Quick play the balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why are we the only team that can't get quick play the balls.
Is it cause other teams are aloud to sleep in the ruck and get away with it, or we are just lazy to get up quick ?

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard Gould mention something about "...three consecutive 8 second play-the-balls", think it was in the lead up to HT.
Combined with our lack of urgency around the ruck, the Roosters were laying all over us at times.

I envy Storm supporters, nearly every tackle there is urgency to get that quick play-the-ball.
Even S. Burgess was mentioned to have said something about "...stats guy indicating 1.5 seconds longer held down in tackles"

~c.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
lol but would be nice to know why.
Something that I noticed live at the game is the amount of wrestling the roosters were doing in the tackle whereas we were jumping straight off, almost as if we were scared of being penalised...

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Heard Gould mention something about "...three consecutive 8 second play-the-balls", think it was in the lead up to HT.
Combined with our lack of urgency around the ruck, the Roosters were laying all over us at times.

I envy Storm supporters, nearly every tackle there is urgency to get that quick play-the-ball.
Even S. Burgess was mentioned to have said something about "...stats guy indicating 1.5 seconds longer held down in tackles"

~c.
I think it might be one of Des's tactics slow play the ball to ensure that we don't make mistakes lol.
But can you imagine if every player tried to get to there feet and have a quick play the ball,
Will be a different team.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Something that I noticed live at the game is the amount of wrestling the roosters were doing in the tackle whereas we were jumping straight off, almost as if we were scared of being penalised...
We are the only team that doesn't wrestle that's why other team can play the ball quiker.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why are we the only team that can't get quick play the balls.
Is it cause other teams are aloud to sleep in the ruck and get away with it, or we are just lazy to get up quick ?
A bit of both mate. Teams like the Roosters, Broncos, Sharks and Storm lay in a tackle for an eternity. The NRL did address this to an extent a few years ago when they decreed that ALL players involved in a tackle had to get off the tackled player at the same time to stop the tactic of 'peeling off" thus delaying the play the ball. That lasted all of five seconds and you see what we have today where player one will get up to his feet, while player still is still in the tackle , grab player twos jersey and pull him to his feet. You know Des....Mr Completion; no errors in the play the ball so do it carefully. Kills us each and every time. We also tend to get called off a lot quicker too and you can hear the ref straight away call our blokes up.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You have to look at the players. Neither Tolman nor Graham are particularly agile and so they just don't try and get up off the ground with the speed that others do. The backrowers go OK and Klemm is not too bad but the benchies aren't really good at getting up either although Kas is probably the quickest of all our blokes. It's not about coaching because every fool knows the quicker you get up the better for your side. They just don't do it.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well when you have players with no size , strength, speed and agility the question answers itself.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it might be one of Des's tactics slow play the ball to ensure that we don't make mistakes lol.
But can you imagine if every player tried to get to there feet and have a quick play the ball,
Will be a different team.
My thoughts, precisely! Especially at crucial points when Elliot & Frawley screwed their attempts at play the ball.
#underdone.

No one seems to operate at an energy level adequate enough to foster fast/efficient play the ball to attack while D is back-tracking.
hash tag PLOD

~c.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other thing our less agile forwards don't do is kick out or wriggle their legs when defenders lay all over them. This is generally a sign to refs that you're trying to quickly get up but are being held down.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
My thoughts, precisely! Especially at crucial points when Elliot & Frawley screwed their attempts at play the ball.
#underdone.

No one seems to operate at an energy level adequate enough to foster fast/efficient play the ball to attack while D is back-tracking.
hash tag PLOD

~c.
Spot on

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The other thing our less agile forwards don't do is kick out or wriggle their legs when defenders lay all over them. This is generally a sign to refs that you're trying to quickly get up but are being held down.
I saw klemmer do a few times ivs the roosters ref done nothing.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lucky they don't have to roll the ball with the boot now or it would be even slower for the big fellas, depends on what stage of the game it is, comes down to urgency, keeping it alive for 80 would be hard.

Sherlock Holmes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With Tolman and Graham on at the same time we don't have that punch through the middle which allows for the defense to get set and get extra men in the tackles to slow it down.. this is why we need RFM at lock and have klemmer at prop with either Tolman or Graham so we can have a bit more punch and get the team rolling forward

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We haven't had a quick play the ball since 2004.
And tbh, if we got one, lichaa probably wouldn't be in the same postcode.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know what I'm about to say just sounds like another those biased referees are always picking on my poor little Bulldogs whinge; but its not.

I couldn't count the number of times I've seen the Dogs get pinged for laying on the opposition for less time than they've laid on us. Especially when our hard nuts like Graham, Klemmer (not so much now) and Jackson introduced an opposition player to the ground with enough force to made the stands rattle.

I think our guys just get off the tackled player ASAP otherwise the penalty count against us would look like a phone number. It would be great if we copied the Storm's "get off slowly one at a time" technique, but we haven't.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

~c.
I remember hearing this too, but im sure it was in reference to players just laying all over the ball player. It was happening all match and it actually got worse and worse. It was as though sutton had set a precedent so he didnt want to reneg. But it got to the point of being rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.