Recruitment

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I don’t think there’s much on offer and we are best having a good look at guys like Skelton, Wilson, Papalli’i etc. Save cash wisely.

Maybe Sele, but not on overs.
Johnson ain’t coming.
Massive no to Lodge
Massive NI FK’N WAY for May!!!

Based on the lack of availability and Thommo Flanagan moving on, I’d of kept Averillo and the decision is starting to make less sense. There is NO WAY Perham is a better option at FB. Unless there’s something going on Re the player movement that Gus has going, Averillo release didn’t make sense….

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I don’t think there’s much on offer and we are best having a good look at guys like Skelton, Wilson, Papalli’i etc. Save cash wisely.

Maybe Sele, but not on overs.
Johnson ain’t coming.
Massive no to Lodge
Massive NI FK’N WAY for May!!!

Based on the lack of availability and Thommo Flanagan moving on, I’d of kept Averillo and the decision is starting to make less sense. There is NO WAY Perham is a better option at FB. Unless there’s something going on Re the player movement that Gus has going, Averillo release didn’t make sense….
I don’t get the Averillo release either, hopefully it’s just that we’re not seeing the bigger picture yet, also I haven’t seen any comments on what Averillo was earning, how much does him moving on free up?

We’re not as far off as some think …. If the club could of some how used Flanagan, Thompsons, and a few others money to greatly bolster our engine room and then ran with a spine of Mahoney 9, Averillo 6, Burton 7, Crichton 1 and bought in an elite half’s coach … I think we’d win more than we’d lose ..

But again, hopefully there’s some surprises that unfold which explains whatever it is we are missing ..

Last edited:

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get the Averillo release either, hopefully it’s just that we’re not seeing the bigger picture yet, also I haven’t seen any comments on what Averillo was on, how much does his release free up?

We’re not as far off as some think …. If the club could of some how used Flanagan, Thompsons, and a few others money to greatly bolster our engine room and than ran with a spine of Mahoney 9, Averillo 6, Burton 7, Crichton 1 and bought in an elite half’s coach … I think we’d win more than we’d lose ..

But again, hopefully there’s some surprises that unfold which explains whatever it is we are missing ..
It seems the club is taking a gamble on Xerri panning out. Wouldn’t make sense to have averillo, xerri and alamoti all on decent contracts next year when one is likely to be in reserves.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It seems the club is taking a gamble on Xerri panning out. Wouldn’t make sense to have averillo, xerri and alamoti all on decent contracts next year when one is likely to be in reserves.
On the subject of centres, does anyone have any info on why Skelton has been overlooked to date - he’s consistently one of the most damaging players in Cup and possesses a wicked flick pass that often finds the wingers chest… surely he’s not that bad a defender given the Cup team has the best defence on record.

On recruitment, we need 2 or 3 experienced players helping these young blokes out - it seems RFM has failed as a club captain, he’s shown no leadership on the field and no talk of him leading the way at training either.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get that mate, if your looking at those 3 as centres .. with our lack of experience in the half’s, and the lack of 7’s on the market .. I’d of thought they’d move Averillo to 6 .. keep Burton @ 7 and bringing in an elite half’s coach, until a better solution came along .. or maybe that combination might have worked out for us ..

Last edited:

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Got to be training the house down. His stats fit the bill, 1.87 m, 100Kg. Alamotti is 1.83m, 100Kgs and Averillo is the odd one out, 1.83m, 92 Kg (about 10 kgs lighter than the rest), Bruns and Skelton both over 100kgs. Considering our lack of size clearly want bigger bodies centres to compensate.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the subject of centres, does anyone have any info on why Skelton has been overlooked to date - he’s consistently one of the most damaging players in Cup and possesses a wicked flick pass that often finds the wingers chest… surely he’s not that bad a defender given the Cup team has the best defence on record.

On recruitment, we need 2 or 3 experienced players helping these young blokes out - it seems RFM has failed as a club captain, he’s shown no leadership on the field and no talk of him leading the way at training either.
I can’t answer the Skelton question ..

But as far as I read, RFM was never meant to be an on field captain .. that’s Mahoney & Burtons role ..

My understanding was RFM was given a club leadership/captain role off field, in charge of cultural matters, seeing to different nationalities needs, leadership at team functions making sure players did the right thing and a person that the young blokes could go to … maybe I read it wrong ..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can’t answer the Skelton question ..

But as far as I read, RFM was never meant to be an on field captain .. that’s Mahoney & Burtons role ..

