Recipe help Habibi's

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Walla bro's, need help with a Lebo recipe.

I am making Kofta tonight (i am cool with this recipe), but want to make those Lebo green beans in the tomato sauce that i always get at the Lebo restuarants. Anyone hook me up with the recipe or the name of the dish so i can google it.

Shu lehs!!

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Are you talking about Fusuliyeh? (baked beans in tomato soup)

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Taze Fasulye: green beans in olive oil
This is another Turkish classic and one of our favourites. It’s a great way of dealing with the glut of runner beans at the end of the summer.

The Turks are picky about their beans, hence ‘taze fasulye’ literally ‘fresh beans’, preferably plucked straight from their vegetable garden. Many Turkish cooks will tell you it should take less than an hour from the moment they are picked to the time they are put in the pot. Oh to have one’s own personal bean plants just outside the kitchen door! In the absence of such, try visiting your local farmers market and sprinting back home.

Ingredients (serves: 6):

1 kg green beans (small fresh tender runner beans if at all possible)
250 ml extra virgin olive oil
3 medium sized chopped onions
2 large fresh peeled and flavourful tomatoes (alternatively one can of chopped tomatoes). Canned tomatoes are better than anaemic fresh ones!
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons sugar
Water to cover the beans

Preparation
Basic prep takes about 15 minutes. Cooking time is approx 1 hour. Fresh beans may need only 45 mins, but allow anything up to one and a half hours if the beans are older.

Top and tail the beans (many Turks do this by breaking the tips off rather than cutting. With lovely fresh beans this is a doddle, and can be faster than cutting), then string them and break them in half.

Pour the olive oil into a large pan and warm. Fry the onions until they are soft and translucent. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and add them to the onions (or pour in the can of already chopped tomatoes). Add the beans, salt and sugar. Mix well, and pour over enough water to cover the beans. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat. Cook the beans on a slow simmer for approx 1 hour until they are lovely and tender, and the sauce is well reduced. Try them for texture.

The Turks serve the beans once they have cooled down to room temperature (or even chilled), but they are also delicious served hot. Drizzle some olive oil on before serving. On our gulet cruises we often have the beans together with a fresh salad, natural yoghurt and Turkish rice (pilav).

Now for the important bit. Picture blue skies, bright golden sunshine, and a shimmering sea. If you’re in London or Seattle on a grey rainy day you’ll really need to let your imagination fly. Only when you’re in the right frame of mind should you try the beans. They should be tangy, tasty and above all Turkish!

Afiyet Olsun (Bon Appetit)!

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My mum buys the beans fresh, then somehow bakes it. I haven't seen the exact process she goes through.

You'll need to boil some dolo3 (lamb shoulders) and then add it into the fusuliyeh too. Don't forget to use parsley leaves for taste!

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL@Afiyet Olsun

Sikden lun!!!

BTW Brendan, the Turks do it a little different to us Lebs. Fark me 250ml of Olive Oil!

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
LOL@Afiyet Olsun

Sikden lun!!!

BTW Brendan, the Turks do it a little different to us Lebs. Fark me 250ml of Olive Oil!
LOL - I instantly thought of that Turkish wrestling ...... they pour gallons of that sh*t on !!!

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
LOL@Afiyet Olsun

Sikden lun!!!

This looks like what i always get served at my fave Lebo restuarant in Newtown. There it is a side dish though. The above recipe would feed Kim and i for a week lol. May have to halve it :p

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL - I instantly thought of that Turkish wrestling ...... they pour gallons of that sh*t on !!!
I guess thats what lead to the all-famous Turkish Hemam (bath)

This looks like what i always get served at my fave Lebo restuarant in Newtown. There it is a side dish though. The above recipe would feed Kim and i for a week lol. May have to halve it :p
I think I know which one you're talking about tbh. And it sounds quite yummy. 50% of the dish is like oil ay? lol

Hmmm turks

another case of rami claiming other cultures food as his own ha ha ha
Hey my ancestors are from Turkey down the line lol

Turks copied everything from Lebs btw hahahaa :p

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone told me that spaghetti or lasagne (cant remember which one) is actually a Leb dish before the Italians made it

No word of a lie lmaoooo

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Someone told me that spaghetti or lasagne (cant remember which one) is actually a Leb dish before the Italians made it

No word of a lie lmaoooo
and like how you guys stole the flat chicken from the portuguese and claimed it as your own???? :p

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
fasolyeh is not a turkish dish LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The origin of it is def of arab heritage. Stupid turks stealing from us again!

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
fasolyeh is not a turkish dish LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The origin of it is def of arab heritage. Stupid turks stealing from us again!
Aren't we all descendants from the Ottomans anyway? Same diff

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Aren't we all descendants from the Ottomans anyway? Same diff
doesnt mean we are turkish though!

its like telling someone this is a paki dish when its indian, even though once upon a time they were the same country :p

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
doesnt mean we are turkish though!

its like telling someone this is a paki dish when its indian, even though once upon a time they were the same country :p
yeh but how do you know it's not an Ottoman dish? Therefore both lebanese and turks can claim it as their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.