Possible top 30 with Cheese and Pearce

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really believe Cotric (rep player) would be the only player the Storm would swap Cheese for with us for 2022. I believe the Storm will be keen to do a swap because if they do it now and we pay freight of 150-200K for 2022 and 2023 they would get a decent player like Cotric at a reduced rate for not 1 but for 2 years. If they fail to do a trade Smith leaves for 2023 and they get nothing in return other than his cap space. They won't get another "established" player of Cotric's class as cheap again.

When Gould spoke yesterday it sounded like we didn't have much cap left when he said the cap for 2022 was "set" but hopefully we still have a few hundred grand because there was that recent article which said Vaughan wouldn't be our last purchase. To afford Smith (and Pearce) I believe we would need to swap a high earner like Cotric. The Storm would surely be willing to pay 450K of his 650K salary. We then use that towards Smith.

Shop 2 others on decent money who aren't required - Elliott and Flanagan. Elliott we could make most of our money back on. He's on 480K. I think someone like the Warriors or Saints would pay 450K at least. Flanagan - the Sharks would probably pay 250K now or if his old man gets the gig at the Tigers they would likely pay at least 300K

So if we lose Cotric, Flanagan and Elliott who you wouldn't even notice missing greatly we could improve 2 spine positions and have exactly the type of team we need for 2022. I really believe Burton needs an experienced half beside him especially for his first year as a starter and we're not going deep into the top 8 with JMK as our leading hooker so this is the way I would go.

SPINE:
Matt Dufty
Matt Burton
Mitchell Pearce
Brandon Smith

1 Matt Dufty
2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
4 Jake Averillo (Schoupp / Alamoti)
5 Corey Allan (Averillo / Okunbor)
6 Matt Burton
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 Paul Vaughan
9 Brandon Smith
10 Luke Thompson
11 TPJ
12 RFM
13 Josh Jackson

14 BBO
15 Jack Hetherington
16 Ava Seumanufagai
17 Mavoni Tuifua

18 Jayden Okunbor
19 Tui Katoa
20 Christian Crichton (on minimum wage which you would think he'd have to accept)
21 Aaron Schoupp
22 Paul Alamoti
23 Brandon Wakeham
24 Watson Heleta
25 Corey Waddell
26 Joe Stimson
27 Jackson Topine
28 Matt Doorey
29 JMK
30 Bradley Deitz

DEVELOPEMENT PLAYERS
Chris Patolo
Ediq Ambrosyev
Falakiko Manu

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cheese won't be for Cotric. It'll be one of our second rowers that can play lock. If we don't have anyone they want from that category (e.g. RFM, Doorey, Elliott) Cheese will sign for 23 or he'll go elsewhere for 22 if Storm get a suitable replacement from another club (and Cheese wants to go there).

The Knights are also a basket case without Pearce. They're a much better side with him (yes, injury prone). I don't see him going anywhere personally.

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really believe Cotric (rep player) would be the only player the Storm would swap Cheese for with us for 2022. I believe the Storm will be keen to do a swap because if they do it now and we pay freight of 150-200K for 2022 and 2023 they would get a decent player like Cotric at a reduced rate for not 1 but for 2 years. If they fail to do a trade Smith leaves for 2023 and they get nothing in return other than his cap space. They won't get another "established" player of Cotric's class as cheap again.

When Gould spoke yesterday it sounded like we didn't have much cap left when he said the cap for 2022 was "set" but hopefully we still have a few hundred grand because there was that recent article which said Vaughan wouldn't be our last purchase. To afford Smith (and Pearce) I believe we would need to swap a high earner like Cotric. The Storm would surely be willing to pay 450K of his 650K salary. We then use that towards Smith.

Shop 2 others on decent money who aren't required - Elliott and Flanagan. Elliott we could make most of our money back on. He's on 480K. I think someone like the Warriors or Saints would pay 450K at least. Flanagan - the Sharks would probably pay 250K now or if his old man gets the gig at the Tigers they would likely pay at least 300K

So if we lose Cotric, Flanagan and Elliott who you wouldn't even notice missing greatly we could improve 2 spine positions and have exactly the type of team we need for 2022. I really believe Burton needs an experienced half beside him especially for his first year as a starter and we're not going deep into the top 8 with JMK as our leading hooker so this is the way I would go.

