Red-hot Carney rules the roost

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By David Riccio
THIS match was supposed to be all about the comeback of dual international Timana Tahu with the Eels.

But in an individual display that indicates just how far Roosters ace Todd Carney has come, the former Canberra Raiders outcast last night produced another man of the match performance to overshadow Tahu and last season's grand finalists.

With Carney in this sort of form, last season's wooden-spooners are looking at a much brighter 2010 under new coach Brian Smith, while the Eels must be concerned about getting off to another tardy start.

For the second successive week, Carney recorded a 16-point haul, which included a try and six goals. In the process, he sent the Eels to their third straight trial loss in front of 18,111 fans in Gosford.

While last year's runners-up were out-gunned across the park, they were missing a host of stars including Jarryd Hayne, Justin Poore, Eric Grothe and Shane Shackleton.

Carney, with a licence to roam in the No. 1 jumper, combined brilliantly with halfback Mitchell Pearce to carve up the Eels and he was given an early rest by coach Smith with 15 minutes remaining.

The only downside for the Roosters came with five minutes left when Anthony Cherrington was stretchered from the field with a knee injury.

It all started well for Tahu. In the first eight minutes, he touched the football more times than he did in two years of rugby union.

He also announced himself back in the NRL with a shoulder charge on opposite number Shaun Kenny-Dowall, which knocked the ball free.

But that was about as appealing as it got for the Eels early, with Roosters half Mitchell Pearce and Carney coming to the fore.

First it was Carney, whose neat grubber kick allowed Anthony Minichiello to swoop from his wing to score out wide in the 11th minute for a try.

Then it was Pearce's turn just three minutes later. He combined with backrower Tom Symonds before Pearce finished off the movement with a try close to the posts.

With the Roosters leading 12-0 after 14 minutes, the Eels finally found their groove when Joel Reddy pounced on a Matt Keating kick in the 17th minute.

The Roosters bombed a try in the 33rd minute, when Minichiello finished off a 30m bust with a wayward pass.

Parramatta bridged the gap to two points at halftime when young backrower Brendan Oake dived over.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS 40 (A Minichiello 2, T Carney, A Guerra, M Pearce, T Symonds, S Tuigamale tries; T Carney 6 goals) PARRAMATTA 14 (J Reddy, F Mateo, B Oake tries; L Burt goal).

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many of yous thought that buying Carney would have been a mistake?

"Just wait... Just wait.. you'll see.. he'll stuff up...." lol

I wanted this bloke at Canterbury. If I was the CEO i'd have thrown the cheque book at the kid.

Now we gotta wait to see if Danny wants to come over...

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
doesnt matter how good the person is, its not only skill. His reputation doesnt fit in with our club's direction. A simple 'i promise i will be good' won't do. He has cried wolf soo many times already

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
He doesn't give a **** about the clubs reputations that he plays for. The **** doesn't deserve to wear the Blue and White.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
doesnt matter how good the person is, its not only skill. His reputation doesnt fit in with our club's direction. A simple 'i promise i will be good' won't do. He has cried wolf soo many times already
Pretty much this.

Yeah he is going great guns now, but what if he f*cks up again ? Everyone will be pointing at the roosters and saying "told you so".

He may have a great year and end up playing origin and 4 nations, however I wonder how many clubs will look back and say "maybe we should have bought him ?" - you will find not many.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much this.

Yeah he is going great guns now, but what if he f*cks up again ? Everyone will be pointing at the roosters and saying "told you so".

He may have a great year and end up playing origin and 4 nations, however I wonder how many clubs will look back and say "maybe we should have bought him ?" - you will find not many.
if he puts a couple seasons together i bet heaps will be saying "yeah should have bought him cheap as chips back in the day... we always knew he had the talent. should have snapped him up for a pittance back then."

Mate, you don't mess around when you've got a special talent on the loose. You snap him up for cheap as quick smart.

