Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Source: Roar
Author: Andre Georges,
Date: 17th July 2014

The last few weeks we’ve read about Todd Carney performing ‘the bubbler’, shoulder charges being penalised during Origin, David Williams being suspended for betting, the Shayne Hayne decision (or lack thereof), and Darius Boyd’s amazing interview.

The list could go on. Everyone has an opinion and more often than not, the opinion is negative.
Recently I read an article by Paul Kent addressing his concerns for the game and player behaviour both on and off the field.

I reckon most footy players are some of the nicest, most gracious people I’ve ever met. I would like to highlight one example.

I got engaged late last year. Of course the Missus immediately began planning our engagement party (or my wake as some mates referred to it) and one my closest and most enterprising friends had the bright idea of asking one of the Bulldogs first grade players if they’d stop in to say hello.

(I’m an ardent Bulldogs supporters, unfortunately the Missus is a Roosters supporter, and I have buckley’s of convincing her otherwise.)

None of my mates know any players directly. We’ve met them at fan days, had pictures taken with them but just like any other fan of any other sporting team there is a great divide between us and them.

Still, my mate from sent Frank Pritchard a message on Twitter asking him if he’d stop by. On the night, quite out of the blue, Frank the Tank was kind enough to stop in with his beautiful wife and they were absolutely lovely.

When they first arrived they said they could stay for around 30 minutes, but ended up staying for close to an hour and a half. We had quite a few kids in our family who play rugby league and they couldn’t believe their luck. Frank was gracious enough to take photos with each and every one of them.

He was even more patient with the bigger kids – every ‘adult’ male at the party – as we asked questions and pestered him.

This might sound like a gushing fan letter, well it is. Rugby league players get a bad wrap and the game itself is battered from pillar to post. It’s all the small things though that you just don’t hear about, like the co-captain of your favourite team, someone you idolise and cheer on, who turns up to your house to congratulate you on starting the next chapter of your life.

He didn’t have to do it, no one forced him, he didn’t make a big deal about it and unfortunately there isn’t a lot of money to be made by highlighting it, so someone like Paul Kent or Buzz Rothfield would never bother.

It’s been asked where the gentlemen of rugby league have gone, well they’re right under our noses, captaining our teams, leading from the front, and just generally being good guys.

Surely I’m not the only one to have a great experience. If you have, write about it, talk about it, get it out there. I talk to fans all the time who have similar stories to mine – they’re the norm.

Unfortunately, listening to the powers that be, you’d never know it.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Good story!

To be perfectly honest, just about all of first graders are gentlemen. Led by Frank and Michael Ennis. Two of the most down to earth people you will meet.

This was one reason I was so annoyed to lose Halatau. A true gentleman.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Good on ya Frank.

I've met a few lads up on the Coast over the years. One who I will admit is not only a nice bloke but a funny and humble bloke is Nate Myles bumped into him a while ago and again yday at my work. Nice bloke. Even when asked to do photos he had no problems.

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This article was written by one of my mates. For the record I'm the mate he is referring to..

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on yah Andre Georges, for writing a story that our players probably do daily.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
its true...we only hear the bad and not enough of the good...
i got married at Doltone house a couple of yrs ago...and the guy who organised the wedding for me (Steve at Dolton house - best bloke) knew me and my missus are huge bulldog fans...
and to my surprise on the wedding night at the reception...he came up to me and said i got someone here to say hello...and what do you know... big Corey Payne is there standing there to meet me and my wife... he was only meant to stay around for 20 mins or so too...but ended up there for an hour...and that night i realised just how smart of a guy Corey is...great bloke

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty cool story bro. I like when our players get involved in some random acts of kindness.

coreyhart

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Your story has just confirmed that Frankie the Tank is a great guy. Well done Frank & Raima. A very nice gesture by you both. Dene is also a true gentleman of the game and was sad to see him leave (but football is a business these days).
Good story!

To be perfectly honest, just about all of first graders are gentlemen. Led by Frank and Michael Ennis. Two of the most down to earth people you will meet.

This was one reason I was so annoyed to lose Halatau. A true gentleman.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This statement could not be anymore true:

"there isn’t a lot of money to be made by highlighting it, so someone like Paul Kent or Buzz Rothfield would never bother."

We all need to stop feeding these two trolls with page visits and re-posts.

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading this has made my day to be honest. Lining up to meet The Tank in the 2011 xmas party for an autograph was well worth it. Just seems like a gentle giant.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Wow, great story and well done Frank Pritchard. A great role model and ambassador for our club.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Absolutely awesome story mate. Paul **** was saying just last week on the footy show with Ikin that they do heaps of good stories about players.....what a load of crap!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolutely awesome story mate. Paul **** was saying just last week on the footy show with Ikin that they do heaps of good stories about players.....what a load of crap!
Lol
I'm sure there was once a time when **** actually wrote about league in a good way . then 1 day he went from Clarke Kent to super ****

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Lol
I'm sure there was once a time when **** actually wrote about league in a good way . then 1 day he went from Clarke Kent to super ****
LOL. Yeah never understood how someone can stand there and say they love something but then do a job trying to destroy it the way he does! As humans go he's struggling big time.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The Footy Show said that 99% of stories are positive. They must be including team list announcements

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome read, good work Tank and co!

LOL. Yeah never understood how someone can stand there and say they love something but then do a job trying to destroy it the way he does! As humans go he's struggling big time.
Hypocrites brother lol

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
Pritchard and Kasiano attended a fundraiser last night to raise money for research for Angelman Syndrome. Good blokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
My son and I went to the game last night and although the Bulldogs lost, we met frank Pritchard after the game in Aisle 130 and after all the crowd had gone, frank spent 20 minutes of his own time signing autographs, posing for photos and chatting with fans.
He did this with such sincerity and warmth. This guy is a great example of who we want at our club.he is a credit to the bulldogs and rugby league.
After all the bad publicity league players get, It's a shame these acts of kindness get missed by the media

Status
Not open for further replies.