Opinion Pre Season Training

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you actually seen him have a bad NRL game ?
Wilson? Definitely. He has good, raw ability. Just needs to learn his trde in the top grade and put polish on everything he does. The most notable thing was he had some shocking hands at times.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone able to post the CC interview in the DT ?
Cameron Ciraldo Q&A: How new recruits will feature in his quest to make the Bulldogs a powerhouse again
Is there a coach with more questions to answer than Cameron Ciraldo?
DAVID RICCIO sits down with the Bulldogs mentor to see what his plans are to make the club competitive again.

With 10 new players coming into his squad, including superstar Stephen Crichton, is there a coach with more questions to answer than Cameron Ciraldo? The Canterbury coach sits down with DAVID RICCIO to outline his plan for turning the battling Bulldogs around.

David Riccio: Cameron, you’re approaching your second season as an NRL coach. No doubt a lot was learned in that first season. Are you seeing things differently going into year two at the Bulldogs?
Cameron Ciraldo: The foundation of the pre-season hasn’t changed; you want to get fitter, faster, stronger and build that foundation. But I think the staff is a lot more cohesive than what it was 12 months ago, having spent a year working together and now understanding the systems and processes we’ve put in place. Also, the new recruits have definitely helped with the intensity and quality of training and that’s something that has pleased me.

DR: When you reviewed the 2023 season, of all the things you wanted to improve, is there one key area which you want to rectify?

CC: Clearly defence. That’s something I’m passionate about and that was something I was really upset about last season. The way our defence panned out, the amount of points (conceding an average 38 per game) we let in is obviously a key focus for us moving forward this year. It’s definitely driving our pre-season, but it also had a major impact in who we recruited.

DR: How confident are you the 10 new players can learn the Dogs’ defensive structure, given the previous roster struggled to meet the standards you want to set?

CC: The actual system is just one part of it. Then above that is the physical side of it and honouring the laws of the game, which is to make sure you’re not having to do too much defence. But at the top of the tree is having 13 players on that field that are totally committed to that system and a squad that is committed to get better defensively everyday. That’s paramount and more important than the actual system. The good thing is, I’m seeing that commitment so far.

DR: What do you need to see to settle on who plays in your halves?

CC: I’d like to think we will make a call before [the trials]. But it will be about the balance of the team and what is best for the team to start the year. Communication was a real work in-progress at the back end of last season. Toby Sexton, when he came in (from round 19), he added a real footy IQ to us and Drew Hutchison is an experienced player as well, who is a really good communicator. Those guys in particular can add that to our squad, but in the end we’ll make a decision on what is best for the team and what gives us good balance across the park.

DR: Matt Burton then, where does he play? I wrote a column last November suggesting that with just how damaging he is at centre, the Dogs should move him out of the halves. What do you think about that?

CC: ‘Burto’ did a lot of great things last season. The games we won, he had a huge impact in. He had some really good moments throughout the year. Now what we’re working with Burto on is his consistency and his level of communication with the team, which he’s really developing right now. Burto is in charge of his own destiny, if he works really hard we’ve spoken about with him, the sky’s the limit for him.

DR: Reed Mahoney has hardly been spoken about. For me, the Dogs’ success in 2024 is heavily linked to Reed taking another big step up. What are you wanting from Reed this season?

CC: I think the first five or six rounds last season, Reed Mahoney was one of the form players of the competition and he showed what a valuable asset to our team. He’s one of our captains and he is really invested in seeing this team succeed. But I will say, I think he would’ve learned a lot last season in terms of leadership and the way he handled disappointment and setbacks. I’ve been really impressed with the way he’s come back, he brings such good energy to our team. We know all the good things he brings to our group and I’m sure he’s learned a number of lessons from last season and he’ll come back a bigger and better player in 2024.

DR: To Reed’s credit, he had a tough initiation to the club given how thin your depth in leadership was in 2023. Does Stephen Crichton immediately join that leadership group in 2024?

CC: We’re having a lot of discussion right now about our leadership model and we’re not going to rush into that. I think leaders emerge through pre-seasons and so I’m interested to see who steps up. With the 10 new recruits, a lot of them have come here to evolve their game into becoming more of a leader, so I’m really excited about what we’re going to uncover through our hard work this pre-season.

DR: Staying on Crichton, what do you think he will do for the squad?

CC: ‘Critta’ is a winner and he’s a total professional. Everything he does is about preparing himself to win on game day and to get his job done. He’s a guy that doesn’t really have days off. Even on the team’s day off he’s either in the gym doing recovery or video and I’d say he’s one of the most internally motivated players I’ve been involved with. If some of our younger players are watching Stephen Crichton prepare, train and recover, like I know the way he does, then he’s going to have a really positive impact on our culture and our club in general.

DR: So, does Crichton play fullback or centre?

CC: He can play anywhere. But a bit like Burto, it will be based on what is best for the team and making sure we’ve got enough balance throughout the team. He’s one of the world’s best centres so he’ll train there, but I know he can play fullback as well, and that’s definitely an option.

DR: One area that concerns me about the Dogs’ roster is the forward pack. You’ve got a bunch of hard workers, but no real enforcer. I suppose the question is, are the guys in the current pack aware of the challenge?

CC: Yeah, we’ve addressed that. We might not have the big names of other clubs, but if we can have the hardest working and tightest forward pack in the comp, there’s no reason we can’t give our backline a chance to showcase their talents. It’s something we’re speaking about constantly, about working together as a pack. There’s some guys in our pack that have a real opportunity to make a name for themselves and that’s exciting.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Continued…

DR: Bronson Xerri is on the comeback trail after four years out of the game. Does his return to rugby league begin in the NSW Cup, simply to find his feet again?

