Protecting the Player and Duty of Care

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Interesting to see the penalty applied for duty of care with the may/walsh head clash in the riff game tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad they did. It had to be introduced. Too many head clashes. Should be allowed to activate 18th man also.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Interesting to see the penalty applied for duty of care with the may/walsh head clash in the riff game tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly T-Rocket......somewhat different circumstances (one on one tackle), but the call now for acting with a "Duty of Care" astounds me. Just two partial quotes for todays media reports......".. The hit doesn't look late but referee Gerard Sutton explains that May has a "duty of care" to bend into the tackle to avoid such heavy contact."...(Source: Nine Wide World Sport live coverage of the game. Secondly there was this ....."....May was placed on report for failing to lower his body height and attempt to make a tackle."....Source: NRL online Post match Report.

Following these reports, it is possible that May will have to face the Judiciary.......but lo and behold McInnes escapes any great attention with his head clash which resulted in slightly similar injuries ......................Is it because it was only a Bulldog prop that was involved and not a star player from one of the more favoured teams..........CONSISTENCY please...that's all we ask.....

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So now they are going to penalise players for “duty of care” after their rule changes forced the change In tackling technique. The NRL created this and now they are going to make the players responsible for their fuck up. This is what happens when you have people making rules in the game that have either never pulled on a boot or never played above park level football.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So now they are going to penalise players for “duty of care” after their rule changes forced the change In tackling technique. The NRL created this and now they are going to make the players responsible for their fuck up. This is what happens when you have people making rules in the game that have either never pulled on a boot or never played above park level football.
It will be difficult to adjudicate but I just seen the May on Walsh one again and even though its accidental May jumps into the collision. His feet are basically off the ground on contact.

I understand the duty of care aspect as the hit was avoidable, reckon he should cop 2 weeks for it and should have been at least binned.

Bottomline is it could have been avoided, he chose the wrong avenue to stop the attacker.

In regards to the Poasa and Mcinnes hit, that was unavoidable. Poasa ran straight at Mcinnes and he stood his ground, purely a collision with heads involved.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It will be difficult to adjudicate but I just seen the May on Walsh one again and even though its accidental May jumps into the collision. His feet are basically off the ground on contact.

I understand the duty of care aspect as the hit was avoidable, reckon he should cop 2 weeks for it and should have been at least binned.

Bottomline is it could have been avoided, he chose the wrong avenue to stop the attacker.

In regards to the Poasa and Mcinnes hit, that was unavoidable. Poasa ran straight at Mcinnes and he stood his ground, purely a collision with heads involved.
My opinion, if you watch it live and not slowed down you will see that may had no time to pull out of it.
May ran straight at Walsh cause he thought he might step back in as he usually does and dance his way around, but Walsh passed as may got there.
You can also see may wrap his arms around Walsh but their heads collide. There is no way he can adjust his tackle.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My opinion, if you watch it live and not slowed down you will see that may had no time to pull out of it.
May ran straight at Walsh cause he thought he might step back in as he usually does and dance his way around, but Walsh passed as may got there.
You can also see may wrap his arms around Walsh but their heads collide. There is no way he can adjust his tackle.
Sorry but its looks even worse in real speed lol I think you need to watch it again...

He literally jumps meaning he launched himself into the tackle so the defense of " he had no time to pull out" is pretty weak considering his intention was to clobber the annoying pretty boy without any duty of care.

Its a shocking attempt at a tackle, when he could have easily bent the back and gone low. Its indefensible in my opinion... The more i watch it the more i think he should plead guilty to 3 weeks.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bottom line is, the game needs to try and prevent serious head knocks. If this encourages players to have better tackle technique, than it’s a positive. I don’t remember many accidental head knocks in my playing days, nothing like in today’s game.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sorry but its looks even worse in real speed lol I think you need to watch it again...

He literally jumps meaning he launched himself into the tackle so the defense of " he had no time to pull out" is pretty weak considering his intention was to clobber the annoying pretty boy without any duty of care.

Its a shocking attempt at a tackle, when he could have easily bent the back and gone low. Its indefensible in my opinion... The more i watch it the more i think he should plead guilty to 3 weeks.
It’s accidental head clash, pretty sure they’ve watched a lot of videos on Walsh and rushed up to stop him .
Nothing malice about that.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s accidental head clash, pretty sure they’ve watched a lot of videos on Walsh and rushed up to stop him .
Nothing malice about that.
I repeat.. watch it again.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a collision in a collision sport. End of story. The people here going on about "duty of care" have never played the game at this level or speed so need to sit this one out.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

It’s poor technique but you can’t lay it on may he has been taught to tackle that way since Jnr reps

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s poor technique but you can’t lay it on may he has been taught to tackle that way since Jnr reps
At first I thought the same thing until i watched it again mate.. Its one of the worst fcuking techniques i have ever seen and needs to go. Its even worse than Finucanes one last year adding May jumps and launches himself into this one... Like launch jump with plenty of intent.

I just dont see how you can get that hit right..