SPINE:
Matt Dufty
Matt Burton
Mitchell Pearce
Brandon Smith

1 Matt Dufty
2 JAC
3 Brent Naden
4 Jake Averillo (Schoupp / Alamoti)
5 Corey Allan (Averillo / Okunbor)
6 Matt Burton
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 Paul Vaughan
9 Brandon Smith
10 Luke Thompson
11 TPJ
12 RFM
13 Josh Jackson

14 BBO
15 Jack Hetherington
16 Ava Seumanufagai
17 Mavoni Tuifua

18 Jayden Okunbor
19 Tui Katoa
20 Christian Crichton (on minimum wage which you would think he'd have to accept)
21 Aaron Schoupp
22 Paul Alamoti
23 Brandon Wakeham
24 Watson Heleta
25 Corey Waddell
26 Joe Stimson
27 Jackson Topine
28 Matt Doorey
29 JMK
30 Bradley Deitz

DEVELOPEMENT PLAYERS
Chris Patolo
Ediq Ambrosyev
Falakiko Manu
For the last time ediq is years away 2023 or 2024 at least

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It won't be Cotric. It'll be one of our second rowers that can play lock. If we don't have anyone they want from that category (e.g. RFM, Doorey, Elliott) Cheese will sign for 23 or he'll go elsewhere for 22 if Storm get a suitable replacement from another club (and Cheese wants to go there).

The Knights are also a basket case without Pearce. They're a much better side with him (yes, injury prone). I don't see him going anywhere personally.
Storm publicly said though like-for-like replacement (as in quality). You would think Cotric would be the best quality we could offer and we would need to trade someone like him on top dollar to free up maximum cap I believe. I wouldn't think they would accept Elliott or even RFM but if they do and we can still afford Smith and Pearce for 2022 and keep Cotric even better. I've heard from multiple sources we're in with a better chance than anyone else at getting Smith also.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Storm publicly said though like-for-like replacement (as in quality). You would think Cotric would be the best quality we could offer and we would need to trade someone like him on top dollar to free up maximum cap I believe. I wouldn't think they would accept Elliott or even RFM but if they do and we can still afford Smith and Pearce for 2022 and keep Cotric even better. I've heard from multiple sources we're in with a better chance than anyone else at getting Smith also.
I don't think they need or want a winger. They've got Coates, Jennings (been playing like a rep winger this year) and Leremia (local junior). They also recently signed Meaney for depth. They're losing Finucane and most likely Cheese who are both their locks. Even if they move someone like NAS or Kamikamika into lock I think a bench lock would be appealing to them (assuming they're not shit, e.g. Waddell and Stimson).

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Na bro he’s in mal Meniga cup it’s like there Harold Matt’s cup
Okay thank you. I read though there were other players in the same comp winning team as him who are now playing first grade though ie: Coates etc.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think they need or want a winger. They've got Coates, Jennings (been playing like a rep winger this year) and Leremia (local junior). They also recently signed Meaney for depth. They're losing Finucane and most likely Cheese who are both their locks. Even if they move someone like NAS or Kamikamika into lock I think a bench lock would be appealing to them (assuming they're not shit, e.g. Waddell and Stimson).
If they took Elliott and paid anything more than 400K that would be a dream come true. Imagine if they asked for Thompson. I don't think too many fans on here would agree to that after his last game for us. We should offer up Hetherington. He's going to miss a lot more games for us it seems. Maybe Bellamy and co can teach him how to tackle properly

Last edited:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not saying you are correct about Pearce, but I do think a few handy HB would like the opportunity to play half alongside what many are tipping the next big thing. If we wanted it we could probably get someone towards the end of their career on reduced salary, but think we would need to move Flanagan on with little freight for that to happen.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not saying you are correct about Pearce, but I do think a few handy HB would like the opportunity to play half alongside what many are tipping the next big thing. If we wanted it we could probably get someone towards the end of their career on reduced salary, but think we would need to move Flanagan on with little freight for that to happen.
I would have been happy for us to sign Aiden Sezer even just in case Flanagan doesn't come good. Sezer would have been fairly cheap.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes we are.

Both at half price too
If we are getting them for good money and not paying close to the figures some have been throwing around on here, I’d actually be happy with that.