Opinion Reasons to be Optimistic About Potential Signings, Team’s Future Identity and Direction

Meister

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hope you’re all in good health and spirits!

After another turbulent year of footy, and the lack of big props on the market. If all of the signings come to fruition, specifically utilities, I understand the reasoning behind these utility sighings and think/feel it’s a really smart approach!

All utilities:

Have a wealth of NRL experience and mostly come from good systems.

Pretty much cover every position from the backs and forwards in a pinch.

Have decent tackle efficiencies.

Extremely mobile and skilful whilst also being big enough to hold their own.

Yes some props will be handy, we only need 2-3 decent ones to join (I.e., Taukeiaho, Twal/Sipley) as I think we’ll be a team that will be playing fast, ball playing with decoys with a lot more free reign and direction while having a squad that’s filled with players who are hard working, hard nosed, competitive, committed and know the benefits of training the house down, how success is built and what it looks like.

Which can only be a positive for our young pups coming through, especially the ones that are already fielding success….It will allow them to level up a lot quicker.

Always Proud to be a Bulldog,

Meister

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well its great that you have a positive outlook.Hearing Cameron talking to Jason Taylor shows our coach is not in denial. The coaching staff at present has done what it can and now is searching for a result in a different direction. Similar to Brad Arthur did at Parramatta when their halves were performing poorly. Bringing in Andrew Johns changed everything for Dylan Brown and Mitchel Moses.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think next year is a small step forward, but lets not get our hopes up too much (not being pessimistic here). So we went from a team that capped out at park footballer level (probably had 5-6 nrl standard players and the rest were barley NSW cup players). We have/are removing some dead wood brining in supposedly good trainers, but we just lift the standard from park football to NSW cup/Bench standard. Critchon is the big name signing, but who has won a premiership due to an outside back? Doesnt happen.

In support of the coach and club (and Gus), we were a club in shambles, previous coaches, staff, directors, ceos never did anything to make us competitive. They all wanted the quick fix and thats not the way for long term success. Looking at the flegg team, looking at the u15s and 18s you can see the team is getting stronger. Gus came in to fix our pathways, he has said it so many times. He has had to oversee a lot of our NRL sqaud because we are so hopeless (we havent been a NRL standard quality team since about 2015-2016). I am sure with the right timeframe he will get us firing again (look at our Flegg boys for example). I just hope the heat is kept on the players and not on the coach and Gus. Like yeh copping 66 points is the GM's fault who has been here for 2 years or the coaches fault who was here for 9 months. I think if Ciraldo ran out he would show way more heart then 1/3 of the squad. If players dont buy in the ship them off, which is what is happening one way or another.

Things are moving forward, but ill be pleasantly surprised if we crack the top 10 next year.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club needs to sign Twal/McLean and Mooney/Mariota. At least 2 more forwards.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think next year is a small step forward, but lets not get our hopes up too much (not being pessimistic here). So we went from a team that capped out at park footballer level (probably had 5-6 nrl standard players and the rest were barley NSW cup players). We have/are removing some dead wood brining in supposedly good trainers, but we just lift the standard from park football to NSW cup/Bench standard. Critchon is the big name signing, but who has won a premiership due to an outside back? Doesnt happen.

In support of the coach and club (and Gus), we were a club in shambles, previous coaches, staff, directors, ceos never did anything to make us competitive. They all wanted the quick fix and thats not the way for long term success. Looking at the flegg team, looking at the u15s and 18s you can see the team is getting stronger. Gus came in to fix our pathways, he has said it so many times. He has had to oversee a lot of our NRL sqaud because we are so hopeless (we havent been a NRL standard quality team since about 2015-2016). I am sure with the right timeframe he will get us firing again (look at our Flegg boys for example). I just hope the heat is kept on the players and not on the coach and Gus. Like yeh copping 66 points is the GM's fault who has been here for 2 years or the coaches fault who was here for 9 months. I think if Ciraldo ran out he would show way more heart then 1/3 of the squad. If players dont buy in the ship them off, which is what is happening one way or another.

Things are moving forward, but ill be pleasantly surprised if we crack the top 10 next year.
We have to trust the process.Gus won’t come out and say it but we were in worst shape than the panthers when he arrived there years ago. Don’t forget people bagged him for moving on players that had been there a while taking up a lot of there salary cap.
A lot of players came to us for the money.Gus is no fool and he has moved on a lot of them.TPJ was one of them and you can’t blame him for the cash grab.
Let’s hope some of the players that are coming onboard buy into the systems that Gould and ciraldo are putting in place.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Probably one of the most decent assessment of our club/team on the kennel recently. Good post mate.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Great post, I see us at 10-12th next year it will be another development year for mine, I think Gus has some tricks up his sleeve for 25.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post, I see us at 10-12th next year it will be another development year for mine, I think Gus has some tricks up his sleeve for 25.
Agree with this. I just want to see a team that competes and has heart. I don’t have any expectations of playing September football next year. Just to get my Bulldogs identity back and grow in 25 & 26.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Our juniors have been decent for a while

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Every year gonna be a development year when we pole axe 14 players a year

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree with this. I just want to see a team that competes and has heart. I don’t have any expectations of playing September football next year. Just to get my Bulldogs identity back and grow in 25 & 26.
Agree. If we had only tackled a little better this year, we might have finished higher up the ladder.

I'm hoping that the new signings will tighten up the appalling defence; but I am not expecting to see us threaten the top eight.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably lacking 2 genuine props in our rotation . They don't have to be superstars just blokes who can defend our line be disciplined and make decent enough yardage. We probably still need to add some game management into mix at 7 so that Burton get back to being a running 6 and Mahoney can get back to just throwing bullet passes off the ground. What they do best and unfortunately this year I think at times they performed poorly as as a result of trying to be something they are not . This will hopefully get us playing better footy .

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Taaffe, Critta ,and Cheery ripe will all be a big positive!!
For what it's worth, I think Taaffe will make a big difference to our attack next year and I hope he plays FB. I think Burto suffered by being the only point of attack for so long. Got swarmed by defences knowing it was only him, had few options, then gave up and went missing. With Taaffe at FB, a genuine threat to the line, can pass, kicks and I'm hoping Critta on the edges, then Burton runs more, hits Kiks at speed more and Sexy is a little wider not getting monstered by middles. Taaffe sweeping with Critta, Burton, and Kiks on one side and Preston, Xerri on the other is more strike, more threat to a defensive line.

I'm more positive about some of the "utilities" because they can all ball play. It adds dimension to our attack, skills to our rotations and they can tackle, which goodness knows we need. It's no magic bullet, but they are all skillful hard-working players

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless the forwards do their job - even if they just match other teams it will make a lot of difference - not much will change. I expect they will but id be more confident if there were more fg ready middles in the roster

I hope Taffe gets an opportunity at half - he has done well at fb for Souths but i sense he has much more to offer.

I also believe that better players like Mahoney/ Kikau/ JAC suffered from trying to do too much because they had very little trust in others - whether it was kicking too much, going for intercepts or low percentage offloads - sometimes less is more.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm too scarred from the past few seasons to be optimistic. Sorry!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Be interesting to see who gets the nod in the halves for next year out of Sexton, Hutchinson and even Taaffe.

personally, I’d rather Critta in the centres with Taaffe at fullback who can ball play…. Hutcho might steal Sexton’s spot due to being a better defender and kicker