Opinion Pre Season Training

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Saw a bit of training today 30/1 - lots of emphasis on quick ball movement again.

Injured or light training or absent
Patola - was jogging
Salmon - moon boot apparently all good in a few days
Hughes, Chrichton, JAC, Kiraz, Poasa F, Oloapu
Sutton, Knight, Topine

I think there are 43 players - the top 30 plus the development and train n trial (n Topine)
Topine was there?

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Are they really doing quick ball movement?

This has been my worry from the few clips I have seen from training.

I saw a clip from panthers training the other day and they look fast and crisp everyone in full speed motion.

What I have seen from us (in what are literally short clips) Is everything is slow motion, flat footed catch and pass. This was a huge downfall to our games last year. The good teams just played so much faster and more direct than us.

It’s positive I hear you say they training fast. Hopefully it means good things for a better year ahead.
Direct play with a few offloads a half would be my way to go. A set play now and then, cut out, etc is the way to go. Easier for interchangeable players covering for those missing that were in a main role to help promote the ball.
Oh well, that's what pre season is for, as long as they start the season switched on rather than looking like noobs

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Topine being back is an interesting one. Always liked the kid and thought he did well when playing his preferred spot. Hope he comes back into the fold and works his arse off.
He’s not back, old mate meant he was absent (unless I’m mistaken).

I doubt he’s been back to Belmore since it all went down.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
even xerri looks like a white version of Usain Bolt in those sunnies
If I knew a dancer that did the spirit fingers thing I'd make reference to Xerri looking like a tattooed ballerina/dancer. Unfortunately I don't so I can't.

I'm not critical of Xerri. I just saw the spirit fingers and the joke begged to escape.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are they really doing quick ball movement?

This has been my worry from the few clips I have seen from training.

I saw a clip from panthers training the other day and they look fast and crisp everyone in full speed motion.

What I have seen from us (in what are literally short clips) Is everything is slow motion, flat footed catch and pass. This was a huge downfall to our games last year. The good teams just played so much faster and more direct than us.

It’s positive I hear you say they training fast. Hopefully it means good things for a better year ahead.
From what I've read, prior to Christmas was supposed to be focused more on fitness than on skills. So if that's true. I guess it explains some rustiness.

In all honesty, even if we make a lot of mistakes. It'll still be a huge help if we're fut enough to not crumble afterwards.

We had some good games last year. But it really killed us that the team started playing in first gear if we fell 12 or more points behind.

The Panthers are a measuring stick that we aren't ready to stand next to. FFS Melbourne were the benchmark for decades and they have no answers to what Penrith can dish out on game day

I guess the fact that there's such a focus on preseason this year means there's a bit more fan belief. While most don't expect finals football. We do expect more wins and hopefully zero floggings when we don't win. So to me the measuring stick is last year's team. Bare minimum for me to be happy would be to still see the team busting their guts trying when we've fallen well behind because they care about our for and against. What lost me last year was seeing multiple players just decide that staying in the fight mentally wasn't for them.

We're a new team this year. We're going to be more cohesive by round 1. Don't let pre season sloppiness steal your hopes.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s not back, old mate meant he was absent (unless I’m mistaken).

I doubt he’s been back to Belmore since it all went down.
You are correct. Clumsy phrasing by me. I tried to list the injured and absent

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Speaks really well. Very positive. Did not shy away from the question mark around our FR but gave a great, supportive answer. He is obviously loving being a Bulldog.
Great interview
You can tell he has come from a good system, hard worker and good human being
Could be a big smokey for us this year