them' mentality. Hopefully Jackson can form a better working relationship with the refs

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Couple quick questions:

In light of the raft of changes over the off season is it possible that we may see some changes in the way the refs deal with us as a team?

Were we ever really treated differently, or was it a case of "blue and white goggles"?

Did Des, Graham or anyone else through their actions really effect the way we were treated by the refs?

Do refs relationships with teams / coaches / captains / players really make that much difference to a game?

What do we hope to see from Jacko and Pay in comparison to Des and Graham with the refs?
No. They have a grudge against the jersey not who is wearing them.

Ennis proved that.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
No. They have a grudge against the jersey not who is wearing them.

Ennis proved that.
You know its amazing how when you are winning games whatever the ref does is washed over. Its only when we are going rubbish everyone focuses on the decisions that go against us. Ennis was a problem for the refs and opp because of his behaviour. Jammer wasn't much better. We didn't seem to have these problems when Bobcat and Pricey were in charge and that was during our dark period. We won't get any better decisions this year than last but we will overlook them because we are winning again......

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The team appears to have a much better attitude. There will be no more bent finger pointing, shouting, or being called Voldemorts.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler did not do us any favours with refs or the media. (Voldermont references etc - critical of certain points every media conference - ducks and Drake’s in media conferences etc)
The Sutton brothers should not be in the positions they are in Gerald Sutton is an awful ref and I cannot believe he is considered first grade standard. Goes upstairs on every try even when he is right in front of it! Some of his calls are just mind baffling.

I think Jacko doesn’t mind having a chat with referees if he can use the Jedi mind trick like Cameron Smith then go for it. I noticed in the canberra trial although you couldn’t hear the audio he had a bit of a debate re the Elliot sin binning due to Pauli striking Elliot

I think Jacko May be restrained as it’s his first year in the job but all I want to see is consistency by referees which has not happened in a long time! All the talk re the play the ball being enforced I applaud it but if come round 1 and the Fifitas and Woods (who is also a serial offender) don’t get pinged then Greenberg will need to haul the refs boss in and ask for a please explain!!

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
You are correct, and obviously have done the study to back up the theory.
Interesting topic, Id love to learn more about this kind of stuff.
DM me and I’ll share with you links

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For mine it started when Bill Harrigan came along. It's been going on THAT long.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
For mine it started when Bill Harrigan came along. It's been going on THAT long.
I agree with that coincidence! :grinning: When you watch old games you can see its hard to believe what you're watching... a ref (mostly) fairly adjudicating "both" teams. Youre always expecting the whistle to be blown against us like it does now, but it doesn't happen....a stark contrast you immediately pick up on. Lets hope things start changing this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.