Real Talk

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The negativity on here is off the charts. Some positivity would be nice aye?

So real talk, I was very impressed with our first hit out for the new season. Considering how many new players/combinations we have, the fluency in attack was amazing. Some of the tries we scored were very sharp.

Burton as usual cops most of the criticism, with a lot of it unwarranted. Watch the game again without a hate boner and he actually does his job ok. He played about 45 minutes and setup Xerri who went within a whisker of scoring, then he dummied and almost scored himself. Thos was far from a fail. Can he do better? Of course but it was a 45 minute performance in a trial ffs. Plenty of the squad didn’t impress. Mahoney and Preston for example.

I thought Mahoney got in the way too much, as did Salmon. Hutchison was good(ish) in his directness, but he doesn’t offer much else. Sexton offers more spark, but not so much composure. Add Taaffe and in the first half we had Hutch, Salmon, Mahoney and Taaffe all touching the ball too much, particularly Mahoney and Taaffe. Burton is hated on as usual, but they only went down the left 5 or 6 times while he was on.

The point of a trial is to test players and combinations, as well as systems and tactics. It gave Ciro heaps to work with. He actually has options! The most impressive thing about the game was how committed and intense we were in defence, especially the young guys, many of whom also impressed in attack. Heyward was clean as hooker, Papa, O’Neill, Todd and Hayes all shined and for his first game in 4 frickin years, Xerri really warmed into the match and will only improve.

The only issues I see is the selection headaches Ciro has and the lack of depth in the forwards. I am worried less however about our front row stocks after seeing a good performance by Hughes and Poasa. King was solid and Knight can be decent when he cuts out the bullshit. I’d say he or Sutton is a toss up for a bench prop. Or neither may be needed if Patolo or Todd can stand up.

I like Taffy’s involvement and positional game, I don’t however like his attacking in the backline, hence I’m still favouring Tracey at the back. The starting pack for me would be Max, Reed, Poasa, Kiks, Presto, Curran, Hutch, Hughes, Kautoga, Sutton/Knight. I reckon Ciro will pick Hitch at 7 though because he covers a few positions and Sex only plays 7. You still need a utility on the bench though in case he gets injured.

Heads up doggies fans, this was way more encouraging than last year’s trials. We haven’t even seen many of our big guns yet.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Real talk , you just put down reed and Preston and praised burton?
Seriously I love burton and want him to kill it but yesterday’s performance was nonexistent,
Salmon and Hughes surprised me the most TBH. Knight was putrid hope he can lift 10 folds.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
More than impressed with most of the boys, especially the young pups, they played brilliantly. Was a real team effort and we haven’t seen that in many years. Special mention to XERRI , 4 years out of the game to come back an do what he did - was amazing!!

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is just as much postivity as there is negativity thats warranted when looking at yesterday, sometimes you can't sugar coat a turd.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real talk , you just put down reed and Preston and praised burton?
Seriously I love burton and want him to kill it but yesterday’s performance was nonexistent,
Salmon and Hughes surprised me the most TBH. Knight was putrid hope he can lift 10 folds.
I said he did his job ok. How is that praise? lol

The ball only went to him 5 or 6 times. Most ball was going right via Salmon, Hutch and Taffy.

Despite only getting limited ball, Burton created two almost tries. He drew and passed to Xerri and went himself. Both of them stopped centimetres from the try line. How are people unable to acknowledge this? He was hardly great, but he still managed to get us close to scoring two tries. In what world is that “nonexistent”?

Anyway, as usual his performance is highlighted when there was 20 odd more players involved. Let’s focus 9n the TEAM. If we base it purely on individuals, we’d be picking Papa, O’Neill and Heyward lol.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t hate Burton. I actually think there is a very very good footballer there. I know it’s only a trial, I just wish someone would shake the fk out of him, because once he “gets” it, he could be unplayable for the opposition given his size, strength and speed

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
More than impressed with most of the boys, especially the young pups, they played brilliantly. Was a real team effort and we haven’t seen that in many years. Special mention to XERRI , 4 years out of the game to come back an do what he did - was amazing!!
Crichton and Xerri will be the best centre duo this season

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have to give credit to IBS dog, it was silly of me to discredit him last night. Burton is pathetic though, the mental gymnastics from some is hilarious.
He was very good and he looked comfortable

I hope Knight just had one of those "off" nights as he was terrible

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have to give credit to IBS dog, it was silly of me to discredit him last night. Burton is pathetic though, the mental gymnastics from some is hilarious.
Agree Salmon was very good last night and surprised me tbh and yes you're mental gymnastics re Burton are hilarious.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was very good and he looked comfortable

I hope Knight just had one of those "off" nights as he was terrible
Na Knight is just bad, only really played okay under Wayne and been shit under anyone else. Doesn't sound like he's even in our 17 ATM.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree Salmon was very good last night and surprised me tbh and yes you're mental gymnastics re Burton are hilarious.
Burton is terrible, the bloke literally can't pass a ball. The sooner Ciraldo puts his big boys pants on and makes the call that needs to be made the sooner we can move on and improve as a club. Burton was embarrassed by every other half that lined up for us last night.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree that he won't be in the 17
Gus desperately needed to land us another prop for this season. Right now I'd rank our props as King, Hughes and Famasalami with everyone else below them barely worth mentioning. Curran will probably spend some time as part of the rotation when Mann or Salmon shift to lock.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton is terrible, the bloke literally can't pass a ball. The sooner Ciraldo puts his big boys pants on and makes the call that needs to be made the sooner we can move on and improve as a club. Burton was embarrassed by every other half that lined up for us last night.
"Literally can't pass a ball" This here tells me you have a hate problem. Is it because he is taller then you?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Crichton and Xerri will be the best centre duo this season
Yup agree

XERRI needs to be on the left and that number 4 is his number. He’s already claimed it and has the right to stay put.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
"Literally can't pass a ball" This here tells me you have a hate problem. Is it because he is taller then you?
Yes he literally can't pass a ball. Try watching him, dead set fucks almost every play with his shit passing. That is if he hasn't already fucked it up by running (more like walking) his outside men out of space.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not saying he can’t pass the ball but it does look like he is moving in slow motion.