Last edited:

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe there are some lawyers on The Kennel who can clarify, but I thought the comparable legal concept is negligence (or recklessness) on the part of someone who has a 'duty of care'.
Duty of care is about the responsibilities we have for each other. It is only when there is 'negligence' that there is a problem.
The original discussion in this thread was about the NRL has a duty of care to take appropriate action if they become aware of a safety risk in the workplace.
The emerging technique of defenders running in and putting their whole body in front of an attacker moving towards them at high speed creates a significant risk of violent impact of heads. The recent examples are McKinnon and May.
At the same time more research came out this week which showed the proportion of ex-players with long term brain damage is greater than previous thought.
There was a previous post in this thread which suggested making changes to hit ups from kick-offs. That needs to happen straight away. Someone is going to suffer an immediate and significant brain injury.
If not many people will be reluctant to watch Origin because Billy Slater has no hesitation in psyching up his players to bash heads and the game is faster this year. Another post in this thread made the comparison with UFC and that is correct. NRL seems to think that is who they're competing with.
It was interesting how Faamausili got the knock last week and not a peep out of anyone. But when a 'star' player like Walsh cops a reckless hit to his head, the referees and commentators are all over it.
How many players in other grades or at suburban or country club level will suffer permanent brain damage from a reckless high-speed body/head impact this weekend?
Finally, I get a sense Ciraldo is not one of the coaches training players to tackle this way. If so, he should be applauded for that.
Enjoy the game tomorrow!
Both grades on Fox apparently?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a collision in a collision sport. End of story. The people here going on about "duty of care" have never played the game at this level or speed so need to sit this one out.
If somebody blind side hit me like that I would stomp on his fcuken head for being such a dip shit *****... Its a dog shit meat head attempt at a tackle and nothing elegant about it.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As I see it there are 2 aspects to this;

The players involved are of similar size, it’s not a case of a big guy beating up a small guy. There is a high closing speed, both players are very quick, so not a lot of time for either to change direction or attitude. There is no time for malice, no time for May to think how can I hit this guy to achieve the maximum damage. It’s a head clash, not an arm or shoulder to the head. There was just as much chance of May getting injured as Walsh, down to the luck of where the heads made contact.

Secondly, I’m sure the Penrith players would have watched countless hours of Walsh attacking and been coached on strategies to cut him off before he gets going. Hit him early, before he can step or build any pace, before he has time to look for gaps. Also by cutting down his time you get him guessing what his move is, put doubt in his mind. Plus a little bit of fear goes a long way in lessoning his free running, no one can touch me attitude.

Hopefully Ciraldo can get our guys to do the same.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe there are some lawyers on The Kennel who can clarify, but I thought the comparable legal concept is negligence (or recklessness) on the part of someone who has a 'duty of care'.
Duty of care is about the responsibilities we have for each other. It is only when there is 'negligence' that there is a problem.
The original discussion in this thread was about the NRL has a duty of care to take appropriate action if they become aware of a safety risk in the workplace.
The emerging technique of defenders running in and putting their whole body in front of an attacker moving towards them at high speed creates a significant risk of violent impact of heads. The recent examples are McKinnon and May.
At the same time more research came out this week which showed the proportion of ex-players with long term brain damage is greater than previous thought.
There was a previous post in this thread which suggested making changes to hit ups from kick-offs. That needs to happen straight away. Someone is going to suffer an immediate and significant brain injury.
If not many people will be reluctant to watch Origin because Billy Slater has no hesitation in psyching up his players to bash heads and the game is faster this year. Another post in this thread made the comparison with UFC and that is correct. NRL seems to think that is who they're competing with.
It was interesting how Faamausili got the knock last week and not a peep out of anyone. But when a 'star' player like Walsh cops a reckless hit to his head, the referees and commentators are all over it.
How many players in other grades or at suburban or country club level will suffer permanent brain damage from a reckless high-speed body/head impact this weekend?
Finally, I get a sense Ciraldo is not one of the coaches training players to tackle this way. If so, he should be applauded for that.
Enjoy the game tomorrow!
Both grades on Fox apparently?
By the time they get to the NRL, players know full well their chances of being injured, they sign contracts that spell out the risks that they are willingly to take. They have had hundreds of sessions with club player welfare officers explaining the risks. Players are not ignorant of what they are exposing their bodies to, they play the game with that knowledge and have agreed to accepting the risks. If they don’t want to risk it then then can simply choose not to play, to take on some other vocation.

Of course this was not always the case, but it is now, players play knowing what can happen to them, today, tomorrow and for the rest of their lives.

Always a Bulldog

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As I see it there are 2 aspects to this;

The players involved are of similar size, it’s not a case of a big guy beating up a small guy. There is a high closing speed, both players are very quick, so not a lot of time for either to change direction or attitude. There is no time for malice, no time for May to think how can I hit this guy to achieve the maximum damage. It’s a head clash, not an arm or shoulder to the head. There was just as much chance of May getting injured as Walsh, down to the luck of where the heads made contact.

Secondly, I’m sure the Penrith players would have watched countless hours of Walsh attacking and been coached on strategies to cut him off before he gets going. Hit him early, before he can step or build any pace, before he has time to look for gaps. Also by cutting down his time you get him guessing what his move is, put doubt in his mind. Plus a little bit of fear goes a long way in lessoning his free running, no one can touch me attitude.

Hopefully Ciraldo can get our guys to do the same.

Always a Bulldog

We are not applauding kamikaze blind side dog shots when a bloke steams in and jumps into a tackle... There is no place in this sport for it and it needs to go!

Who would want there kid to play a sport knowing one day he might get his skull crushed from a similiar hit..

RUB IT OUT! REWARD LEGS TACKLES FFS.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
At first I thought the same thing until i watched it again mate.. Its one of the worst fcuking techniques i have ever seen and needs to go. Its even worse than Finucanes one last year adding May jumps and launches himself into this one... Like launch jump with plenty of intent.

I just dont see how you can get that hit right..
If he’s taught to bend his back as a kid that contact one on one never happens. This is a technique issue and it’s the reason I quit coaching junior reps, because the technique was forced on to coaches across the code and I can only speak for Queensland but The administration of the QRL where too piss weak to fight it. There has always been and always will be collision injuries in Rugby league but this rash of head clash injuries was always going to happen and the NRL was told it was going to happen by more than one person 15 years ago.