Protecting the Player and Duty of Care

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are not applauding kamikaze blind side dog shots when a bloke steams in and jumps into a tackle... There is no place in this sport for it and it needs to go!

Who would want there kid to play a sport knowing one day he might get his skull crushed from a similiar hit..

RUB IT OUT! REWARD LEGS TACKLES FFS.
100%, for me it’s a tackling technique problem. Grab up top, await help to slow the play the ball down. I feel little changes like this may slowly rid our game of this tactic.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he’s taught to bend his back as a kid that contact one on one never happens. This is a technique issue and it’s the reason I quit coaching junior reps, because the technique was forced on to coaches across the code and I can only speak for Queensland but The administration of the QRL where too piss weak to fight it. There has always been and always will be collision injuries in Rugby league but this rash of head clash injuries was always going to happen and the NRL was told it was going to happen by more than one person 15 years ago.
Best hitter in the game Jake Trborivich, never has this issue. I know it’s a silly comparison, yet there’s proper technique right there.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Completely agree, a decent legs tackle should be called dominant, plus any player lashing out after a legs tackle should be put on report and penalised.

Always a Bulldog
I would love to see this.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Completely agree, a decent legs tackle should be called dominant, plus any player lashing out after a legs tackle should be put on report and penalised.

Always a Bulldog
100% instead they penalise a player like Crighton who was in the exact same position as May a couple of weeks ago yet went low, chopped the bloke in half and got penalised because he hung on to leg trying to slow him down...

I dont wish it on the sport but the sport is border lining getting sued for being so dumb and incompetent.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone knows accidents happen, I think most are fine with that and just happy to have the ref call play on, it’s when one gets penalised and the other doesn’t that people start scratching their heads and asking questions.

Not sure if people watched the Manly Roosters game last week, Roosters player barely touched a player in the air contesting the ball and it was a penalty straight away, yet Taaffe has his legs taken out mid air and it’s play on .. why is consistency so hard, they have the on field ref and a few in the bunker, why can’t the bunker give the on field ref the heads up that that player was taken out and a penalty was warranted in that instance, they can call up other incidents when they feel like it ..

Sometimes I feel controversial things in Bulldogs games sells papers and click bait all next week so they’re fine with it … that’s all I can come up with for some of the ridiculous calls that have gone against us in the past ..

When have you ever seen the bunker call a forward pass, they did against us ..
when has a try ever been disallowed because of ref obstruction, was against us.
The allowed try to warriors last season was an obstruction every day of the week, not against us ..

I could go on and on about one off ridiculous calls like this, in Toovey style, there’s got to be an investigation ..

Sent from my iPad using The Kennel mobile app

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If somebody blind side hit me like that I would stomp on his fcuken head for being such a dip shit *****... Its a dog shit meat head attempt at a tackle and nothing elegant about it.
Rofl sure you would champ

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Walsh is a good looking bloke (I think) and May is gay, a bit toey and hasn't had much 4 a while.

These things happen in the Eastern Suburbs all the time. Time to move on....

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sure I do… internet tough guy right?
Hahaha... I don't even know how to reply to you dip shit? You come at me, patronize me, I say lets me up and you'll use your wonderful moderator staff member powers to ban me... Whose the internet tough guy?

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahaha... I don't even know how to reply to you dip shit? You come at me, patronize me, I say lets me up and you'll use your wonderful moderator staff member powers to ban me... Whose the internet tough guy?
Well no, I made a comment, then you carried on like a little girl with a scraped knee, doing your internet chest beating, so I called you out on it and you then proceed to pull the “YoU dONt KnOw WhO I aM” card, which I found doubly hilarious.

Now you want to meet up?? Sorry bro, I’m married. I’m flattered though. No doubt your Prince Charming is out there somewhere.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well no, I made a comment, then you carried on like a little girl with a scraped knee, doing your internet chest beating, so I called you out on it and you then proceed to pull the “YoU dONt KnOw WhO I aM” card, which I found doubly hilarious.

Now you want to meet up?? Sorry bro, I’m married. I’m flattered though. No doubt your Prince Charming is out there somewhere.
You people make me smile.. walk away knowing deep down what just happened.

Enjoy getting bent over by the Mrs champ.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You people make me smile.. walk away knowing deep down what just happened.

Enjoy getting bent over by the Mrs champ.
Cool story bro

And what do you mean “you people?” You being racist now as well? tsk tsk

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
McAnus had no technique in his tackle on FarmerSilly.

If he bent his knees and lowered his point of contact he makes a textbook tackle. Instead McAnus thinks he is an alpha who can mix it with the forwards so he went in with zero technique or thought. He just got lucky he didn't KO himself.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
By the time they get to the NRL, players know full well their chances of being injured, they sign contracts that spell out the risks that they are willingly to take. They have had hundreds of sessions with club player welfare officers explaining the risks. Players are not ignorant of what they are exposing their bodies to, they play the game with that knowledge and have agreed to accepting the risks. If they don’t want to risk it then then can simply choose not to play, to take on some other vocation.

Of course this was not always the case, but it is now, players play knowing what can happen to them, today, tomorrow and for the rest of their lives.

Always a Bulldog
Agree entirely. Players are more than aware of the risks.
The NRL has responsibility for providing a safe workplace.
I just watched the Fox 'mini' and heard the commentators talking about May's 'duty of care'.

The NRL has primary duty of care to provide a safe workplace.
If it is proven to be negligent in providing a safe workplace, then it is potentially liable.
We have seen the type of 'tackle' May made last night quite a bit over the past season or two. It seems to be coming more common. And it is right to say players are not ignorant of what they are exposing their bodies to.
Even while the consequent impacts are increasingly sickening.
The NRL has a duty of care to identify the dangers posed by increased frequency of these 'tackles' and to take appropriate action.
If it doesn't then it runs the risk of being proven negligent and liable for damages.
So the NRL's problem is negligence (not duty of care which is clearly established).
May, and any other player using this technique is just doing what they have been trained to do.
Players who are injured by it are, as you say, aware of the risk.
I really hope we don't see Bulldogs players doing it or being injured by it.
I just want to sit back with a cold beer and enjoy some cracking football. Not cracking of skulls.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our players have a duty of care this week to belt Kieran Foran all day, every day, Hyundai and send him and his coach back to Desney land.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree entirely. Players are more than aware of the risks.
The NRL has responsibility for providing a safe workplace.
I just watched the Fox 'mini' and heard the commentators talking about May's 'duty of care'.

The NRL has primary duty of care to provide a safe workplace.
If it is proven to be negligent in providing a safe workplace, then it is potentially liable.
We have seen the type of 'tackle' May made last night quite a bit over the past season or two. It seems to be coming more common. And it is right to say players are not ignorant of what they are exposing their bodies to.
Even while the consequent impacts are increasingly sickening.
The NRL has a duty of care to identify the dangers posed by increased frequency of these 'tackles' and to take appropriate action.
If it doesn't then it runs the risk of being proven negligent and liable for damages.
So the NRL's problem is negligence (not duty of care which is clearly established).
May, and any other player using this technique is just doing what they have been trained to do.
Players who are injured by it are, as you say, aware of the risk.
I really hope we don't see Bulldogs players doing it or being injured by it.
I just want to sit back with a cold beer and enjoy some cracking football. Not cracking of skulls.
Still cant believe he escapes charge.. NRL is ridiculous.

They will not learn until someone dies.