My understanding was RFM was given a club leadership/captain role off field, in charge of cultural matters, seeing to different nationalities needs, leadership at team functions making sure players did the right thing and a person that the young blokes could go to … maybe I read it wrong ..
Thanks mate, that was my understanding also but surely there’s a bit of extra motivation as Club Captain to show some work ethic on and off the field, run and tackle with more purpose, he seems to have missed the que of holistic leadership.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are desperate for a Shaun Johnson...make him an offer he can't and will not refuse !
Also we need 2 big bodies and a reliable backrow / lock
Eddie Blacker & Wiremu Greig would be on the cheap side
Ethan Bullemor
But who knows what Gus & CC are up to ???

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To all concerned this is the list of centres and possible centres we have.
Crichton, Burns, Xerri, Kiraz, Skelton, Perham, Quaid-Ward, Lino, Samrani, Hoffman.
Has anyone thought of Oloapu as a temporary centre, great defender and can move in attack...
Nah...I've checked I'm not going mad :laughing:

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are desperate for a Shaun Johnson...make him an offer he can't and will not refuse !
Also we need 2 big bodies and a reliable backrow / lock
Eddie Blacker & Wiremu Greig would be on the cheap side
Ethan Bullemor
But who knows what Gus & CC are up to ???
Johnson won’t come , tigers were trying to get him , but he doesn’t want to leave NZ again . It’s warriors or retirement for him

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks mate, that was my understanding also but surely there’s a bit of extra motivation as Club Captain to show some work ethic on and off the field, run and tackle with more purpose, he seems to have missed the que of holistic leadership.
He does seem to have missed that que mate … he used to play with such aggression … he’s lost that mongrel competitive edge, I can’t see it returning .. instead of Kumbaya sessions they need Browny in there slapping them around a bit with some raw meat ..

What’s Fitzy feeding them Sharks .. that whole squad has an abundance of competitive mongrel in it .. I think they’ve stolen our mojo, I want it back ..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He does seem to have missed that que mate … he used to play with such aggression … he’s lost that mongrel competitive edge, I can’t see it returning .. instead of Kumbaya sessions they need Browny in there slapping them around a bit with some raw meat ..

What’s Fitzy feeding them Sharks .. that whole squad has an abundance of competitive mongrel in it .. I think they’ve stolen our mojo, I want it back ..
Spot on mate, in his prime, a dangerous edge runner, not sure what’s changed - I heard the club is now looking to drive him out off the back of failed expectations (how true that is I don’t know) - as a whole, we lack natural aggression and our competitiveness is there in passages. Fox is our spiritual leader and energy guy, hard to pump up the boys on the wing…Reed is putting his body on the line and Presto/Morrin are goers, the others need to take something positive from those blokes.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Johnson won’t come , tigers were trying to get him , but he doesn’t want to leave NZ again . It’s warriors or retirement for him
Then, we can only hope for the best :smirk:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on mate, in his prime, a dangerous edge runner, not sure what’s changed - I heard the club is now looking to drive him out off the back of failed expectations (how true that is I don’t know) - as a whole, we lack natural aggression and our competitiveness is there in passages. Fox is our spiritual leader and energy guy, hard to pump up the boys on the wing…Reed is putting his body on the line and Presto/Morrin are goers, the others need to take something positive from those blokes.
If memory serves me correctly I think old mate Hasler traded Shaun Lane for him .. I was spewing at the time because I was sprouting off to my family, who are all Manly supporters, about what a real talent Lane was .. not the sharpest tool in the shed, but powerful hard runner, big tackle breaking aggressive type that was hard to stop .. meanwhile Lane eventually ended up at Manly one of my my most hated teams and was carving up, and RFM spent years out injured ..

Time keeps proving Lane to be the better more talented player .. I know there’s others, but Lane Cookie and Finucane are 3 players that I’m still filthy with Hasler for letting go .. and all 3 are still playing and carving up …. that Hasler has a lot to answer for …

Like you I’m loving Preston, and Morrin can be a gun for us at 13 if they pick and stick with him and give him the required coaching ..

We’ll get back there mate … hang in .. I trust Gould & Ciraldo .. just takes time to weed out these previous over paid bad buys and put that money where it will help us most ..

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is just a basic forward. Waste of time and money buying him
We need some basic forwards bro - he is not top tier but better then King and more consistent than TPJ. All depends on how much we get him for