Opinion Pre Season Training

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Any fans who know there footy arent gonna care if we miss out on centres and wingers esp when they are commanding premium brass. Its the missing out on top props halves and fullbacks which haunt high footy iq fans and ultimetly the clubs prospects
Would you say that the Tigers forward pack (on paper at least) was more highly rated than the Dogs?

You're looking at players like Klemmer, Papali, Bateman, Utoikamanu, Ofahengaue, Twal, Seyfarth, Api ...

On paper I'd say their forwards at least were and still are much stronger than we've got especially when it comes to the front row.

Didn't we finish last year 6 points ahead of that rabble even though our 2 big name props hardly even played, other star players were out injured for much of the year ...

I'd say high footy IQ fans realise that being a big name ie. TPJ & Thompson, doesn't guarantee success.

Getting players in who fit the culture, values, focus of a football team is much more important in my mind that blowing the checkbook on mercanaries.

We'll get there.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you say that the Tigers forward pack (on paper at least) was more highly rated than the Dogs?

You're looking at players like Klemmer, Papali, Bateman, Utoikamanu, Ofahengaue, Twal, Seyfarth, Api ...

On paper I'd say their forwards at least were and still are much stronger than we've got especially when it comes to the front row.

Didn't we finish last year 6 points ahead of that rabble even though our 2 big name props hardly even played, other star players were out injured for much of the year ...

I'd say high footy IQ fans realise that being a big name ie. TPJ & Thompson, doesn't guarantee success.

Getting players in who fit the culture, values, focus of a football team is much more important in my mind that blowing the checkbook on mercanaries.

We'll get there.
Comparisons with the tigers doewsnt make things any better. We were worse than them and lucky to not get the spoon. They scored more pts than us and conceded less than us.

TPJ isnt quality and was always gonna be a disaster. Thompson was a disappontment but no one really knew if he was quality or not. Guys like afb we know is quality and we know he will change us for the better. We need to do whatever it takes to get the talent we need. We happy to pay overs for a centre and winger why did gus publicly put a limit on how high he would go for afb (which imo was unders) who we desperatly need

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Comparisons with the tigers doewsnt make things any better. We were worse than them and lucky to not get the spoon. They scored more pts than us and conceded less than us.

TPJ isnt quality and was always gonna be a disaster. Thompson was a disappontment but no one really knew if he was quality or not. Guys like afb we know is quality and we know he will change us for the better. We need to do whatever it takes to get the talent we need. We happy to pay overs for a centre and winger why did gus publicly put a limit on how high he would go for afb (which imo was unders) who we desperatly need
You stated that missing out on props, halves and fullbacks haunt high IQ fans. Right?

I simply gave you a clear example when when that wasn't / isn't the case.

The Tigers bought well ... or so we thought ... when it came to their forwards and most predicted they'd finish above us. They finished 6 points behind one of the worst Bulldogs sides we've had for years that was ravaged with injuries.

So, I say you're wrong in saying that ...

The club IS doing whatever it takes to get the talent we desperately need.

Have you not seen the lengths we've gone to to get the best youth players at the club?

Does that mean we'll be successful this year? No.

But, I think the high IQ footy fans as you call it can look at the big picture and see the long-term goals in place.

I'm not trying to change your point of view as I know you won't. Still needs to be said though.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In all fairness, anyone that gets their hopes crushed by a dude who has been completely wrong numerous times and can’t spell or use grammar better than a ten year old school kid needs to reevaluate their life.

Bloke can say what he wants. There’s no doubt our forward situation is a little perplexing. I can’t believe people get upset when someone challenges this narrative.
The power the " clown crew" have in triggering so much of the content on here is crazy. For heavens sake people STOP RESPONDING so we can all enjoy discussing sensible, positive Bulldogs issues and a more hopeful upcoming 2024 season....at present every thread is highjacked with pages and pages of childish back and forth....who benefits the most from this rubbish? Yes it's the attention seeking "clown crew"...it's certainly not the vast majority of Kennellers who want no part of reading this dribble.

Last edited:

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For what its worth there are so many good posts on the site. This particular thread I look forward to updates because fans taking the time to go for a stumble and detail what they see and hear at training is awesome!! I've gained may insights so thanks again and go the dogs.

Doggies2015

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have practically zero faith in that. If it was up to me he would've been trialed at fullback the moment he walked into the club and if he failed there his ass would be sent to the centres where he looks far more comfortable. He runs a line and attacks space as well as any back in the game. Can't say the same about his playmaking..
I still think he’s best position would be fullback playing out the back

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You stated that missing out on props, halves and fullbacks haunt high IQ fans. Right?

I simply gave you a clear example when when that wasn't / isn't the case.

The Tigers bought well ... or so we thought ... when it came to their forwards and most predicted they'd finish above us. They finished 6 points behind one of the worst Bulldogs sides we've had for years that was ravaged with injuries.

So, I say you're wrong in saying that ...

The club IS doing whatever it takes to get the talent we desperately need.

Have you not seen the lengths we've gone to to get the best youth players at the club?

Does that mean we'll be successful this year? No.

But, I think the high IQ footy fans as you call it can look at the big picture and see the long-term goals in place.

I'm not trying to change your point of view as I know you won't. Still needs to be said though.
I will not be buying into any tigers comparisons in a silly attempt to justify or make ourselfs feel better about our own failings.

Improving our jnr pathways (note I use the word improve not fix or repair, these were never broken) addresses about 20-25% of the puzzle and whether it is truly improved remains to be seen and defs not a given. The way we are operating and performing in the other 75-80% of our footy ops is still severly lacking. Weve now had Gus in charge for 2.5 yrs and all weve seen is regression and I forecast even further regression this yr.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The power the " clown crew" have in triggering so much of the content on here is crazy. For heavens sake people STOP RESPONDING so we can all enjoy discussing sensible, positive Bulldogs issues and a more hopeful upcoming 2024 season....at present every thread is highjacked with pages and pages of childish back and forth....who benefits the most from this rubbish? Yes it's the attention seeking "clown crew"...it's certainly not the vast majority of Kennellers who want no part of reading this dribble.
Dont appreciate the insults. Ur off topic ramble attacking other members does not help anything

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We'll get there.
Very well said mate .. [emoji106]

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you find fault with others concers, and genuine attempts to stop the derailing of every single thread, then that's on you.
1. Use the report button like weve all been told if u have concern
2. My issue was with ur attempts to insult other members. Pls dont do it and maybe remove the insults from the post before
3. U have derailed this thread again on ur own by the course of action u took

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Use the report button like weve all been told if u have concern
2. My issue was with ur attempts to insult other members. Pls dont do it and maybe remove the insults from the post before
3. U have derailed this thread again on ur own by the course of action u took
FYI

".at present every thread is highjacked with pages and pages of childish back and forth...."

That refers to ALL those contributing to the pages and pages of arguing...not just the so-called "clown crew".

Last edited:

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
FYI

".at present every thread is highjacked with pages and pages of childish back and forth...."

That refers to ALL those contributing to the pages and pages of arguing...not just the so-called "clown crew".
Aren't you breaking the rule you just suggested. I've blocked them so there isn't even a temptation to reply. Suggest you do the same.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Aren't you breaking the rule you just suggested. I've blocked them so there isn't even a temptation to reply. Suggest you do the same.
Just asking others to stop replying and therefore ruining the threads :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Extremely well considered reply, how long did it take you to come up with that gem? Surely 1967 will now concede that he's lost this argument to a superior football intellect.
I hope so, I don't want to have to read all that again.