Protesters hurl soup at the ‘Mona Lisa’ in Paris

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If you didn't think that these damn environmental protestors were as dumb as bat shit to begin with, you probably will now.

CNN —
Protesters hurled soup at the “Mona Lisa” painting in Paris on Sunday, but it was protected from damage by its glass casing.

The environmental group Riposte Alimentaire — which roughly translates to “Food Response” — said two protesters involved with its campaign were behind the vandalism.

A video of the incident shows the demonstrators throwing orange-colored soup from bottles before ducking beneath a protective barrier to address onlookers. “What is more important: art or the right to a healthy and sustainable diet?” one is heard asking.

Staff members at the Louvre are then seen moving black screens between visitors and the protesters.

The museum evacuated the “Salle des Etats” room, which houses the “Mona Lisa,” though it has since reopened.

“Two activists from the environmental movement ‘Riposte Alimentaire’ sprayed pumpkin soup on the armoured glass protecting the Mona Lisa, this Sunday, January 28, 2024, around 10am (4am ET),” a statement from the museum said. “The Louvre’s security staff immediately intervened.”

The museum said it was lodging a complaint.

Wahesh

Reaction score
So... not only did they hurl soup at a glass casing which can easily be cleaned stain-free (or replaced), but they also attacked a FAKE portrait (the real one is not on display). All they achieved by doing this was show the world why people hate them, and they continue to do more harm to themselves than good.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
France and Belgium is the asshole of Western Europe!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I like it better have you seen the painting in real life it’s shit..
Obviously you have done better?
But I do agree.
I don't know why it so famous for?
Just because she looks like she's had a stroke it's intriguing?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
But I do agree.
It’s the first portrait of that era to show a bit of human emotion or something but when I went and saw it we all know it’s small I waited patiently for my turn and i just wanted to look at it for 10 seconds but I got physically pushed out of the way by aJapanese bloke quite aggressively so he could take a photo. I politely put a 2010’s era Sonny Bill Williams shoulder charge back and he hit the marble floor. Show some respect prick. I walked off and nothing happened apart for me feeling like an idiot tourist. He was fine by the way.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I loved that they were protesting about unsustainable food production and hunger in France.

Yet wasted food by throwing it at a painting. :tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

Reaction score
But I do agree.
The painting was only worth $25,000 BEFORE it was stolen (and no one even knew what it was). Then when it was stolen, the owner or whatever decided how much he really wanted it back, and the price went up from there. It's worth close to a billion dollars today (about USD $970,000,000) - all because it was stolen :tonguewink:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah, they are idiots, IMHO. This sort of behaviour may get them on the news, but it does absolutely nothing to positively advance the push for a transition to renewables. All it does is anger people and make them less receptive to their message. Own goal city.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, they are idiots, IMHO. This sort of behaviour may get them on the news, but it does absolutely nothing to positively advance the push for a transition to renewables. All it does is anger people and make them less receptive to their message. Own goal city.
Thank you!

Always say all protests just piss off more and more people and turn them against whatever they are whinging about.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Thank you!

Always say all protests just piss off more and more people and turn them against whatever they are whinging about.
Well, a well judged protest can work wonders....just get a Ouija board and ask the suffragettes, MLK or Gandhi.

I do fundamentally believe in the value and potential power of protesting. But a good protester also needs to have the ability to read the room. Splashing a drink on a work of art or taking a nap on a highway just has the opposite of the intended effect.

Protesting an issue like climate change is pretty tricky, mind you. Especially in this modern ago of questioning science and authority. It's not as real and tangible to a lot of people as a suffrage or civil rights movement. It's the type of thing you either believe or don't believe in. So really, they are preaching to the converted, and even a lot of the converted are rolling their eyes lol

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There needs to be more legislative action against protesters who cause damage to property.
It's getting out of control and the judiciary turn a bling eye.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They would know it is protected by glass. All such art works are. Its not exactly a secret.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They would know it is protected by glass. All such art works are. Its not exactly a secret.
They also know that bizarre stunts get put on the international news media because the average punter is drawn to them, therefore media gives it airtime to get the eyeballs and the advertising dollars that flow from it. Anyone who legit thinks it is dumb should ignore it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They also know that bizarre stunts get put on the international news media because the average punter is drawn to them, therefore media gives it airtime to get the eyeballs and the advertising dollars that flow from it. Anyone who legit thinks it is dumb should ignore it.
That's the thing isn't it - they are not intending to actually cause any damage to the artwork, just draw attention, and they got it. The only "damage" is a bit of a cleanup and some embarrassed security staff at the louvre.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Assuming their objective was to get on international news, it would seem they were successful... they even got their own thread on TK...
Flanagun summed it up perfectly...

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yet those people are such dumb dopes that they probably wouldn't even know that. Why else would they throw something so useless at it?