Status
Not open for further replies.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Ponting expected to resign
Daniel Brettig

March 29, 2011

Ricky Ponting is expected to announce his resignation as Australian captain later on Tuesday. Time has been reserved at the SCG for a "major announcement involving a senior Australian player" at 1pm Sydney time.

The team for the Australia tour of Bangladesh is not expected to be named until Wednesday, but Ponting's announcement should allow Michael Clarke to assume the captaincy on the trip, before difficult assignments against Sri Lanka and South Africa later in the year.

On his arrival home from an unsuccessful World Cup defence, Ponting had said he was prepared to give up the captaincy and also move down the batting order if it was in the interests of the Australian team.

"If that is what they and I believe is the best way forward for Australian cricket, that's the way it has always been," Ponting said, "Whatever I have done in the role to this date has always been with Cricket Australia backing - it is not as though I pick myself as captain. I am picked as captain every tour we have been on for the past six or seven years and thoroughly enjoyed that.

"But if there is someone out there better and more suited to the role than me right now then I have no problems at all about that."

Glancing towards Bangladesh, Ponting was adamant in his enthusiasm for the sort of tour he might have been rested from in earlier years. "I will go to Bangladesh if selected, the team hasn't been picked yet, and I will look forward to that tour then have a decent break after that to prepare for Sri Lanka and South Africa and the Australian summer.

"As I have said for a number of months now I have never seen a finish line, I have never come up with a time or a date or a game that might be my last. What I want to do is focus my time and energies to be the best player I can be."

At 36, Ponting believes he can still enjoy the type of renaissance that has sustained Sachin Tendulkar in recent times.

"I will know the right time for me not to be playing but I haven't found that time just yet; I guess with making runs in this last game and getting that good feeling back about my batting again might be the kick start for a bit of a Tendulkar-type rebirth if you like."

Ponting has held the Australian Test and limited-overs captaincy since he took over from Steve Waugh in 2004, beginning his tenure with a 3-0 defeat of Sri Lanka. But his fortunes have waned along with those of the team as a series of retirements weakened its resources, culminating in the humiliation of a 3-1 home Ashes defeat in 2010-11.
Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo

Feeds: Daniel Brettig
© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Last edited by a moderator:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I LOL'ed a little at the title.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
i think he;s been harshly treated by the media, and at time when his team has had a very high turnover rate of players, he's done his best to lead from the front. He was at the peak of his powers from 2002-2008, and granted has been out of form recently, but i think his most recent century proved that he is still capable of scoring hundreds and more runs, and this will be a blessing in disguise for him, as it has proven with players liek tendulkar, who had had a new lease of life and even increased their averages and runs scored.. i expect this to have same effect for Ponting, so look out

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they do not pick him for the Bangledesh Tests they are mental midgets

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i thought it was just ODIs vs Bangladesh?

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Ricky Ponting steps down as Australian captain but will continue as batsman

Ricky Ponting, the most successful captain in 134 years of test cricket, resigned as the Australian test and one-day skipper on Tuesday but aims to continue playing the game at the highest level.

The 36-year-old made his announcement at a press conference in Sydney, days after arriving back in Australia following his side's World Cup quarter-final defeat to co-hosts India.

He intends to play on for Australia and predicted his form could improve without the pressure of the captaincy, while Ponting also backed Michael Clarke to take on the leadership role.

Despite being Test cricket's most successful captain of all-time, and Australia's most prolific run-scorer, Ponting still had to field questions about the three Ashes series defeats he suffered while in charge.

He said: "I'd like to think that through my playing time I've achieved a whole lot more than that. Whether that be as a player or as a captain of this side. It's funny how we talk about losing the Ashes three times.

"Playing in three World Cup-winning teams never comes up very often, winning 16 consecutive Test matches doesn't come up very often, winning 30-odd consecutive World Cup games doesn't come up very often, but that's the world we live in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...ian-captain-but-will-continue-as-batsman.html

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
wow end of an era, oh well change may be what Australian cricket needed...

Maza

Reaction score
"Playing in three World Cup-winning teams never comes up very often, winning 16 consecutive Test matches doesn't come up very often, winning 30-odd consecutive World Cup games doesn't come up very often, but that's the world we live in.

Kind of feel bad for him, he done well.

Love how people "retire" right before they're stood down, don't see how it saves face when it's been public for ages.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Australias best bastman since Bradman however the last 2 years have been a nightmare for him.

Aweful form slump, back to back ashes humiliations and making many wrong moves in the public eye, he is there for the paycheque and I cant blame him.

Now you guys are stuck with Michelle Bingle, a guy who is despised by his teammates as well as the public, cant manage his bungle relationships and rates these priority over his cricket (leaving NZ tour to deal with bingle) and general inability with the bat when it matters.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Australias best bastman since Bradman however the last 2 years have been a nightmare for him.

Aweful form slump, back to back ashes humiliations and making many wrong moves in the public eye, he is there for the paycheque and I cant blame him.

Now you guys are stuck with Michelle Bingle, a guy who is despised by his teammates as well as the public, cant manage his bungle relationships and rates these priority over his cricket (leaving NZ tour to deal with bingle) and general inability with the bat when it matters.
Wow, tell us how much you really hate Clarke lol

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score

Is that fact?

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is that fact?
Spat with Katich (Katich grabbed him by the throat lulz)
Spat with Hussey regarding selections during NZ tour
Spat with Symonds (not in the team anymore)
Not so documented run in Watson in Ashes when Clarke vetoed his field placings and basically told Ponting where to put fielders despite him previously agreeing with Watson.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Left a NZ tour to be with ****face bingle

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Gotta say I was really disappointed when he announced he was stepping down. I think at this point in time he is the best man to be leading the team. Have never ever rated Clarke as captain material and I am yet to see anything which is going to change my mind.

Many people say that Ponting was only successful because of the team he had but I would have to disagree with this. Yes he had some absolute superstars of the game in Warne, McGrath and Gilly but it still takes someone to bring them altogether and work together as a team. Just like in football, you can have a team of superstars but it will still go nowhere if you don't have the right person in charge and I think Ponting has done an outstanding job at get the most out of these players and alot of the success of them team I think comes down to him

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Gotta say I was really disappointed when he announced he was stepping down. I think at this point in time he is the best man to be leading the team. Have never ever rated Clarke as captain material and I am yet to see anything which is going to change my mind.

Many people say that Ponting was only successful because of the team he had but I would have to disagree with this. Yes he had some absolute superstars of the game in Warne, McGrath and Gilly but it still takes someone to bring them altogether and work together as a team. Just like in football, you can have a team of superstars but it will still go nowhere if you don't have the right person in charge and I think Ponting has done an outstanding job at get the most out of these players and alot of the success of them team I think comes down to him
Shane Warne would have been a better captain than Punter...

Any monkey could have won when you have players like Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, Hussey in his 'mr cricket' prime and 2 of the best bowlers the world has ever seen in McGrath and Warne. Ponting didn't have to 'bring them together', Steve Waugh left him a juggernaut of a team ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.