The bloke would have fit right in at canterbury... noddy half, carney 5/6... That would have been a premiership winning combination. How about Carney's general play kicking and goal kicking? The bloke is flawless on both counts. You've just got to take a punt sometimes. The rewards far outweigh the risk.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
were not questioning his skill simmo. No one has, but thats like saying who cares about his behaviour as long as he performs. The dogs have moved away from this, even if he kills it i wouldnt regret us not signing him.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The guy could be a serial killer, but as long as he is an awesome rugby league player that doesn't matter at all. Infact, the NRL should use Carney as their poster boy.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
your sarcasm bores me moe :p

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
It's against the eels side with half their forward pack missing.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Carney got into so much trouble here in Canberra, imagine how he's going to handle sydney nightlife lol.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
and besides it's trial games, wait till the nrl season to see how well he goes before blowing your top

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
going great guns in trial matches......yeah let's talk him up lmao

true enough though, we all know he has talent on the field and 'should' continue this form into the regular season, where it really counts

it's only been 2 months since he set fire to his mate (can't remember if he ****ed up since then but wouldn't be surprised) so we'll say he's reformed now....lmao again

todd greenberg has already laid out the facts that if you can't represent the club both on and OFF the field, you WON'T be wearing the blue and white. be accountable for your actions or **** off

and if this bloke stays out of the papers for all the wrong reasons for the rest of his career then good on him

but if he was to do that, to then try and use hindsight for not picking up this player at this point in his career is rediculous. talk about grabbing any opportunity to get on your high horse and making an embarrassment of yourself. some might say you're an opportunist. some might not be so diplomatic

just like carney, grow up

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
going great guns in trial matches......yeah let's talk him up lmao

true enough though, we all know he has talent on the field and 'should' continue this form into the regular season, where it really counts

it's only been 2 months since he set fire to his mate (can't remember if he ****ed up since then but wouldn't be surprised) so we'll say he's reformed now....lmao again

todd greenberg has already laid out the facts that if you can't represent the club both on and OFF the field, you WON'T be wearing the blue and white. be accountable for your actions or **** off

and if this bloke stays out of the papers for all the wrong reasons for the rest of his career then good on him

but if he was to do that, to then try and use hindsight for not picking up this player at this point in his career is rediculous. talk about grabbing any opportunity to get on your high horse and making an embarrassment of yourself. some might say you're an opportunist. some might not be so diplomatic

just like carney, grow up
I understand where greenberg's coming from... But right now we are over-sensitive to all this off-field behaviour stuff. Carney just needed a few good role models to work with. Noddy could have taken him under his wing and nurtured his instability a bit. Some individuals need this sort of attention. And a bit of special attention is well worth it when you've got a potential Kangaroo 5/8. Imagine how good he could have been working with Noddy.

Now its all water under the bridge anyway... if we don't get Danny Mortimer, who is gonna replace Noddy???

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I understand where greenberg's coming from... But right now we are over-sensitive to all this off-field behaviour stuff. Carney just needed a few good role models to work with. Noddy could have taken him under his wing and nurtured his instability a bit. Some individuals need this sort of attention. And a bit of special attention is well worth it when you've got a potential Kangaroo 5/8. Imagine how good he could have been working with Noddy.

Now its all water under the bridge anyway... if we don't get Danny Mortimer, who is gonna replace Noddy???
Who's to say Carney would have listened to Noddy...

Hindsight is 20/20, but Carney's negatives far outweigh his football abilites

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Still a long way to go he has played 2 trial games and we still got him till 2013 and he is playing fullback hope he doesn't fk up with the roosters.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

we're not over-sensitive to this off-field stuff 'right now'

the comp has been sensitive to it for the better part of 10 years, not just recently. completely agree carney needed better people around him to guide him better, but he has to accept responsibility too

noddy would have been a great role model for him, but the jigsaw pieces didn't fit our puzzle.

that last question is the big one we've been looking at since sherwin left i guess. noddy is a great stop-gap for a couple/few years but we need to nail an organiser, long term. i dunno if dan is the man, we'll see how he goes this year (although he plans to make a decision on his next few years soon i think?)

here's hoping we sort it out in time

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we're not over-sensitive to this off-field stuff 'right now'

the comp has been sensitive to it for the better part of 10 years, not just recently. completely agree carney needed better people around him to guide him better, but he has to accept responsibility too

noddy would have been a great role model for him, but the jigsaw pieces didn't fit our puzzle.

that last question is the big one we've been looking at since sherwin left i guess. noddy is a great stop-gap for a couple/few years but we need to nail an organiser, long term. i dunno if dan is the man, we'll see how he goes this year (although he plans to make a decision on his next few years soon i think?)

here's hoping we sort it out in time
Well who is the man the man if dan isn't? Getting a good organising half is very rare these days. Carney certainly is in that mould. Great organiser, great tactical player. Jono Thurston is another. What are the chances we'll get him? I think young benny jones from the roosters has got the ability to guide a team around the paddock. He could be a great solution, and he'll come cheaper than the others as well. Perhaps one of the Keating boys from Parra might also be the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.