CC: My initial thought was definitely that, that he’s going to take a while to get going. But I’ve got to say, he’s surprised me with how quickly he’s picked everything up. I’m not going to write him off on anything really. The way he’s turned up, the way he’s applied himself to his training and wanting to get better every day, he’s definitely capable of pushing for selection early in the season.

DR: I do like the signing of former Warrior Josh Curran. Will he wear the Canterbury No.13 jersey in 2024?

CC: Nothing is locked in at the moment, but when we first met Josh he definitely made it clear that his favourite position was that lock role. We are very aware of what he can offer our team in that role. He’s slotted in there in the pre-season with Kurt Mann an option there as well. They’ve both shown what they can do with the ball in hand, but also their intent in defence. Josh is pretty versatile too, he did a good job for the Warriors in the back row, so we’ve got options there.

DR: A year in as an NRL coach and it hasn’t been short of challenges. Do you still love the job? Do you have any regrets about becoming a head coach?

CC: No, no regrets. I’ve loved the challenge. I love what this club is about, what it has been built on and I love the area we represent. I’m so motivated to get this club back to where it’s meant to be. I’m happy with the squad we’ve put together and I’m excited with what I’m seeing at training.

DR: Canterbury fans are passionate and loyal and they also don’t mind venting their feelings. Do you feel their presence and demand for success?

CC: As a kid, one of my earliest football memories was driving through Belmore at finals time with the huge flags flying across Burwood Road. I love the buzz that this club creates for the community. I definitely feel their passion, it’s something that really motivates us to win. There’s a process to get there, but I’d love nothing more to be in the final series with the Dogs.

DR: Last one. Outstanding rookie Jacob Preston came from nowhere last year to claim the club’s best player award. Have you got another smokey in your back pocket that might pop up for the Dogs in 2024?

CC: I’d love to give you a name or two, but it’s hard because our Jersey Flegg side won the competition last season and I was so impressed with the way they played in the finals series. They played a real Bulldogs style of game, all determination and grit. I’m excited by a number of players that are coming through that Flegg team. Jacob was a guy that just took every opportunity last season and forced us to pick him in round one. He played all year through the pain barrier and was a deserved player of the year. Some of those Flegg guys have that opportunity right now.

DR: Thanks and good luck.

CC: Thanks Dave.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wilson? Definitely. He has good, raw ability. Just needs to learn his trde in the top grade and put polish on everything he does. The most notable thing was he had some shocking hands at times.
Agree. He did make some some simple errors.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah that's the challenge deciding who to keep between Skelton and Wilson. For trade purposes I'd see more value with Skelton out for a middle, but yeah I'd be sad to lose him. But as we've seen lately tough calls gotta be made.
Mentioned it a while ago, id like for Skelton to be moved to backrow in reserve grade with plan of having him replace Kikau when required. Unfortunately Ciro probably use someone like Salmon for that though
Yeah im also surprised that skelton hasn't been transitioned to the back row. Perhaps we have enough back rowers already. Would be good to see him get a decent run.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what’s the story with attending training sessions. I know the times they are on, however are they “open” to the public? Is there a chance to meet some of the players briefly after they finish?
How long does the session normally go for?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So what’s the story with attending training sessions. I know the times they are on, however are they “open” to the public? Is there a chance to meet some of the players briefly after they finish?
How long does the session normally go for?
Usually just walk in. As Gus has given the times seems that they continue to be open to public.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
went to the training session yesterday, should of seen how he was running and almost breaking the line. His super excited, loves the hectic weather in western Sydney (joking). Spoke to him after the session and is a very humble bloke.

Blake taafe was my biggest surprise. Bloke looked the fittest closely by Critta and Toby.
Curran was in SOO talks playing lock at the start of 2022 when Tohu was down

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Trials will be interesting that’s for sure. However I dont want us to give too much away in the trials. I like how we are underrated and flying under the radar atm. If we come out and put 50 on an under strength Melbourne side, teams may start taking us more seriously. I really want us to set up a nice ambush for parra in rd 1.
Mate I have all my fingers crossed for that type outcome. Everyone talking about who should play where all the while we outplay and ambush everyone I'd say most clubs are already taking us seriously, we'll definitely be competitive so atleast we wont have to put up with some of the things we saw last year.
Usually just walk in. As Gus has given the times seems that they continue to be open to public.
Do they let in mans best friend?

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate I have all my fingers crossed for that type outcome. Everyone talking about who should play where all the while we outplay and ambush everyone I'd say most clubs are already taking us seriously, we'll definitely be competitive so atleast we wont have to put up with some of the things we saw last year.

Do they let in mans best friend?
How could they possibly say no to letting a person in with their dog to dogs training?

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How could they possibly say no to letting a person in with their dog to dogs training?
Sweet...how many 4runners you rekon can get to a saturday training session? A big pack would be mad.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet...how many 4runners you rekon can get to a saturday training session? A big pack would be mad.
Just to confirm, I don’t know if they let dogs in. I also do not know what a 4Runner is.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
...a dog. Dogs have 4 legs and they like to run...well mine does.
Iv seen people with their dogs - mainly just walking through on the way to and from rather than sitting n watching training

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought it was a toyota
Yeah it is...technically one of the first SUVs, it was a surprise who also built one of the first SUVs...Lamborghini! One of the ugliest. They squeezed the V12 of the day into this thing and looks like it didnt fit so they made this bonnet for it that looks halarious! Anyway more useless information. Go the dogs.

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Went down to BSG training for about 45mins

Kiks mostly doing sideline runs with Connor ,rfm & Kiraz.
Skelton was training on the L/ side (outside ) xerri,can only assume was there in Jac spot ..JAC was mostly with the rehab group
Taafe was mainly @ FB
Burto L-R passing is not the best..
As someone mention J.T looks to be a massive ball buster